FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Use Avios to select your seats on British Airways
Old May 8, 2018, 3:21 pm
WorldLux

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
My suspicion is that this may become a devaluation of BAEC status by stealth. Gold and Silver cardholders might have fewer seat options because Blue members are using (poor value) Avios because they are - to an infrequent leisure traveller - often regarded as worthless.
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
Continued erosion of benefits. Yet another reason not to be a loyal member and just a member.
Now I have to fight twice as hard to get preferred seats, just so the airline can make a bit more money off a supposed perk. Definitely a thumbs down..
Absolutely! The addition of a new payment method will have the Blues rushing to their computers to reserve seats! If they add paypal as payment method for seat reservations, then we are doomed! Doomed!

Originally Posted by GM1985
But to people who fly BA once a year (or once every other year) in Economy and otherwise do not chase Avios collecting opportunities - which I suspect is a sizeable chunk of BA’s passengers - it is a way to swap an otherwise meaningless number for the tangible benefit of free seat selection.

That argument does not necessarily hold up given that the seat reservations cost substantial more than what your once-a-year flyer will earn on his flights. The exception is really the once-a-year CW LH flyer. That person is however likely to reach Bronze.