Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Third Runway Approved by Parliament

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Third Runway Approved by Parliament

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:52 am
Suspended

It’s a long time to the vote in the commons, anything could happen. The media love the strong individuals on all sides of the debate, the journalists will relish this because it’s something the public aren’t yet bored of.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
Originally Posted by BOH
No we don't, same probably applies to AMS, BRU, CDG, MAN, EDI, GLA and probably quite a few more. Using small aircraft with high frequency is very inefficient, people would soon adapt if it was changed to say 5x daily but on much bigger aircraft. It would free up some slots
Yes, there's nothing wrong with wide bodies doing SH routes. SV (Saudia) uses 747s and 777s on the hour long RUH JED route almost on a a half-hourly basis, throughout the day, to cope with the demand!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by onaswan
Yes, there's nothing wrong with wide bodies doing SH routes. SV (Saudia) uses 747s and 777s on the hour long RUH JED route almost on a a half-hourly basis, throughout the day, to cope with the demand!
Maybe BA can buy some of those knackered SQ A380s, fill them up with high-density short-haul seating, and shuttle them between LHR and DUB, CDG, AMS etc. How many of those new densified Recaro seats could you fit on an A380?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
So, according to the BBC article, this will be entirely privately funded and landing charges should remain at current levels. Will the increased slots really be able to pay back the £14bn (which will almost certainly inflate if recent UK infrastructure project history tells us anything) with a profit in a reasonable timescale?

I’d be interested in the sums on that one, because it feels a bit unlikely without a LOT of shopping. I suspect a lot of the “absolute requirements” mentioned by Mr Grayling would have to go by the board for this to work. I’m in favour of the runway, just doesn’t seem to add up. I suppose most of the politicians concerned will be long gone (and probably working as non-execs for the contractors) by the time the chickens come home to roost.

I still hope parliament approves it.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
So, according to the BBC article, this will be entirely privately funded and landing charges should remain at current levels. Will the increased slots really be able to pay back the £14bn (which will almost certainly inflate if recent UK infrastructure project history tells us anything) with a profit in a reasonable timescale?
Of course not. A couple of years before it's finished we'll get an announcement that the cost has overrun and passenger fees/APD will have to be increased to cover it. Why take it out of profits when you can lobby the government to make the passengers pay.
flygirl68 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:31 am

I'd be astonished if anything happens in the next decade, even assuming it can be got through parliament.

For now the focus is on Brexit, and afterwards a change of government will see fresh enquiries.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I'm only in favour of the additional runway

(a) if they restrict the extra slots available so the whole airport runs at 75-80% capacity (similar to I believe AMS and FRA) so that weather or a runway issue etc don't cause a total meltdown in flights.
If that is so at AMS, it entirely fails at preventing runway or weather issues from causing widespread service issues. AMS reliability in the face of adverse weather is very poor.

If this idea does work somewhere, please explain where it does work and how it works.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Personally I hope the ‘heathrow hub’ ( long runway ) proposal wins it’s legal challenge against HAL/DOT and that option is put back on the table. The HAL 3rd runway is environmentaly a terrible option when compared to it, or indeed a second at LGW.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by memesweeper
Personally I hope the ‘heathrow hub’ ( long runway ) proposal wins it’s legal challenge against HAL/DOT and that option is put back on the table. The HAL 3rd runway is environmentaly a terrible option when compared to it, or indeed a second at LGW.
the end on end runways plan doesn’t exist anywhere else in the world that I have seen.

I would rather that one of the busiest commercial airports in the world wasn’t used as an experiment for an untested idea.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
I'd be astonished if anything happens in the next decade, even assuming it can be got through parliament.

For now the focus is on Brexit, and afterwards a change of government will see fresh enquiries.
My gut feeling is this time it will actually to through and be done. The government need to show britain can be strong after brexit hence building massive infrastructure.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:10 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA

the end on end runways plan doesn’t exist anywhere else in the world that I have seen.

I would rather that one of the busiest commercial airports in the world wasn’t used as an experiment for an untested idea.
Then no progress would ever occur in many areas. For a new concept / idea / product to be introduced there always has to be a first somewhere @:-)

Substantial modelling, risk assessments and simulations will occur and a huge safety case will have to be completed and assessed. The safety margin distance between the end of the landing section and the start of the take-off section of one long runway will be substantial to cover every possible overrun scenario. I'm all for it - let the UK lead the world in this concept rather than us sit back and always think of a thousand reasons why something can't happen.
memesweeper likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
Then no progress would ever occur in may areas. For a new concept / idea / product to be introduced there always has to be a first somewhere @:-)

Substantial modelling, risk assessments and simulations will occur and a huge safety case will have to be completed and assessed. The safety margin distance between the end of the landing section and the start of the take-off section of one long runway will be substantial to cover every possible overrun scenario. I'm all for it - let the UK lead the world in this concept rather than us sit back and always think of a thousand reasons why something can't happen.
Great - let's do it at an airport in the UK which isn't the busiest and where an error could lead to tens of thousands being delayed.

Why not build that at Birmingham maybe ... or Manchester?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by MPH1980
Great - let's do it at an airport in the UK which isn't the busiest and where an error could lead to tens of thousands being delayed.

Because almost 40% of the country's GDP (and increasing) is in London and South East and the demand is not for flights from Birmingham and Manchester?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
Because almost 40% of the country's GDP (and increasing) is in London and South East and the demand is not for flights from Birmingham and Manchester?
Sorry - you perhaps misunderstand my post. I've absolutely no problem with the third runway.

But let's not put an untested system of end-on-end runways at one of the worlds busiest where a mistake could delay tens of thousands for days on end. Let's put it somewhere else and test it there first.

Runway 4 (if the system is proven) can become end-on-end.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MPH1980

indeed. Let’s not try out the crazy ideas at the busiest airport first. Wonder why no one else has tried it yet if it’s such a great idea?

EDIT: just to add the airports commission did consider the end on end (Heathrow hub ltd) solution. The northwest runway solution proposed by HAL was unanimously found to present the strongest case though.

Last edited by KARFA; Jun 5, 2018 at 12:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.