Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Use Avios to select your seats on British Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 5:31 am
Company Representative - British Airways
Original Poster

From today, British Airways is offering customers even more ways to spend their Avios, by giving them the opportunity to use Avios to select their seats.

Now, customers will also have the option to choose to use Avios to reduce the cost of seat selection, or to cover the cost in full.
Customers who do not have access to free seat selection, and do not wish to pay, will continue to be able to select their seat for free when check-in opens 24-hours before departure*.

British Airways already offers free seat selection for Gold and Silver members of the British Airways Executive Club from the time they book, and also offers free seat selection for Bronze members seven days before their flight departs. The move, therefore, will be of the biggest benefit to Blue members who can now choose to use their Avios, instead of cash, to select their seat. The opportunity to fully cover the cost of selecting seats, or cover part of the cost, using Avios, is available on all British Airways operated flights and can be actioned through Manage My Booking on ba.com or through the contact centre**. Customers who do not wish to spend Avios but do want to select their seats, will still be able to pay the cash amount.

Notes:
  1. *All customers (with the exception of those travelling on Basic fares) will continue to be able to select their seats for free at online check-in, which opens 24 hours before departure, and at the airport. Those customers travelling on Basic fares will continue to be allocated a seat at check in.
  2. As per policy, we’ll continue to do our best to seat families together a few days before their flight departs. Seats may be split across aisles or rows. However, children under 12 will always be seated with an adult on the same booking. More information can be found here.
  3. There will continue to be no charge for reserving a seat if a customer has a specific seating requirement because of their disability. More information can be found here.
  4. **Full terms and conditions can be seen here.
  5. The option to pay to select seats using Avios is available regardless of fare type.
May 8, 2018

Old May 8, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Sounds like a good move. I wonder what the exchange rate will be?
mike&co and TheJayHatch like this.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
No indication on how many are needed?

I am in favour iof BA doing this (as I have posted in the other threads) but the number of avios needed is rather crucial.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Doesn’t seem to be live yet, just tried and cash only.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:55 am

I just checked as well. I have 2 flights coming up. One in WT+ and one in Club World, and cash only as of now.

I have some spare Avios...
Old May 8, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Amex Premium Plus, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP
I've just checked this as I have a flight for 4 in Club LAS-LHR in June. If I select four seats in the lower deck at a cost of £85 each and click through to the payment page I get the option to pay using Avois in full or in part payment. All 4 seats will cost 61800 Avios in total. At today's Avios purchase rate (50% bonus expiries today) that would cost £655 to purchase 40k Avios plus the 20k bonus.
hugolover likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Quelle surprise.

The same 0.55p per point they use for all other redemptions eg wine.
EuropeanPete and hugolover like this.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC
Its 36,350 Avios for two upper deck seats on our SIN flight next month or £200.00 for cash
Old May 8, 2018, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Hi BA Executive Club is there a chance we might see someone active on the board again ?
T8191, wrp96, Gshumway and 1 others like this.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
Its 36,350 Avios for two upper deck seats on our SIN flight next month or £200.00 for cash
Wow ! That’s a big chunk of Avios.

Even in the current Buy Avios offer - with a 50% bonus - 36K Avios would cost very close to £400.
hugolover likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by subject2load

Wow ! That’s a big chunk of Avios.

Even in the current Buy Avios offer - with a 50% bonus - 36K Avios would cost very close to £400.
It's safe to say, I am not tempted...
kosy91 likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Freddie Laker
I've just checked this as I have a flight for 4 in Club LAS-LHR in June. If I select four seats in the lower deck at a cost of £85 each and click through to the payment page I get the option to pay using Avois in full or in part payment. All 4 seats will cost 61800 Avios in total. At today's Avios purchase rate (50% bonus expiries today) that would cost £655 to purchase 40k Avios plus the 20k bonus.
Useless then! You only see the avios if you express an interest in paying?

Most people won't click through.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Pfft. Terrible exchange rate.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:33 am

Tried quickly for a LCY-ZRH trip:

And for one of my next LGW-SVQ (exit row):

I don't think I would be using this option for now... Very poor value in my opinion :/
hugolover likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
That's awful....
hugolover and florens like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.