Best F Avios Can Buy

Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Best F Avios Can Buy

Have a lot of Avios to burn. I wonder what’s the best F Avios has access to? CX? JAL? Qantas? How is the availability in F for each carrier? We have three pax (2 adults and 1 toddler; open to a mix of F and J long as I get one F).

We are ok with paying hefty (up to 1k pp) taxes and charges whatnot for a great F product.

Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Have a lot of Avios to burn. I wonder what’s the best F Avios has access to? CX? JAL? Qantas? How is the availability in F for each carrier? We have three pax (2 adults and 1 toddler; open to a mix of F and J long as I get one F).

We are ok with paying hefty (up to 1k pp) taxes and charges whatnot for a great F product.

Thanks!
I prefer JAL F.
CX F may be more convenient as it allows you to connect to other destinations easier.
Not bothered by Qantas or Qatar F.
I'd probably rank them in that order..
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
I prefer JAL F.
CX F may be more convenient as it allows you to connect to other destinations easier.
Not bothered by Qantas or Qatar F.
I'd probably rank them in that order..
Hows availbility of CX F from JFK or ORD? We have to get positioning flight from/to YYZ.

So wish Emirates is part of OW!
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:13 am

JL for me too! Although having a shower on EY was an interesting addition to F the overall JL experience surpasses every other F (I’ve tried eight with NH coming up soon).
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Sticking to "F [that] Avios has access to", I think the best is JL. JL F also has close-in availability surprisingly often on LHR-Tokyo though 3 seats could be a struggle; 2 is more achievable. JL Business is also quite fine.

CX is quite good, followed closely QF.

JL F service is very good. Extremely thoroughly attentive crews who practice the 'invisible elves" style of service - you're expected to use the call button at which point one will appear next to you within seconds. The ground service also does not suck, for example the gate agents will tend to find you in the queue and take you to the front. Clearly, They Do Know Who I Am
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:00 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Bizzare... JAL #1 !? Qatar A380 First is really lovely, beautiful cabin and overall product. I have consistently found JAL First (including ground product) really mediocre.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I don't rate QR and its robotic, terrified crew as highly as some people. I look under the veneer.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by flatlander
I don't rate QR and its robotic, terrified crew as highly as some people. I look under the veneer.
I agree wholeheartedly
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by flatlander
Sticking to "F [that] Avios has access to", I think the best is JL. JL F also has close-in availability surprisingly often on LHR-Tokyo though 3 seats could be a struggle; 2 is more achievable. JL Business is also quite fine.

CX is quite good, followed closely QF.

JL F service is very good. Extremely thoroughly attentive crews who practice the 'invisible elves" style of service - you're expected to use the call button at which point one will appear next to you within seconds. The ground service also does not suck, for example the gate agents will tend to find you in the queue and take you to the front. Clearly, They Do Know Who I Am
+1 for JL F..
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: Some
Regarding QR crew, I think the issue here is also there is also a massive gap between the way they typically act in J and the way they typically act in F and most posters are judging based on QR J. QR has a very involved service in J and on a full flight this makes it difficult for the crew to spend much time engaging in conversation with the passengers until after the meal service is complete, as the service is clearly quite labour intensive. In F, in comparison, I think there's much more time to get to know the crew and, frankly, I would rate the service I typically receive in QR F much more highly than what I used to get in BA F.

Regarding the OPs original question, I'm in the 'JL F is the best F Avios can buy' camp (particularly ex-TYO). CX is not bad, but frankly the catering is often no better than BA F these days (service, hard product and wine list still materially better). QR next, although I think it's basically impossible to book this on Avios now as QR is basically no longer releasing F class long haul redemption availability to partners. Then a big gap to BA, with AA bringing up the rear. I have never flown QF F, but I imagine it would slot in behind QR.
nivsy likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Don't discount QR F, I've flown it a number of times on the BKK route on an A380 and found it a very enjoyable experience. The hard product is miles ahead of BA F.
nivsy likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:37 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
My preference would also be JAL, by quite a distance. CX F used to be almost as good, but has declined recently to the level where I'm not sure it would stand up to QR F on the 380...
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:48 am

Flew JAL F earlier this year LHR - HND, best flight overall I've ever taken, best sleep I've had on a plane and service was out of this World just resist the temptation to eat yourself stupid in the T3 OW lounges before you board.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I prefer BA F.... with a 2-4-1
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I prefer BA F.... with a 2-4-1
Hope Alex doesn’t make those 2-4-1’s harder / impossible for you to get when he eventually announces the outcome of his Avios/BAEC review.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.