FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA adds extra crew to fool ‘mystery’ reviewers
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:36 am
volar

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by navylad
(1) One cabin crew member for every 50, or fraction of 50, passenger seats installed on the same deck of the aeroplane;

My bold.

Given the CE set-up, I wonder if they count the middle seat. In any case it explains the minimum staffing levels you illuded too with up to 144, 180 and 218 in the 319-1, 320-2 and 321-2 respectively.

I know such things are factored in at design and purchase too, with it being one of the reasons the 319 is popular for only requiring 3 CC.
This is interesting. Returning from BCN to LGW on an A319 a while ago, one of the CC had fallen ill on the outward journey, leaving only 2 CC able to work. Volunteers were sought to be offloaded in order to reduce to 100 passengers, and this was achieved. So, whilst the plane still clearly had more than 100 seats (even accounting for the blocked middle seats in CE) it was OK to fly with 2 CC and 100 passengers (the first officer had to read the safety briefing from the front galley!). So it seems that BA count people rather than seats.