Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR ATC tower evacuation & Altea down [18 July 2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR ATC tower evacuation & Altea down [18 July 2018]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:20 am

I think situations slightly grey situations like this lend themselves to using Bott & Co on a no success no fee basis.

Whilst there is a cost to it they know how to deal with the likes of BA and the right buttons to press. That could save a lot of effort at CEDR or MCOL.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:56 am

No problem to get you updated. We are currently just considering our options, but have asked for a 'Deadlock' letter to allows us to go down the CEDR route if we decide to do so.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Chrisjg
Hi Andy,

I was also caught up in the same issue as yourself, and myself and my partner received the exact same response from BA today. We weren't due to fly until 6AM on the 19th July, but we were flying NCL-LHR, and the LHR-NCL flight was cancelled on the evening of the 18th, so there was no plane to fly us out on the morning of the 19th. We were also told we were not entitled to compensation due to 'airspace restrictions' that were 'out of their control'. We are in two minds as to whether to attempt CEDR. There seems to have been a plethora of issues that occurred on the 18th, and BA seem to be paying out for some but not others. For myself, because my flight wasn't due to take off until 6AM the following morning, it seems to hinge on whether BA were told by ATC not to fly the LHR-NCL flight on the evening of the 18th, or if that decision came from BA themselves. We were told, just as you were, that the airspace restrictions were 'out of their control'. We're currently in two minds whether to take BA's word for that, or to pursue it further. If you decide to go ahead with CEDR, please keep this thread updated with your progress, and I will do the same. This is particularly frustrating, due to BA paying up for delays connected to the IT issue, but then passing the cancellations of some flights off as not being in their control. I know that this may very well be the case, but without proof of that, it's hard not to feel like you're being fobbed off. Please do let me know if you decide to move forward with CEDR, and keep me updated with your progress.
Hi Chris - No problem to get you updated. We are currently just considering our options, but have asked for a 'Deadlock' letter to allows us to go down the CEDR route if we decide to do so.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by simons1
I think situations slightly grey situations like this lend themselves to using Bott & Co on a no success no fee basis.

Whilst there is a cost to it they know how to deal with the likes of BA and the right buttons to press. That could save a lot of effort at CEDR or MCOL.
Thanks for the advice. Do you know if it is possible to use this option if CEDR is unsuccessful? I would prefer to go down the CEDR route before considering this next step?

Thanks again
Andrew
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Andymac75
Thanks for the advice. Do you know if it is possible to use this option if CEDR is unsuccessful? I would prefer to go down the CEDR route before considering this next step?

Thanks again
Andrew
Yes you could. CEDR does not preclude the taking of legal action, however the fact that CEDR was unsuccessful might not work in your favour. For this reason my own inclination (and it is just a personal view) is that for slightly contentious cases (ie the aircraft could not position overnight) it is worth checking with Bott to get their view.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
I know I'm dragging this thread back up from the depths but thought it may interest or help somebody to know that CEDR eventually just ruled in my favour and instructed BA to cough up EU261 compensation for the cancellation of BA1470. Rather a lot of effort for a small amount of money but glad I followed up on it in the end...assuming BA actually pay it of course.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by apollo00
I know I'm dragging this thread back up from the depths but thought it may interest or help somebody to know that CEDR eventually just ruled in my favour and instructed BA to cough up EU261 compensation for the cancellation of BA1470. Rather a lot of effort for a small amount of money but glad I followed up on it in the end...assuming BA actually pay it of course.
I dont think not paying is an option for BA
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by apollo00
Ditto on the dragging up old thread. Just signed witness statement today with Bott and co for the cancelled BA1470. Fingers crossed for a similar ultimate result.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by minesapint

Ditto on the dragging up old thread. Just signed witness statement today with Bott and co for the cancelled BA1470. Fingers crossed for a similar ultimate result.
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum minesapint, it's good to see you here and I hope we will see more of you in the future. And please keep us update how your case progresses. As noted above CEDR has ruled against BA on BA1470, and at least one FTer got compensation via that route, so it may be worth letting Bott & Co know that has happened.
argonath likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.