Wiki Posts
Search

48 in CE - good idea?!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by teledude
Is that BA protocol or your opinion?
Ask the crew on your next flight and find out!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by shefgab
That's Tuesday CC question sorted. In my experience mixed order seems to happen about 30%.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by shefgab
I have asked GGL and CS and have a fairly woolly response.... (and a bucket load of avios for running out of the food I wanted yesterday with 17 in CE! - row 4)
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It’s front to back with no priority given to cardholders.
shefgab, HIDDY, LTN Phobia and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
48 pax w. 3 CC seems about right. With that ratio on a single aisle aircraft, having one 1 CC staff the galley is not only about right but also avoids over-crowding the aisle.

The service order does not really matter so long as the selection order does. If one either asks the Golds first or at least assigns them to their choice, not sure it makes much sense to race around the cabin with trays.

In the final analysis, it's not the number of CE pax, but the staffing and assuring that the aircraft is catered that matters.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
To link to a recent thread about CE seat choice, this is why I always prefer a row at the front rather than an exit row in CE. Served quickly, choice of meal and you can grab the cabin crew relatively easily for a refill.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by teledude
I have asked GGL and CS and have a fairly woolly response.... (and a bucket load of avios for running out of the food I wanted yesterday with 17 in CE! - row 4)
Out of interest how many avios did you get for not get your food choice? Never chased avios if I did not get my choice and settled for something else. Am I missing out?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA
48 and three crew members working in Club is the right amount of crew. There are triggers for extra crew both caused by BOB uptake and Club loads. The new Club Europe does require more preparation hence the CSM's decision to stay in the galley. Food choices will run out towards the last couple of rows as it is not over catered. There is no requirement to prioritise meals to status. The service will take longer with 48 as opposed to 20, however, the extra crew member should speed things up.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
I did LHR-GVA with 48 in CE in July. It was front to back but as I order a KSML I was flung my meal about 3 minutes after takeoff. My neighbour was given his about 15 minutes to landing. Yet again was served by a CSM and two cabin crew, one of which was brought in from ET.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
No, it's not a good idea. I always dread flights that are this full. The best flight seem be the ones that are lower than 3 rows in club.

For for 48 people, I think they should have about 4 crew and adequately stock for it, which pie never seems to do.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by mario
No, it's not a good idea. I always dread flights that are this full. The best flight seem be the ones that are lower than 3 rows in club.

For for 48 people, I think they should have about 4 crew and adequately stock for it, which pie never seems to do.
​​​
​​​​​​
I was just about to say that I don’t think 4 would work in a single aisle a/c, however:

Could you have 2 on the trolly for drinks, 1 in the galley doing the prep and 1 taking meal orders and hand-delivering? Once the first drinks run is done, 1 from the trolly could help with food and the second does drink top-ups?

Of course this comes with higher staff costs!

Last edited by krispy84; Dec 2, 2018 at 3:20 pm
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree there should be 4 crew for 48 CE customers.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by krispy84

I was just about to say that I don’t think 4 would work in a single aisle a/c, however:

Could you have 2 on the trolly for drinks, 1 in the galley doing the prep and 1 taking meal orders and hand-delivering? Once the first drinks run is done 1 from the trolly could help with food and the second does drink top-ups?

In my view, theu should have one crew in the galley coordinating things and then divide the rest of the cabin in chunks of 4 rows.

That way you wouldn't have passengers past row 4 feeling that they are second class club Europe passengers, which happens these days when they are getting their first drinks half way through the flight and their meal as descent starts.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that there should be two trolleys in the cabin with 2 crew on each.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by krispy84

Could you have 2 on the trolly for drinks, 1 in the galley doing the prep and 1 taking meal orders and hand-delivering? Once the first drinks run is done, 1 from the trolly could help with food and the second does drink top-ups?

(my bolding)

Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but doesn't 48 pax in CE also come with substantial higher ticket revenue?

As @teledude says, he booked months ago and couldn't find anything more to the front than 11F. BA has known the exceptional distribution of passengers long beforehand and IMHO, should have had more than ample time to fix staffing for the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.