Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
Mid-J 747 Refurbishments
In April 2018 BA announced that they had started a programme to refurbish the cabins on the Mid-J 747-400 fleet. In January 2020, this programme was completed.

As part of the refurbishment all of the aircraft involved have undergone a basic refresh which consisted of:

* Full aircraft deep clean
* Seats in WT/WTP refurbished with new seat foams and cushions as on Super Hi-J aircraft

9 of the aircraft received an ENHANCED refurbishment to bring the cabin up to the same standard as the Super Hi-J 747-400 fleet. This consisted of what is listed above plus:

* New carpets fitted throughout
* All curtains replaced
* New Panasonic IFE fitted in all classes

Note: It was initially believed that the enhanced refurbishment included LED mood lighting throughout, but this is not the case. All retained standard lighting. There were no plans to install WiFi to any Mid-J configured 747-400 aircraft.
Refurbishment Progress
Note: Aircraft that have undergone an ENHANCED refurbishment are shown in red

Aircraft are listed below in the order that they were refurbished and show return to service date, along with retirement date where applicable.

G-CIVM - 03 April 2018 - Retired 16 Mar 2020
G-CIVN - 22 April 2018 - Retired 16 Apr 2020
G-CIVD - 28 June 2018 - Retired 8 August 2020
G-CIVO - 14 October 2018 - Retired 11 September 2020
G-CIVT - 11 November 2018 - Retired 3 April 2020
G-CIVA - 14 January 2019 - Retired 3 April 2020
G-CIVJ - 28 January 2019 - Retired 15 April 2020
G-CIVC - 03 March 2019 - Retired 6 November 2020
G-CIVE - 24 March 2019 - Retired 16 September 2020
G-CIVP - 08 April 2019 - Retired 21 September 2020
G-CIVL - 20 April 2019 - Retired 14 April 2020
G-CIVU - 11 October 2019
G-CIVK - 25 October 2019 - Retired 26 September 2020
G-BNLY - 24 November 2019
G-CIVB - 25 January 2020 - Retired 8 October 2020

Print Wikipost

Mid-J 747 Cabin Refresh

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Does anyone know which aircraft is scheduled on the BA275 to Vegas today, it’s not showing on Flight Radar and wondering if it’ll have had a spruce up and possibly new IFE ?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Does anyone know which aircraft is scheduled on the BA275 to Vegas today, it’s not showing on Flight Radar and wondering if it’ll have had a spruce up and possibly new IFE ?
G-CIVM
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MFCC

G-CIVM
Many thanks ! iPad fully loaded so I’ll be ok upstairs
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:21 am

I am flying on tomorrow on g-bnln which is due to be retired in July of this year. I booked WTP and wondering how old the seats are going to be... I've read they are still from the 90's? Also, wondering if it is worth trying to upgrade to club given the age of the seats and plane.... Can't find any pictures.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by feist
I am flying on tomorrow on g-bnln which is due to be retired in July of this year. I booked WTP and wondering how old the seats are going to be... I've read they are still from the 90's? Also, wondering if it is worth trying to upgrade to club given the age of the seats and plane.... Can't find any pictures.

WTP will look like this

Club will look like this

They're both pretty old. Slightly newer seats in club but both have the old entertainment system. If it was me I’d save my money and stay in WTP. If someone else was paying I’d upgrade 😁

Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Brigadier Big Moustache

WTP will look like this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kg3wwVrSOTo

Club will look like this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eogIaNL0bF8

They're both pretty old. Slightly newer seats in club but both have the old entertainment system. If it was me I’d save my money and stay in WTP. If someone else was paying I’d upgrade 😁

Oh wow.... I've been flying on the dreamliner for the last 5 years. Think I am in for a bt of a shock in WTP.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold, Marriott Platinum
Saw on The BA Source that G-CIVJ went over to Cardiff yesterday so based on the Wiki this may well be for it's WT/WTP seat cover refresh.

G-CIVA was doing some ground runs at Cardiff earlier this week too so hopefully will return back to service this week following a full refurb including new IFE in all cabins
FFlash likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:43 pm

I was on a recent business class flight from Miami to London; a 747.
Compared with my prior trip on Qantas in business, these are light years a part.

BA's seats are super uncomfortable and small. Honestly, I don't know how some people lie on them, I barely fit in and I'm pretty small.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I was on a recent business class flight from Miami to London; a 747.
Compared with my prior trip on Qantas in business, these are light years a part.

BA's seats are super uncomfortable and small. Honestly, I don't know how some people lie on them, I barely fit in and I'm pretty small.
I don't know how people fit their feet into the tiny coffins that are present in the J seats of some airlines, and manage to sleep any comfortably. That said, I don't go onto those airlines forums and complain about it to people who don't have any power to change them.
argonath, aidy and TedToToe like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by IslingtonFlyer
Saw on The BA Source that G-CIVJ went over to Cardiff yesterday so based on the Wiki this may well be for it's WT/WTP seat cover refresh.

G-CIVA was doing some ground runs at Cardiff earlier this week too so hopefully will return back to service this week following a full refurb including new IFE in all cabins

Looks like (on Flightradar24) G-CIVA preparing to reposition from Cardiff right now and back into service this evening scheduled to fly BA59 LHR-CPT.

The % chance of getting a non-refurbished bird reduces further, with a nice steady stream of refurbs due over the coming months, hooray! 🎉
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Brigadier Big Moustache

Looks like (on Flightradar24) G-CIVA preparing to reposition from Cardiff right now and back into service this evening scheduled to fly BA59 LHR-CPT.

The % chance of getting a non-refurbished bird reduces further, with a nice steady stream of refurbs due over the coming months, hooray! 🎉
So turns out G-CIVA didn't make it out of Cardiff today after all and CIVP now doing the Cape Town flight tonight. CIVA now scheduled for Phoenix tomorrow for its first post refurb flight..... fingers crossed......
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:58 pm

I just discovered this great forum! I will be traveling in Nov. 2019 - LHR to PHX in Premium, Economy (I think you refer to it as WTP?) - After MUCH looking and asking--I have settled on seats 15 AB (I'd prefer 12 AB, but they won't assign bulkhead ahead) - anyway-- I am so excited--after reading thorough zillions of pages -- to have learned about the equipment names (G-CIVD, etc.) - it's fun! I have really heard bad things about the BA 747-400's - but I am encouraged to see that I have a shot at least of getting one with an updated cabin with better IFE-- although since we in Phoenix are low of the food chain for BA...I am not holding my breath. But I will hope... I was so paranoid about the old planes that I booked one leg (Going over PHX to LHR on AA- once of their 777-200s. That was not an option for me on the way home...so, I am on the 747-400 with BA. I used basoource.com to see the PHX equipment history using the tracker--that was fun--and I really enjoyed all the information shared here--you guys are MUCH nicer than the Cruise Critic forum I am on! :-)

So.... what I learned about the seats in the Premium Economy (WTP?) cabin on the 747-400 (52 WC seats) - I think all this research is PRE any refurbishing
Row 15 seats on an aisle seem to have movable armrests-- seem like no others do
Most of the foot rests seem to be broken.
IFE screens are suckey--small and 90's distorted - when working
Bathrooms are not an issue in row 15, although you are served food & drink last, but apparently there is an ability to recline well in this row (?) - oh and the Club seating Galley snacks could be easily obtained (LOL)
By all accounts the lack of movable armrests make seat feel narrower and if someone is reclined in front of you (except bulkhead of course) standing up is not happening and one must bend a great deal and awkwardly slide to get out of the seat
Generally all reports cited good legroom in all seats
Location of this cabin in apparently near to some exit stairs...so getting off first is usually talked about as a plus in what I read

Would love to hear any more you guys have on the planes used for Phoenix routes and the WTP class on the 747-400s on BA...

Cheers--Traci
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
TraciBaker, with 7 posts, I’m not sure if you have had an official welcome to the BA forum, so far. Somebody may be along shortly to do this. If you are travelling in November this year, your chances of a fully refurbished 747 to Phoenix should improve further as the program progresses. Though, not all of the fleet are receiving the updated IFE.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:46 pm

Yikes--I am quite the poster! LOL
Thanks for the warm welcome TedToToe. :-) I am hopeful for a nice journey...it'll be part of a "once -in-a-lifetime" 12 day Mediterranean cruise out of Barcelona.

Last edited by TraciBaker; Jan 16, 2019 at 4:52 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
For what it’s worth, we had a refurbed aircraft to PHX in November. The IFE was far more usable than in the past (not much else changed in F). Over the course of a year nearly every BA mid-J 747 aircraft flies to PHX.
TraciBaker likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.