Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: T8191
This thread relates to SPG Law's proposed Group Proceedings against British Airways, in respect of the Data Protection Act 2018 (which incorporates the GDPR).
There is a separate thread that relates to the actual data breaches and their implications for customers, which is to be found here: BA Investigating Theft of Personal and Financial Data

The one law firm that currently seems to be persuing a Class Action against BA is SPG. They have a specific site set up at https://www.badatabreach.com/ - please make sure you check all the FAQs and terms and conditions and make sure the Class Action is right for you before you sign up.

* SPG is now PGMBM.
* Payments are being made through Shieldpay, who are seeming to be both lethargic and/or inept.
Print Wikipost

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I received a ''Dear valued customer' email from BA during the night regarding the data breach. Until some Russian trickster uses my details for something dodgy I couldn't give a monkeys about it.....life's far too short.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:05 pm

Signed up along with 2 other members of my family who were caught in data breach 1.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I’ve just signed up today after having been caught in both. I hate this kind of thing but BA is acting in such an extraordinarily arrogant way that I actually want to see them be hauled over the coals.

I don’t particularly want money from them but I do want them to be forced to accept their wrongdoing.

I wrote to them after the first breach as I was frustrated then. Even as a GGL every year since the inception of GGL, I’ve been ignored and that’s frankly unacceptable. They could so easily have headed this off but chose to play the victim. Well I’ve had enough.
Buster, oxtailsoup and BAEC like this.

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Oct 26, 2018 at 4:23 pm
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Signed up today.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
I signed up not for the money. IAB Walsh and BA Cruz need to be given due justice!

They’ve allowed our personal information to be stolen! And caused undue inconvenience.

Last edited by BAEC; Oct 26, 2018 at 5:12 pm
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:52 pm

On my way home today, and as soon as I am home I will be signing up.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Where is the lawsuit ft thread?
can you get the credit monitoring and participate in the class action?
are there any retribution concerns from joining it, like BA shutting down accounts?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Hands up who’s signed up? I’d be interested in numbers.
I just signed up
Markie likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by nk15
are there any retribution concerns from joining it, like BA shutting down accounts?
I’m pretty sure the T&Cs allow them to close accounts whenever they want (in general they can run the scheme in any way they wish). I think that they are no more likely to close an account here than after a member makes a successful claim under EU261 or wins in CEDR / small claims court. Even though they might be able to do so I think even BA would find the adverse publicity too difficult to contemplate.
I signed up on September 19th and since I have an Avios balance of 7 I figure that I have little downside risk.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by nk15
In principle they could close accounts. However the bad PR generated by doing so would probably not make it a good course of action.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
We should set up an FT class action, max 5% costs bigger payout... .

Im usually of the view that these no win no fee schemes are the scum of the earth vis a vie personal injury, PPI or indeed EU261 as indeed you can get 100% of the payout whilst risking of course losing but BAs we are the victim of criminals here bleating is making me sick.

I’ve only claimed once before when I had an accident at a train station and wanted The then rail track to make the station safer to prevent further accidents as I needed to use that station twice a day on my commute. My home insurance legal cover provided the launch pad for this and it was successful,

Back on topic seems there are a couple of firms offering Class Actions and this one is run by SPG Law. Nothing ventured nothing gained indeed I suppose I wouldn’t have got refunds of fuel surcharges 18 years ago when BA colluded with a Virgin if it wasn’t for class action so I’m going to sign up too.
danam likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
It's kind of foolish not to sign up as it's a bet to nothing, but it's also naive to expect BA to be making statements to individuals or making gestures that might imply guilt. Whatever your status or historical spend.

Those people saying they just want it to be stuck to BA will be happy to know that that is exactly what GPDR does. And while BA are on the hook for 4% turnover everything they say or do will be subject to detailed legal review and staff will have been told to stick strictly to the agreed form of words. No exceptions. That means slow and tortuous comms. AMEX can react far faster.

I'm sure many people here are senior in organisations and would understand that that is how these situations work.

And also that 'there but for the grace of God...' Most if not all organisations are vulnerable to cybercrime. Most employees of those companies at some level create vulnerabilities usually for convenience day to day. BA happen to have been targetted because of its scale. but that doesn't imply they are unusually slapdash or that this is a result of cost cutting. This was a permissions/access hack, not an infrastructure problem (according to what is known).

Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:19 am

I’m in. Caught in both original and second breach.
Markie likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I signed up after being fobbed off by BA Customer Relations twice and only on the third getting a proper response which was basically go .... yourself, not even a token minimal Avios gesture for all the BAEC customers. To top it off a few weeks ago some lovely people tried to help theirselves to a non unsubstantial amount of my money, thankfully my banks IT is somewhat better than BAs.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:44 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Hands up who’s signed up? I’d be interested in numbers.
Why pray? What business it is of anyone whether I sign up or not. Whatever decision I take, I would not post it on an internet chatboard least of all in response to what sounds like a Playground rallying cry.

I'm like HIDDY and I want to know who is paying for this. Maybe I have not seen it, but how many people anywhere have been robbed of their cash as a result of this? .Yes, I have suffered inconvenience and yes I was vexed but you will excuse me if I do join in the general frenzy, but I've far greater concerns to occupy my waking hours.
layz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.