Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best F Avios Can Buy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Although I've yet to try JL F, I'll put in a shout for often-overlooked MH F. I really liked the food, the seat, privacy and the service was absolutely spot on. Nothing too much trouble and somehow without hovering they seemed to appear at just the moment I wanted something.
I agree but are MH still limiting F award ability to just 1 seat on each flight? However good the product is or isn't, not an avios redemption option given the OP's requirements.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I agree but are MH still limiting F award ability to just 1 seat on each flight? However good the product is or isn't, not an avios redemption option given the OP's requirements.
Ah, didn't know that was a thing. Mine were cash seats.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
As many others, my first F choice for redemption is JL, CX a good second
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Actually it might work if you look at the opening post again?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Am adding my voice to previous shouts for the quality of MH in F (albeit mine was a cash fare rather than redemption).

Flew their LHR-KUL (and return) service last year and found the F ‘suite’ to be extremely spacious & comfortable. This was a somewhat tired A380, on which the F cabin decor was, admittedly, rather dated and perhaps a little drab.

No experience of their new A350 on which F now consists of a single 1-2-1 row, so just four seats in all. But I’d be surprised if it offers anything less than the same stellar standards of service and catering as I received on the 380.
haroon145 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
I'm surprised so many low votes for QF F - I remember it to be very good (A380) although it was a couple of years ago now. My F comparisons include BA, EK, LH, UA, ... although not JL or CX.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:27 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
For me personally it's a dead heat between JL and QF

QF has a better seat and bedding
QF has a more varied selection of top champagnes
QF has the A380 (I personally feel better coming off an A380 flight vs a 777)
JL has better food
JL has better wine and spirits (and royal blue tea)
JL has a better amenity kit

Flagship lounges are both equally good
QF has a more informal style, JL is more formal - both are excellent in my experience

CX is close behind.
CX have wonderful lounges in HKG and an extremely spacious and comfortable seat. They have started serving Krug 2004 on a few routes.
I love the PYE PJs and find the bed to be both large and very comfortable.
The food is a little more hit and miss though

A great trip would be:
LHR-SIN QF F
SIN-HKG CX J
HKG-HND CX F
HND-LHR JL F

You could jig things round a little bit to include KUL-NRT on MH F if that's of interest (I've personally not tried it).
It's a long flight but tends to have excellent availability on the A350, for multiple F pax.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
How do you book a JL F ticket ? Is it done on the website (if so I must be dumber than I realsized because I can’t see how 🤦🏻.♂️) or do you have to call BA and can you only book LHR to Japan or can you book from any city that has an F flight ( for example North America). Please feel free to PM me or send a link
and as usual I apologize for the stupid question
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Jermyn

JL has better food

QF has a more informal style, JL is more formal - both are excellent in my experience

CX is close behind.
CX have wonderful lounges in HKG and an extremely spacious and comfortable seat. They have started serving Krug 2004 on a few routes.

A great trip would be:
LHR-SIN QF F
SIN-HKG CX J
HKG-HND CX F
HND-LHR JL F

You could jig things round a little bit to include KUL-NRT on MH F if that's of interest (I've personally not tried it).
It's a long flight but tends to have excellent availability on the A350, for multiple F pax.
Would suggest HKG-HND is sub-optimal as it will be a breakfast flight and you'll be missing out on the best aspects of the HND-HKG CX service.

As a separate point, with CX F you should also be aware of the general tiering of routes - believe only LHR and JFK get access to the best wine list with vintage Bordeaux etc. these days.

For reference, QR also serve Krug 2004 but on all routes in F. The CX Krug 2004 offering is seasonal, I believe, and will be rotated out for another champagne later in the year, with JL also doing the same but with different champages after the removal of Salon.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
How do you book a JL F ticket ? Is it done on the website (if so I must be dumber than I realsized because I can’t see how 🤦🏻.♂️) or do you have to call BA and can you only book LHR to Japan or can you book from any city that has an F flight ( for example North America). Please feel free to PM me or send a link
and as usual I apologize for the stupid question
You can book directly on BA's website through the online reward availability tool, available should display for all the JL longhaul routes. Unfortunately there often isn't much until quite close in to the flight, but keep checking back if you have a particular flight and date in mind.
aircrashsurvivor likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think a key question that's missing here is:

Where are you trying to go?
Anywhere safe and convenient with a toddler.

Japan it is!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:19 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Would suggest HKG-HND is sub-optimal as it will be a breakfast flight and you'll be missing out on the best aspects of the HND-HKG CX service.

As a separate point, with CX F you should also be aware of the general tiering of routes - believe only LHR and JFK get access to the best wine list with vintage Bordeaux etc. these days.

For reference, QR also serve Krug 2004 but on all routes in F. The CX Krug 2004 offering is seasonal, I believe, and will be rotated out for another champagne later in the year, with JL also doing the same but with different champages after the removal of Salon.
True.
Strangely I've flown HND-HKG 3x in F but never the other way around.

My suggested itinerary, in reverse, would be better. A poster upthread mentioned that Comtes is served on this route now, which would be more than adequate for such a short flight. (I'd also argue that the Kaiseki catering is the best of any CX route)

My last QR F flight only had the NV but it seems like there is a general trend amongst airlines to switch to the 2004, due to NV supply issues.
The fact that QR has F flights, on its flagship LHR route, that offer no bedding or PJs, as well as a reduced meal service; means that it is totally out of the conversation, when it comes to judging the best OW F product.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat

JL has better food

CX is close behind.

A great trip would be:
LHR-SIN QF F
SIN-HKG CX J
HKG-HND CX F
HND-LHR JL F

Thanks! What about NA east coast departure from YYZ or JFK? Should we fly CX to Asia, QF to Australia, CX back to Asia and JAL back to NA?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:25 am

My suggested itinerary, in reverse, would be better. A poster upthread mentioned that Comtes is served on this route now, which would be more than adequate for such a short flight. (I'd also argue that the Kaiseki catering is the best of any CX route)
Yes, was me that said both of these things so I tend to agree
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Mike P
Actually it might work if you look at the opening post again?
Yes - thanks for that but in my defence it was very early in the morning! Actually I have a feeling that MH also limit long haul J awards to just 1 seat as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.