Wiki Posts
Search

Best F Avios Can Buy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
So wish Emirates is part of OW!
Can you use Avois to get onto the Emirates codeshare with Qantas?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Can you use Avois to get onto the Emirates codeshare with Qantas?
No codeshares are not available to book only flights op by QF metal with a QF flight number
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:50 am

Although I've yet to try JL F, I'll put in a shout for often-overlooked MH F. I really liked the food, the seat, privacy and the service was absolutely spot on. Nothing too much trouble and somehow without hovering they seemed to appear at just the moment I wanted something.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
I don't rate QR and its robotic, terrified crew as highly as some people. I look under the veneer.
I've never flown F so have nothing to offer the OP, but surely this needs some context or further explanation? Terrified of management, of the plane's reliability, of ?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Although I've yet to try JL F, I'll put in a shout for often-overlooked MH F. I really liked the food, the seat, privacy and the service was absolutely spot on. Nothing too much trouble and somehow without hovering they seemed to appear at just the moment I wanted something.
I've flown both and I agree with you that MH is pretty good, last time I was the only one in the cabin (A380 KLIA - LHR) so had one seat for eating / drinking / movie watching and my bed made up on another seat for when I'd eaten / drunk too much.

MH vs JL
Seat: tie, they are both vast (MH edges it as I was on a flight where I could use more than one
Toiletries: JL (they also give you a gift which was some Shisheido face stuff which I never use but is a good gift), the case they come in is great, natty looking and highly reusable
PJs: tie, the JL ones were good but didn't wear the MH ones as it was a daytime flight and they were the designated present for mother
Bedding: JL, the choice between hard and soft mattress thing is lovely, best nights sleep I've had on a plane
Food: JL, the multi-course Japanese dinner is quite something on an airplane, MH satay is lit tho
Booze: JL, more high end stuff I recognised...and ALL THE SAKE.
Service: JL, though this was close, JL are so professional and think of everything however MH were perhaps warmer and very very good by any standard

So from my experience JL wins but MH was no slouch.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
I would agree with JL being the best.

The best value F redemption however is surely Singapore to Hong Kong on Cathay. Effectively a 3 hour lunch which was quite superb and even time to doze off the main effects of too much champagne, wine , port and cognac.

My wife and I, along with kids took up 4 of the 6 seats but I completely forgot I had children so well cared for were they on the flight.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by binman
I would agree with JL being the best.

The best value F redemption however is surely Singapore to Hong Kong on Cathay. Effectively a 3 hour lunch which was quite superb and even time to doze off the main effects of too much champagne, wine , port and cognac.

My wife and I, along with kids took up 4 of the 6 seats but I completely forgot I had children so well cared for were they on the flight.
HND-HKG is probably the best value I think (I've actually done both routes in the last year or so), same number of Avios required but a longer flight and the Japanese Kaiseki meal is probably better than CX long haul catering. They also now seem to often have a wine list on the route closer to CX longhaul (e.g. they were serving Comtes des Champagne when I did it a few months ago).
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I prefer BA F.... with a 2-4-1
OP asked for best, not cheapest. Though 2-4-1 + GUF means you can't really complain about F being "the best J seat" anymore...
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The HND-HKG CX flight with F cabin is really good for a smaller amount of Avios. Don't go the other way for a one-off special journey, because they only serve a rather limited Asian fusion breakfast and not the full Kaiseki that they do from HND.

You can't do this any more: back in 2011 I had had some good personal and professional successes so my partner and I went on a long RTW F holiday including HKG-HND with myself in seat 1A in the front of the 747. We took off from HKG and made a wide banking turn around the back of HK Island toward Japan, the view of the outlying islands was fabulous, the sun glinted through my Pacific Sunrise [1], and I really felt like I had made it in life.

Even on a lesser aircraft (777), I wouldn't knock that flight in CX F if it's available and convenient for you.

[1] Pacific Sunrise: ½ oz. Drambuie, Champagne, 4 pieces each of lemon and orange zest. Pour the Drambuie in a champagne flute. Top up with champagne and garnish with the lemon and orange zest.
memesweeper likes this.

Last edited by flatlander; Jun 6, 2018 at 4:25 pm Reason: CX, duh
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I think a key question that's missing here is:

Where are you trying to go?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by flatlander
The HND-HKG JL flight with F cabin is really good for a smaller amount of Avios. Don't go the other way for a one-off special journey, because they only serve a rather limited Asian fusion breakfast and not the full Kaiseki that they do from HND.

You can't do this any more: back in 2011 I had had some good personal and professional successes so my partner and I went on a long RTW F holiday including HKG-HND with myself in seat 1A in the front of the 747. We took off from HKG and made a wide banking turn around the back of HK Island toward Japan, the view of the outlying islands was fabulous, the sun glinted through my Pacific Sunrise [1], and I really felt like I had made it in life.

Even on a lesser aircraft (777), I wouldn't knock that flight in CX F if it's available and convenient for you.

[1] Pacific Sunrise: ½ oz. Drambuie, Champagne, 4 pieces each of lemon and orange zest. Pour the Drambuie in a champagne flute. Top up with champagne and garnish with the lemon and orange zest.
You mean CX rather than JL, I assume. Also sounds like your crew could have used some re-training in collecting glasses before takeoff
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:15 pm

My vote is JAL F, simply awesome.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by binman

In a similar situation I too would forget I had my cost centers tagging along, but that's because they would be in the back while we sit upfront.
binman likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
You mean CX rather than JL, I assume. Also sounds like your crew could have used some re-training in collecting glasses before takeoff
Duh, yes, you're right. I fixed my post.

I lke that they left me with the glass. I had a firm grip on it
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
deleted

Last edited by Blueboys999; Jun 6, 2018 at 9:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.