FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA adds extra crew to fool ‘mystery’ reviewers
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:50 am
navylad

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That is the norm on GLA on a 321, you need to factor in the CE loads as to whether 2 crew end up in CE. 6 crew would edge my eyebrows upwards. The way I see it is 3 crew minimum on A319, 4 on A320 and 5 on A321 (though it can be 4 I think if loads in both directions are low and CE is empty).
Many thanks for the info.

From JAR ops:

JAR-OPS 1.990 Number and composition of cabin crew
(See ACJ OPS 1.990)
(a) An operator shall not operate an aeroplane with a maximum approved passenger seating configuration of more than 19, when carrying one or more passengers, unless at least one cabin crew member is included in the crew for the purpose of performing duties, specified in the Operations Manual, in the interests of the safety of passengers.
(b) When complying with sub-paragraph (a) above, an operator shall ensure that the minimum number of cabin crew is the greater of:
(1) One cabin crew member for every 50, or fraction of 50, passenger seats installed on the same deck of the aeroplane;

My bold.

Given the CE set-up, I wonder if they count the middle seat. In any case it explains the minimum staffing levels you illuded too with up to 144, 180 and 218 in the 319-1, 320-2 and 321-2 respectively.

I know such things are factored in at design and purchase too, with it being one of the reasons the 319 is popular for only requiring 3 CC.