Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA adds extra crew to fool ‘mystery’ reviewers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA adds extra crew to fool ‘mystery’ reviewers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by icegirl
OMAAT has been singing praises for 2 recent BA Club World journeys. I wonder if he has been paid off or BA knowing who he was booked just pre-stagged the flights for him to ensure all went well?
How would you do that? Put in a different seat and change the entire catering? You certainly don't tell the crew to speak to him every 10 mins to see if he is OK as Ben likes his privacy.

That said, BA does - both under and over the counter - appear to pay off certain influencers so there may be a deal. You may have noticed a BA FT post which had to be marked as 'Advertorial' recently for example. I know one person - not me - who told me he is given BAEC status.

Worth noting that Ben does not sell advertising on his site (it is done centrally via Boarding Area) so he isn't being nice just because they are advertising with him. That said, BA does advertise with us and it doesn't impact how nice we are :-)

(For clarity, BA ad revenue on HFP represents under 0.5% of our annual turnover. The affiliate commission from BA Holidays adds another 3% but that is done at arms length.)

Last edited by Raffles; Nov 9, 2018 at 6:09 am
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:08 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Isn't it more about who they have on the flight than how many (if any) they add to it?

One great crew member is worth more than a couple of the bad one!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Raffles
That said, BA does - both under and over the counter - appear to pay off certain influencers so there may be a deal. You may have noticed a BA FT post which had to be marked as 'Advertorial' recently for example.
Let me clarify that one before the wrong impression is set up. This is a reference to the new Concorde Bremont watch. I spotted this via a run-of -the-mill suggested link to the YouTube video that came with the promotion. Unusually, I noticed was being virtual-hosted on the BA microsite. After I saw the video I asked myself "is this news suitable for BA FT or is this really an advert?". As it seemed to cross the lines somewhat, I decided to put up a thread, but I also decided to prefix the thread title with "[Advertorial]", since I've never really come across this sort of thing before. I didn't check that with anyone else and there was no "had to be marked" about it. Now Bremont are most welcome to send me a Ł10,000 watch if they wish but to the best of my knowledge no-one associated with this forum has in anyway benefited from this exercise, and it was a bit of a judgement call on my side as to whether it was worthy of mention. It didn't get many hits, so perhaps not, hence when I saw more recently the magazine advertisement for it I decided not to update that thread.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
May not be related but on BA116 from JFK last night each cabin seemed to have a "Service Delivery Manager". Never noticed this before.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Let me clarify that one before the wrong impression is set up. This is a reference to the new Concorde Bremont watch. I spotted this via a run-of -the-mill suggested link to the YouTube video that came with the promotion. Unusually, I noticed was being virtual-hosted on the BA microsite. After I saw the video I asked myself "is this news suitable for BA FT or is this really an advert?". As it seemed to cross the lines somewhat, I decided to put up a thread, but I also decided to prefix the thread title with "[Advertorial]", since I've never really come across this sort of thing before. I didn't check that with anyone else and there was no "had to be marked" about it. Now Bremont are most welcome to send me a Ł10,000 watch if they wish but to the best of my knowledge no-one associated with this forum has in anyway benefited from this exercise, and it was a bit of a judgement call on my side as to whether it was worthy of mention. It didn't get many hits, so perhaps not, hence when I saw more recently the magazine advertisement for it I decided not to update that thread.
Noted, thanks C.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

That said, BA does - both under and over the counter - appear to pay off certain influencers so there may be a deal. You may have noticed a BA FT post which had to be marked as 'Advertorial' recently for example. I know one person - not me - who told me he is given BAEC status.
You're saying that people on here are posting positive messages regarding BA, and they get BA status in return?

Bites tongue.....
icegirl likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You're saying that people on here are posting positive messages regarding BA, and they get BA status in return?
i never knew! And like a mug all this time I have been paying money for flights
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
How would you do that? Put in a different seat and change the entire catering? You certainly don't tell the crew to speak to him every 10 mins to see if he is OK as Ben likes his privacy.

Worth noting that Ben does not sell advertising on his site (it is done centrally via Boarding Area) so he isn't being nice just because they are advertising with him. That said, BA does advertise with us and it doesn't impact how nice we are :-)

(For clarity, BA ad revenue on HFP represents under 0.5% of our annual turnover. The affiliate commission from BA Holidays adds another 3% but that is done at arms length.)
My comment was purely from the angle of it being 'coincidental' that's all.

Who else do you know they pay off?

I wasn't criticising HFP or you for that matter
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:39 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by KARFA
i never knew! And like a mug all this time I have been paying money for flights
I'm actually just writing a nice TR about my flight down to LHR... I await GGLfL (if that exists) in return!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA

Bites tongue.....
No, this person is not a BA FTer but is an influencer / media person. I didn't mean that line I wrote to be read like that, although I can see how it could be.

For total clarity, one travel organisation has given me top tier status with them but I didn't actually ask for it! They just looked up my account, changed my status and then told me afterwards. It has zero impact on my coverage of this organisation because I very rarely use them and when I do it is at a level where status benefits are moot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.