Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA adds extra crew to fool ‘mystery’ reviewers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA adds extra crew to fool ‘mystery’ reviewers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze Executive Club Member
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
So today we are resorting to rumours to bash BA.
I see no bashing tbf. Can't blame BA for reacting to this. As others have mentioned, it is more of a failing of the flight review website than BA, unless its a bluff.

Imagine, they tell BA they are reviewing LHR> JFK - BA117 but actually review JFK - BA175
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Coming back from Glasgow last night on a 321, I was surprised to see 5 crew. 2 dedicated CE crew meant service was top dollar.
The best is when you get the 'return' flight from a high-load evening route - i.e. a Thursday or Friday night where the outbound flight was rammed with CE but the return is nearly empty - Row 1 to yourself and two CE crew plastering you with all the leftover booze and food
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The union would have something to say about this I would have thought.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:01 am

Who cares if they do? The results of these things always need a pinch of salt, anyway.

And anyone who has worked somewhere with reviewers and mystery shoppers is always on the lookout. As results are often linked to bonuses, employees can suddenly be very friendly and helpful should a suspect arrive.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:07 am

My flight to GIB yesterday on an A320 had 5 crew. Still took an absolute age to do BoB - take-up was almost universal back to row 12.

There was also a crew safety inspector, so six galley staff in total. All were very nice.

Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I wonder whether my frequent use of a small notebook [for Trip Report purposes] potentially identifies me as a mystery shopper, and thus qualifies me for special attention from the CC?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191
I wonder whether my frequent use of a small notebook [for Trip Report purposes] potentially identifies me as a mystery shopper, and thus qualifies me for special attention from the CC?
They probably just think you're keeping a tally of your marbles.
T8191 and rapidex like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
They probably just think you're keeping a tally of your marbles.

"1024, heard small thud. Marble rolled under seat in front and lost forever."
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
My flight to GIB yesterday on an A320 had 5 crew. Still took an absolute age to do BoB - take-up was almost universal back to row 12.

There was also a crew safety inspector, so six galley staff in total. All were very nice.

There are often 5 crew on a GIB, either due to high CE or ET loads. You may also have had a supernumerary crew member; it’s a frequent route for ‘first flights’ for new crew.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That is the norm on GLA on a 321, you need to factor in the CE loads as to whether 2 crew end up in CE. 6 crew would edge my eyebrows upwards. The way I see it is 3 crew minimum on A319, 4 on A320 and 5 on A321 (though it can be 4 I think if loads in both directions are low and CE is empty).
Many thanks for the info.

From JAR ops:

JAR-OPS 1.990 Number and composition of cabin crew
(See ACJ OPS 1.990)
(a) An operator shall not operate an aeroplane with a maximum approved passenger seating configuration of more than 19, when carrying one or more passengers, unless at least one cabin crew member is included in the crew for the purpose of performing duties, specified in the Operations Manual, in the interests of the safety of passengers.
(b) When complying with sub-paragraph (a) above, an operator shall ensure that the minimum number of cabin crew is the greater of:
(1) One cabin crew member for every 50, or fraction of 50, passenger seats installed on the same deck of the aeroplane;

My bold.

Given the CE set-up, I wonder if they count the middle seat. In any case it explains the minimum staffing levels you illuded too with up to 144, 180 and 218 in the 319-1, 320-2 and 321-2 respectively.

I know such things are factored in at design and purchase too, with it being one of the reasons the 319 is popular for only requiring 3 CC.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have to "nuance" my previous post.......

I've heard from Uxbridge that in fact there are "mystery" Skytrax shoppers heading for BA's aircraft, and that yes, BA paid for them (and therefore know where they are). I share, with my contact, a healthy scepticism that BA really worry about whatever Skytrax comes up with, but that's another issue.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You are giving BA too much credit for doing this, everything that happens seems to come as a total surprise to them!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by navylad
(1) One cabin crew member for every 50, or fraction of 50, passenger seats installed on the same deck of the aeroplane;

My bold.

Given the CE set-up, I wonder if they count the middle seat. In any case it explains the minimum staffing levels you illuded too with up to 144, 180 and 218 in the 319-1, 320-2 and 321-2 respectively.

I know such things are factored in at design and purchase too, with it being one of the reasons the 319 is popular for only requiring 3 CC.
This is interesting. Returning from BCN to LGW on an A319 a while ago, one of the CC had fallen ill on the outward journey, leaving only 2 CC able to work. Volunteers were sought to be offloaded in order to reduce to 100 passengers, and this was achieved. So, whilst the plane still clearly had more than 100 seats (even accounting for the blocked middle seats in CE) it was OK to fly with 2 CC and 100 passengers (the first officer had to read the safety briefing from the front galley!). So it seems that BA count people rather than seats.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
OMAAT has been singing praises for 2 recent BA Club World journeys. I wonder if he has been paid off or BA knowing who he was booked just pre-stagged the flights for him to ensure all went well?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Keep it Riel
Heisenberg's uncertainty principle in action (kind of)… Anything that knows it is being measured cannot be measured accurately.
This thread - and the story it relates - seem more like Dali/Magritte than Heisenberg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.