Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Use Avios to select your seats on British Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use Avios to select your seats on British Airways

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: BAEC
They are available on existing bookings (reward and revenue) or at least they are in my case.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
They are available on existing bookings (reward and revenue) or at least they are in my case.
Through MMB (App) for a couple of upcoming CE reward flights, only cash seat reservations seem to be available. Am I missing something?
Old May 8, 2018, 2:49 pm

You have to go through the process to the payment screen then click the link for Avios payment as opposed to money. I’ve only looked on the ap (iOS) so don’t know how it works on other formats
Old May 8, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold
To your average FlyerTalking, Tier Point running GGL’er who puts every last bean on a BA Amex and has an Avios balance that could be confused for a phone number, this is of course an absurd use of Avios (setting aside the obvious fact that such an individual would have free seat selection anyway.)
But to people who fly BA once a year (or once every other year) in Economy and otherwise do not chase Avios collecting opportunities - which I suspect is a sizeable chunk of BA’s passengers - it is a way to swap an otherwise meaningless number for the tangible benefit of free seat selection.

It’s the sort of behaviour that’s almost the antithesis of this forums reason for existing - to help extract the best possible value from FF programs - but to casual fliers it can make sense. I recently swapped 9,000 UA miles for a $50 gift card - an atrocious use of miles to a frequent UA flier. But money in my pocket for what otherwise would have been a useless number that would have eventually just expired unused.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
You have to go through the process to the payment screen then click the link for Avios payment as opposed to money. I’ve only looked on the ap (iOS) so don’t know how it works on other formats
Many thanks for this, got it now!
Old May 8, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
My suspicion is that this may become a devaluation of BAEC status by stealth. Gold and Silver cardholders might have fewer seat options because Blue members are using (poor value) Avios because they are - to an infrequent leisure traveller - often regarded as worthless.
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
Continued erosion of benefits. Yet another reason not to be a loyal member and just a member.
Now I have to fight twice as hard to get preferred seats, just so the airline can make a bit more money off a supposed perk. Definitely a thumbs down..
Absolutely! The addition of a new payment method will have the Blues rushing to their computers to reserve seats! If they add paypal as payment method for seat reservations, then we are doomed! Doomed!

Originally Posted by GM1985
But to people who fly BA once a year (or once every other year) in Economy and otherwise do not chase Avios collecting opportunities - which I suspect is a sizeable chunk of BA’s passengers - it is a way to swap an otherwise meaningless number for the tangible benefit of free seat selection.

That argument does not necessarily hold up given that the seat reservations cost substantial more than what your once-a-year flyer will earn on his flights. The exception is really the once-a-year CW LH flyer. That person is however likely to reach Bronze.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Absolutely! The addition of a new payment method will have the Blues rushing to their computers to reserve seats! If they add paypal as payment method for seat reservations, then we are doomed! Doomed!

That .argument does not necessarily hold up given that the seat reservations cost substantial more than what your once-a-year flyer will earn on his flights. The exception is really the once-a-year CW LH flyer. That person is however likely to reach Bronze.
hate to be the bearer of bad news but you can pay for seat selection with PayPal too.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Nice idea. Horrendous rates:

Yikes!
Old May 8, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
That argument does not necessarily hold up given that the seat reservations cost substantial more than what your once-a-year flyer will earn on his flights. The exception is really the once-a-year CW LH flyer. That person is however likely to reach Bronze.
But they can reduce the cost of seat selection. I’m not saying this is a fantastic, revolutionary benefit. But to those who earn a modest number of Avios but will never achieve a balance to do something particularly worthwhile to them, my point was that “free” or reduced price seat selection (or a cup of bought-on-board tea) is at least something vaguely productive or do with them, even if to the vast majority of the FlyerTalk community it would be a waste of Avios (which I agree wholly with)
seanp7, HIDDY and anniegray like this.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
I think the bronze members will also benefit so it's not just blue. I would expect these would make up at least the half the 'status' passengers per flight. Given that many flights are already struggling with seat selection for taller members with advanced status, I fail to see how this helps those who have attained status for these benefits/perks?? Another reason to fly elsewhere, as the demand for these seats hot up with the continued densification of whatever fleet BA can get away with.

Just because you may not be adversely affected does not mean it is good enough reason to pour scorn on those that hate the idea of this erosion of benefit and its consequences. Nevertheless thank you for your other useful insights...
Old May 8, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GFL
As a GGL, very depressing.

No one HAS to spend anything, so on the one hand it's nice to have the option I suppose, but it feels like a punishment on low status passengers all the same.

I guess this is where the market is headed. How sad.
Old May 9, 2018, 5:51 am

I wonder when we will get the option to use avios to pay for taxes and fees on redemption flights

think that would be a great option, but sadly never I thinks
Old May 9, 2018, 8:13 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by mwp1
I wonder when we will get the option to use avios to pay for taxes and fees on redemption flights

think that would be a great option, but sadly never I thinks
While this would allow BA to claim that avios flights are completely free, I expect the rate is going to be the same 0.55p as we are seeing for seat selection, which would not be great at all.

Some people might perceive it as getting a good rate on average, but that would be a false economy - consider the alternatives of
- £2500
- 180000 avios + £500
- 271000 avios
Old May 9, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I still wish they'd put more effort (i.e. more availability) into letting you use frequent flyer point for flights. All these other options really just highlight their failures at that.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by A P Yu
I still wish they'd put more effort (i.e. more availability) into letting you use frequent flyer point for flights.
Why would an airline make more seats available at cheapo cheapo fares (ie in exchange for frequent flyer points) than revenue management models suggest is wise?

If you want more availability, it's easy: spend a bit more money to become a Gold, and pay double fare for your award flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.