Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA16 SYD-LHR 2 Dec, delayed overnight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Often1
The cancelled flight operates on an EU carrier between two countries outside the EU. What remains to be seen and is yet undecided is whether either UK or EU courts (ultimately) determine that the same principle which would apply in the other direction, e.g. LHR-SIN-SYD, would apply for SYD-SIN-LHR where the delay into LHR exeeds 3 or 4 hours as the case may be.
Reference should be made to Article 2, Definition (h): "final destination" means the destination on the ticket presented at the check-in counter or, in the case of directly connecting flights, the destination of the last flight; alternative connecting flights available shall not be taken into account if the original planned arrival time is respected;

So passengers ticketed on the BA16 from SYD-LHR would be covered by EC261; passengers ticketed on the BA16 from SYD-SIN would not be covered. Correct?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
BA16 is a flight to London which stops at Singapore. London is in the EU.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Gosh not sure I am ever going to be game to starr a BA thread again. Doing this flight a few times next year hence interest i reroutes too, F if that makes a difference
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by simons1
It would be an interesting case. BA would inevitably (perhaps not unreasonably) take the narrow argument that SIN-SYD is outside the scope of EC261.

The passenger might however argue that they had paid for a trip from LHR-SYD on one ticket which was delayed by failure of BA equipment and who knows the courts might back the consumer.

With €600 at stake it might be worth a punt, or at least a call to Bott & Co.
SIN-SYD is outside the scope of EC261, LHR-SIN-SYD is not outside the scope if SIN is a connection point rather than a stopover.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by wtcmor
... F if that makes a difference
On this length of flight, most definitely it does.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

SIN-SYD is outside the scope of EC261, LHR-SIN-SYD is not outside the scope if SIN is a connection point rather than a stopover.
Indeed....that is why I don't agree with the argument upthread that people connecting will miss out.

Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
At least the crew get another night in SYD they only do one night there as part of a ten day trip someone told me recently !
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:35 am

Indeed....that is why I don't agree with the argument upthread that people connecting will miss out.

That is not so clear cut, but there is there is an arguable case and given how the courts tend to lean toward the consumer when interpreting this Regulation it wouldn't surprise me if this one succeeded given it is the same (EU) carrier for both sectors.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
I think the argument being made was that if people were connecting to the BA12 from BA16 they wouldn't be entitled to EU261, as its not an intra-EU flight. Passengers continuing on BA16 to London would be entitled. The (rare) case of 5th freedom flights operated by EU airlines hasn't been specifically legislated for.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
I think the argument being made was that if people were connecting to the BA12 from BA16 they wouldn't be entitled to EU261, as its not an intra-EU flight. Passengers continuing on BA16 to London would be entitled. The (rare) case of 5th freedom flights operated by EU airlines hasn't been specifically legislated for.
There is no doubt that SYD-SIN is not within the scope of EC261, what is not so clear is if a flight originating in SYD with a connection in SIN (or anywhere else outwith the EU) to an EU state is within the scope of EC261 if the operator of the sector is a relevant carrier under the Regulation. This scenario has not yet been tested, but given recent decisions I think there is a good chance that such a journey would be covered by the Regulation.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
Yes I'm aware of the argument being made, I just don't agree with it.

I believe there is a reasonable likelihood (but not a certainty) that if taken to MCOL passengers connecting from SYD to LHR will find favour with a judge by arguing that their delayed arrival in LHR on a single ticket is a direct consequence of a failure by an EU carrier.

If the flight was from SYD to SIN only that would be different.

Not every scenario is specifically legislated for, but that doesn't stop a judge using their judgement.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Not every scenario is specifically legislated for, but that doesn't stop a judge using their judgement.
Quite! Such a scenario is exactly the role of a judge.

If I was caught up in this scenario I would claim under 261. There's a good chance that BA would react a claim, maybe not because the flight operates between two non-EU territories, but rather because a butterfly flapped their wings on the M4, which caused a unicorn to fly over T5. The unicorn's horn fell off on the 777 parked in Sydney. Obviously those are freak events and therefore no 261. Simple!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold

Yes I'm aware of the argument being made, I just don't agree with it.

I believe there is a reasonable likelihood (but not a certainty) that if taken to MCOL passengers connecting from SYD to LHR will find favour with a judge by arguing that their delayed arrival in LHR on a single ticket is a direct consequence of a failure by an EU carrier.

If the flight was from SYD to SIN only that would be different.

Agreeing with Simons1 here,

SYD-SIN is not covered by the regulation. That said I believe I read before on the forum that BA does still apply the compensation rules on these 5th freedom flights?

SYD-SIN-LHR would be covered. As Long as it is booked on one PNR no matter if you connect to another BA flight in Singapore. The arrival delay in LHR would be the data point of your total journey. It would be the similar to the issue that EK faced about total end to end delays rather than only the EU departing sector.

It would also be similar to the notion of flying BA connecting to a BA code share. The code share flight is not departing or arriving in the EU but still part of your end to end journey as per your ticket.

Globalist
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
I'm mildly curious too - loads of OW options SYD-LHR that go out after the BA flight (QF, CX, QR, MH) plus the usual Middle East & Asian carriers. The original BA aircraft still needs to come back though, so I suspect it would be cheaper to put everyone in a hotel for the night. You'd hope F/J/Golds got looked after if they needed to travel that day.
Yeah you can definitely get home... it's more about the knock on consequences... does anybody know if they ran 2 x BA16s the next day? There will also be some people stuck in SIN but I guess they could have been shifted onto the BA12 if they had space.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Yes they ran 2 BA 16 the next day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.