Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing a nappy in the lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by subject2load
I’d say there’s a good reason why you / we have never witnessed this in a lounge before : almost everyone knows it to be very offensive.
Indeed... It happened on a bus I was on a few years back. It bloody stunk the bus out.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by Misco60
Whether or not you've personally witnessed it is not really relevant; the OP did see it.

I'm with the majority here - this was disgusting, inconsiderate behaviour and should have been reported immediately.
But it wasn't, which makes this thread a bit of an exercise in shared moral outrage and nothing more than that. The time to report or otherwise deal with it was when it happened. As it doesn't seem anyone complained at the time, and presumably this was seen by a lot of people, it seems the majority view is maybe a little more nuanced?

Seriously though, if you're eating in non designated eating areas in a public place, you're taking all the risks you attribute to nappy changing anyway. The reason people do is that the risks in reality are extremely low. There is zero difference between someone transferring dog fecal matter (for example) to a sofa where people may eat by putting their shoes on it and to the risk of a similar contamination from a nappy change. There is a much higher risk of someone transmitting flu by travelling while ill than from either of those scenarios.

Anyway there are limits to how often you can express a contrary opinion so I'll check out at this point. Personally I wouldn't do it, and it's not something I see happening anywhere anyway. I can think of situations where it might be justifiable. I didn't see what happened, so I'm not really in a position to judge, but I have a contrary nature.
GLA and Worcester like this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:45 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
[QUOTE=bisonrav;29639134]There's very little that can come out of a nappy that's worse that's what's already on public seating .

You must have been very lucky, as what comes out my my sweet grandchildren could sometimes be called as WMD’s 😀😀
Crampedin13A, cruisr and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
[QUOTE=PJSMITH0;29639310]
Originally Posted by bisonrav
There's very little that can come out of a nappy that's worse that's what's already on public seating .

You must have been very lucky, as what comes out my my sweet grandchildren could sometimes be called as WMD’s 😀😀
OK, I know I said I'd check out, but (a) agreed, evidence being my youngest son, and (b) nothing that has ever come out of him has come close to the stench in F on a flight to Toronto where one of the passengers was noxiously farting continuously for 4 hours. Mind you, it added a bit of authentic atmosphere to the Dunkirk movie.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by simons1
Reminds me of the 'walking stick by food' thread the other day which seemed to mysteriously disappear.
Indeed. Struck me as strange for it be moded away given what else remains. Google thinks it should still be at Over the top? Hygiene alert, but nothing to be found...

EDIT: And the URL resolver did it's thing, so it's still in there somewhere ...
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: ECH Gold
Feral behaviour. Especially as facilities are nearby.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Rude, disgusting and inconsiderate. I traveled with an infant/baby/toddler and never would have done this. I always did the nappy changing at the appropriate place, the loo. No excuse except a lazy mother who most likely didn’t want to be bothered walking to a proper facility.
muji likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Gross. Time to tell a member of staff.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
We were in the JFK CCR a few weeks ago and needed to change our infant son's nappy. This was the first time I had been in the JFK CCR with our son so wasn't sure where the nearest baby change facility was so enquired at the desk. The lady advised us to just change him on a chair in the lounge! I said that we wouldn't do this out of courtesy to fellow passengers. She seemed very blase about it and kept trying to change our minds assuring us it was fine - the lounge was pretty busy at the time too, we still declined and eventually managed elsewhere in proper facilities...so I guess this lady wouldn't be very sympathetic should someone report this kind of behaviour to her!
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I don't find it appropriate, I wouldn't do it (and never done it), but I don't think of it as a such despicable and terrible offence... if there were no consequences around, of course.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Platinum
Doesn't surprise me. I see so much "bad" behavior while traveling. I now believe I am a relic at 57 years old who actually expects decorum, manners and education.

I fly MIA-JFK-MIA every week and all the flight attendants hate those itineraries because they say the passengers generally are more rude, feel entitled and don't even speak politely. So, I experience this stuff every week.

I honestly can't believe that in about 30 years we fell so far so fast.

More On Topic: I would have definitely said something to the club and perhaps to the parent. I don't think people even realize this could be remotely offensive. Let alone, airing their kid's privates.
MSPeconomist and 20Rothmans like this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by UTFB
..........................The lady advised us to just change him on a chair in the lounge! I said that we wouldn't do this out of courtesy to fellow passengers. She seemed very blase about it and kept trying to change our minds assuring us it was fine - the lounge was pretty busy at the time too, we still declined and eventually managed elsewhere in proper facilities...so I guess this lady wouldn't be very sympathetic should someone report this kind of behaviour to her!
All credit to you for doing the right thing (although I guess you don’t need any approval from me to validate what I’m sure is your normal standard of behaviour & common decency !)

As for the ‘helpful’ CCR lounge attendant : maybe the nicest thing we can say is that she’s clearly in the wrong job .........

MSPeconomist, wrp96 and UTFB like this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I tend not to let these things bother me. Especially when travelling and mixing with people from all over the world.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
don't see what the issue is if you are discrete.
i.e. what you don't see or hear will not kill you
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
On the “long list of unhygienic behavior unacceptable in polite company” public nappy changes are not even close to the top unfortunately.

In a lounge context the two that curdle my innards are the nose pick-and-flickers and the no.2-no-hand washers. Both species seen on a regular basis.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.