Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing a nappy in the lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:52 pm

This thread is hilarious.

changing a nappy in a lounge not ideal by any stretch but the whole ‘you should have reported them response’ is hilarious- it’s like you’re still in school.

Miss miss miss Kate took my pencil miss.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:10 pm

I would report someone if they walked past me in the lounge and snatched the pencil out of my hand. Especially if it was Kate. Seems she has form.
lizban and bisonrav like this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I tend not to let these things bother me. Especially when travelling and mixing with people from all over the world.
Absolutely right. This thread is getting to be in very poor taste frankly.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:26 pm

If it was #1 , then it's a quick change and can be done in seconds... faster than it probably took to post on FT. #2 yes, make the effort to change it out of the way or in the restroom.

Either way, it's low on the spectrum of things that bother me when traveling. Personally, I find yelling into a mobile in the lounge 10x more annoying.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Originally Posted by El Miameńo
Doesn't surprise me. I see so much "bad" behavior while traveling. I now believe I am a relic at 57 years old who actually expects decorum, manners and education.

I fly MIA-JFK-MIA every week and all the flight attendants hate those itineraries because they say the passengers generally are more rude, feel entitled and don't even speak politely. So, I experience this stuff every week.

I honestly can't believe that in about 30 years we fell so far so fast.

More On Topic: I would have definitely said something to the club and perhaps to the parent. I don't think people even realize this could be remotely offensive. Let alone, airing their kid's privates.
im 32 years old, and totally agree with you
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrsW

I have also witnessed this inflight. Not once, but twice during the same LH flight. I looked up owing to the awful smell. There are pull down changing tables in the washroom. I know, because I have changed both my kids in there.

I was recently on an AA flight where an obviously educated and affluent couple changed their baby in the seats in front of my family. No one should EVER do this. The smell was truly unbelievable. We directed the vents toward the offending couple, held our noses and prayed we could survive until the odor dissipated. It was a rough few minutes. Admittedly, this had to be the poop-to-end-all-poops, but still. I know I'm sounding ridiculous but, trust me, it was like being locked into the the worst never-emptied port-o-potty you've ever been to, with no opportunity for escape. I say this in hopes that somebody reading this reconsiders the idea of changing their kid at their seat. Don't do it. Ever.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Animal feces can contain a host of parasites some particularly nasty ones. Baby poo on the other hand while unpleasant is far less of a hazard. Yet people don’t get so worked up by feet on seats or bulkheads.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:14 am

If people were intended to change their babies diapers in public lounges, then that's where diaper changing tables would be installed.

Honestly, i'm surprised this is even an arguable point, but I guess on Flyertalk anything involving parenting is going to be a matter of debate.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by ermen
don't see what the issue is if you are discrete.
i.e. what you don't see or hear will not kill you
The smell could kill (your appetite) though
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Worcester
Animal feces can contain a host of parasites some particularly nasty ones. Baby poo on the other hand while unpleasant is far less of a hazard. Yet people don’t get so worked up by feet on seats or bulkheads.
Some do, including me!
I rank that as being worse in terms of hygiene than changing a baby on a lounge seat, because of the direct contact of the dirty surface with the seat, whereas it there is no leak or spillage, changing a baby should not have any contamination contact with the seat.

Not that I feel happy to see such a behaviour, and I firmly believe that it should be done in the loo, but I can see possible need for the mother to do it, whereas feet on seat/bulkhead is merely a selfish behaviour (at least generally speaking, there may be some exceptional cases where there is a need).
flygirl68 and LondonCanuck like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:38 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
There are facilities, she should have used them. If you chose to travel with a baby, this is one of the things that has to be taken into account. You should have informed the Lounge Staff and let them deal with the matter. This is not acceptable.

To the good soul who asked how have we fallen so fast? I think that it is because people like us allowed others to get away with this rather than standing up and saying NO! I'm a fairly tolerant person but this is a hygiene issue. I simply cannot understand what sort of parent would do this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by lizban
Changing a nappy in a lounge not ideal by any stretch but the whole ‘you should have reported them response’ is hilarious- it’s like you’re still in school.
It's not a question of "reporting" the culprit, or telling tales, but rather asking the lounge staff to deal with it, as they are the only ones with the authority to do so (and I'm quite sure that changing a baby's filthy diaper in the seating area of the lounge would is something they would actively discourage).
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:41 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Wow... is there no end to the self centredness of people with children that they can rationalise doing something like this.

I mean that is literally what a nappy is for, to keep your child's droppings contained until you can take it somewhere sanitary and private. I doubt unless their friends or family are total slobs they would go to someone else house and change a nappy on the soft furnishings in their living room.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by amt
I doubt unless their friends or family are total slobs they would go to someone else house and change a nappy on the soft furnishings in their living room.
My Mother in law did exactly this in my house once with one of my own children, despite the fact that I had a changing station set up in the bathroom upstairs.

After my husband had peeled me off the ceiling and quietly ushered her out of the house, she never ever did it again. Apparently it was acceptable when her children were young.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Totally gross, and on a plane seat is even 'grosser'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.