Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR ATC tower evacuation & Altea down [18 July 2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR ATC tower evacuation & Altea down [18 July 2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by KARFA
duty of care applies regardless of the reason - so either they will book one, or do it yourself and claim it back. more information on the EC261 thread.
327 shows reason for delay as ‘late arriving aircraft’. Can they still claim extraordinary circumstances or does that only apply to the original flight, in which case EU261 compensation would apply to this one in addition to Duty of Care? I remember a debate on FT after the December LHR debacle but not sure if there was a definitive conclusion reached through a court or through arbitration.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
327 shows reason for delay as ‘late arriving aircraft’. Can they still claim extraordinary circumstances or does that only apply to the original flight, in which case EU261 compensation would apply to this one in addition to Duty of Care? I remember a debate on FT after the December LHR debacle but not sure if there was a definitive conclusion reached through a court or through arbitration.
The return leg of a flight that got disrupted outbound counts as ‘extraordinary’ as no airline can reasonably be expected to have spare aircraft and crew available at every single one of its outstations. Where it gets questionable is when they try to claim future sectors as well (e.g. if on arrival back at LHR your aircraft had been scheduled to go out again to HAM as at that point it could have been swapped for another).
Takiteasy likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:35 pm

Flight from DUB 823 has been cancelled. Now stuck at DUB. BA is providing hotel for us, but I got a another trip leaving London before I arrive back to London, under different PNR. If I cancel my next day flight, can I get a full refund for that?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JALlover
Flight from DUB 823 has been cancelled. Now stuck at DUB. BA is providing hotel for us, but I got a another trip leaving London before I arrive back to London, under different PNR. If I cancel my next day flight, can I get a full refund for that?
Not if it's another PNR and it operates normally, but it is possible the BA agent in LON may be sympathetic to a timing change.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I managed to avoid this by an hour or two, but TPRun was less fortunate. However, BA or Menzies did a real number on my checked bag...

Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by airline brat
Stuck at CDG, delay on 327 is now at 3 hours (showing Midnight departure, Midnight arrival). They will have to round up a new crew, land after curfew....wonder how long before they just call this one? Also guessing that they won't put us up anywhere for the night if it's cancelled as it's an event beyond their control.
Called Gold Line, they are completely blind at the moment as all systems are down.
BA finally gave in just before 23.00, but only on the website to begin. The airport crew finally got the message, but no arrangements for hotels were made and the local handling crew claimed all of the hotels were full. Funny on that one, I booked a good rate room at the CDG Hyatt less than 15 minutes before that announcement (thanks to wrp96, good call on that one). Handling crew at A47 had a very unhappy crowd on their hands, a lot of it is down to lack of prep for disrupted operations. Now to call BA to see what flight I may be on tomorrow--everything has disappeared from my iPhone app and from my online account.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:46 pm

What a mess at Heathrow last night! Still fail to comprehend why the India call centre was able to rebook me while waiting in a queue at T5 that didn't move at all for hours.

Back in T5 again now for another try to DUS.

Cheapest hotel the hotel booking guys in T5 could offer was the Hilton Paddington at £299, not what I'd call "reasonable" for an fairly old 4-star, but I'd expect BA to pay out?

Guess BA got very lucky with the earlier evacuation meaning they can try and claim extraordinary circumstances now... Even though their system would have gone down and flights cancelled anyway! We shall see.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by dylanks
I managed to avoid this by an hour or two, but TPRun was less fortunate. However, BA or Menzies did a real number on my checked bag...

indeed unlucky. BA972 cancelled. I’m grateful BA protected my return as it was a steal but on the way to T2 LHR now to fly with eurowings!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is a fairly prominent story on this in today's Daily Telegraph, bringing together both issues from yesterday. Here is an extract.
British Airways: Reports of delays and cancellations at Heathrow as airline reports 'systems issue'

18 JULY 2018 • 8:55PMBritish Airways passengers reported long delays and cancellations on Wednesday night after the airline reported an issue with its computer systems.

Passengers said that planes operated by the airline were not taking off from Heathrow, amid reports on social media of delayed aircraft across Europe. British Airways customers arriving at Heathrow Terminal Five were reportedly told that a computer system failure had halted all British Airways flights.

They were reportedly advised to book overnight accommodation or seek alternative travel arrangements. There were also reports that the airline online-check in service had failed. “We are experiencing disruption to our flights as a result of an issue with some of our IT systems,” British Airways tweeted earlier last night

It added: “We are working hard to urgently resolve the matter and are sorry for the disruption to some customers’ travel plans. A spokesperson for Heathrow, said: “We are aware that British Airways is currently experiencing an issue which is impacting their ability to provide boarding passes to some passengers. We will be working with the airline to support their efforts to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.”

The IT system failure comes just over a year after a computer meltdown saw the airline forced to cancel 726 flights over three days, leaving 75,000 passengers stranded and costing the company around £100m

The delays yesterday came after an earlier fire alert at Heathrow’s air traffic control tower briefly forced flight to be diverted to other airports. It "impacted operation of the airfield for a short while" on Wednesday afternoon, according to the airport.

Last May's IT failure, which also came at the start of a busy holiday period, sparked intense criticism of the company and its management, as well as frustration over the lack of information handed out to customers by BA staff. It was blamed by the company on an electrical technician employed by an outside supplier for shutting down an “uninterruptible power supply” located in the plant room of the firm's London data centre.

British Airways said in a statement: "As with a number of airlines we are experiencing some disruption at Heathrow a result of an issue with a supplier IT system.

"We are working with our supplier to resolve the matter and are sorry for the disruption to our customers’ travel plans."
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by just_starting
Cheapest hotel the hotel booking guys in T5 could offer was the Hilton Paddington at £299, not what I'd call "reasonable" for an fairly old 4-star, but I'd expect BA to pay out?
That is over the usual £200 guideline, so you may have a bit of a fight on your hand to get the full amount, however if this genuinely the best you could find then BA will be obliged to pay that. It will help if you saved screenshots of the options available to you.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is a fairly prominent story on this in today's Daily Telegraph, bringing together both issues from yesterday. Here is an extract.

....snip....

British Airways said in a statement: "As with a number of airlines we are experiencing some disruption at Heathrow a result of an issue with a supplier IT system.

"We are working with our supplier to resolve the matter and are sorry for the disruption to our customers’ travel plans."[/indent]
I suppose the mention of other airlines means for EC261 purposes BA intends to blame ATC and bury the FLY issues?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
Originally Posted by just_starting

It might not be helpful after the fact but I'd never use those guys. Using one of the popular booking sites would likely have offered more choices and / or better prices. Some hotels won't deal with them.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ptr120
It might not be helpful after the fact but I'd never use those guys. Using one of the popular booking sites would likely have offered more choices and / or better prices. Some hotels won't deal with them.
yes there seemed to be cheaper hotels in central London just looking on the Hilton app last night. it is worthwhile having a few main hotel chain apps to have a check yourself when looking for a hotel.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by simons1
I suppose the mention of other airlines means for EC261 purposes BA intends to blame ATC and bury the FLY issues?
It was mentioned elsewhere that other ALTEA customers were also experiencing issues so that could equally be the angle taken. That said, there’s lots of evidence that just because it’s an outsourced service doesn’t mean it’s extraordinary or indeed outside the airlines control.
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
It was mentioned elsewhere that other ALTEA customers were also experiencing issues so that could equally be the angle taken. That said, there’s lots of evidence that just because it’s an outsourced service doesn’t mean it’s extraordinary or indeed outside the airlines control.
Indeed, if your company has outsourced their payroll would you get a tough luck message if you were not paid?
alpenlupe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.