Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did BA pull all 2019 F Avios Availability?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lostflyer
Aside from first post and unhelpful speculation not adding much I would not necessarily rush to be so concerned about this change. One thing that does strike me is that it probably is a precursor to dynamic pricing and would be an interesting way for BA to dip their toe into the water on this?

I am wondering if there is some way they may want to distinguish premium routes with standard routes - and the premium routes are the ones where dynamic pricing will play a part? Perhaps linked to status? After all Golds and above are likely to have more Avios than lower tier members, so perhaps they might suggest 9 to 12 months out availability for First Redemptions is restricted to Gold and above? This is then tied to dynamic pricing in the sense that perhaps you are willing to pay more to get the seat in advance, reduces avois liabilities and gives BA a good way to get to the end of the year and see if dynamic pricing and route restriction and / or Executive club level restrictions work?

The other reason I suggest it is that it would drive loyalty still and could be touted as a genuine enhancement for higher tier members? Perhaps increase qualification flights from 4 to 6 or 8 for Gold and maybe tier point number but this is a sweetener for those who complain about not getting availability.

Anyway just a thought and wanted to offer something more contrary to the doom and gloom!
I will probably get flamed for this.....but we are very infrequent fliers who have been saving miles for several years now to fly F on BA to Europe. The miles we collect ( AS and AA) have been losing partners to the point where BA is just about the only airline we can redeem to our final destination. (Athens)

So if your hypothesis is true we, the casual flier who will only take up a precious seat on one flight perhaps in our lifetime, are screwed.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by david55
I will probably get flamed for this.....but we are very infrequent fliers who have been saving miles for several years now to fly F on BA to Europe. The miles we collect ( AS and AA) have been losing partners to the point where BA is just about the only airline we can redeem to our final destination. (Athens)

So if your hypothesis is true we, the casual flier who will only take up a precious seat on one flight perhaps in our lifetime, are screwed.
I can't speak for AS but AA has certainly not been losing partners over the past several years. The only relevant partner that you would have lost is AB (assuming that they flew to ATH) but ATH is now available on AA metal as a result of the US merger. Other potential One World routings to ATH besides BA include AY and IB.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sts603
I can't speak for AS but AA has certainly not been losing partners over the past several years. The only relevant partner that you would have lost is AB (assuming that they flew to ATH) but ATH is now available on AA metal as a result of the US merger. Other potential One World routings to ATH besides BA include AY and IB.
I have been re-searching for a year or so on this and yes, I can get to Athens, but with more than one connection and usually it involves the east coast. BA gives us the most direct flight(s) from the west coast. The miles, as I mentioned , were being saved for a rare trip in F.... it appears that business redemptions are still available in 2019 , so I will just have to adjust my thinking.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Although this is really annoying, I’d wait and see what tomorrow brings before panicking. Maybe they’ll actually tell us what’s going on tomorrow.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by lostflyer
Aside from first post and unhelpful speculation not adding much I would not necessarily rush to be so concerned about this change. One thing that does strike me is that it probably is a precursor to dynamic pricing and would be an interesting way for BA to dip their toe into the water on this?

I am wondering if there is some way they may want to distinguish premium routes with standard routes - and the premium routes are the ones where dynamic pricing will play a part? Perhaps linked to status? After all Golds and above are likely to have more Avios than lower tier members, so perhaps they might suggest 9 to 12 months out availability for First Redemptions is restricted to Gold and above? This is then tied to dynamic pricing in the sense that perhaps you are willing to pay more to get the seat in advance, reduces avois liabilities and gives BA a good way to get to the end of the year and see if dynamic pricing and route restriction and / or Executive club level restrictions work?

The other reason I suggest it is that it would drive loyalty still and could be touted as a genuine enhancement for higher tier members? Perhaps increase qualification flights from 4 to 6 or 8 for Gold and maybe tier point number but this is a sweetener for those who complain about not getting availability.

Anyway just a thought and wanted to offer something more contrary to the doom and gloom!
Would be a strange move in my view - alienate the large number of relatively infrequent avios collectors to keep the loyal customers happy...who would probably choose BA anyway...

Although nothing would surprise me with BA

Add me to the list of those who would dump the BA Amex and choose to fly with others if this were to happen...would be the end of the miles game for me
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Although this is really annoying, I’d wait and see what tomorrow brings before panicking. Maybe they’ll actually tell us what’s going on tomorrow.
When it turns out the guy responsible for updating F reward space everywhere but the Caribbean was on holiday... Here's hoping.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Richardc77
Has there been any feedback from a staffer on this?
Doubt they know - tbh “If”and “if” any of this translates into new policy, it’s probably been already done on the back of the proverbial fag packet

Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I am speaking with the head of Flying Club tomorrow so will ask him :-)
Pandra, PJSMITH0, QPRfan and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
I've been looking for some JFK flights for Jan '19 and notice that out of all the options, most days only have 2 x 747 rotations, the others being 777s.

Is that a normal down gauge I haven't noticed before or is it a sign of a more extensive reshuffling of capacity/fleet and BA haven't finalised F capacity and availability yet?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Has anyone tried to use a Gold Priority Reward for seats in F in 2019 for routes with no availability?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PrimaVista
I've been looking for some JFK flights for Jan '19 and notice that out of all the options, most days only have 2 x 747 rotations, the others being 777s.

Is that a normal down gauge I haven't noticed before or is it a sign of a more extensive reshuffling of capacity/fleet and BA haven't finalised F capacity and availability yet?
Dec ‘18 is mostly scheduled as 777s at the moment too, I wouldn’t read too much into this. Plus the 747 and (most) 777 are both 14F anyway.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
BA Redemption finder is showing "price unknown" for all dates in 2019. I'm not familiar with the tool, so I can't speculate about what it may mean.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Originally Posted by ringingup
BA Redemption finder is showing "price unknown" for all dates in 2019. I'm not familiar with the tool, so I can't speculate about what it may mean.
just means that BA haven’t released their peak/off-peak calendar for 2019 yet.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Lewis King
just means that BA haven’t released their peak/off-peak calendar for 2019 yet.
OnBusiness redemptions are still available in F for 2019 .....

For Tuesday 12th February from LHR to JFK for example: 7F available on the 8.25, 9.40, 11.20,13.05, 14.00, 16.25, 18.00 and 19.50 ....
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
OMG, an imminent devaluation that's going to be a thousand times worse than every other imminent devaluation in frequent flyer history!
And your point is? Should we just sit here and say nothing? Enjoy it every time it happens? Hmm? Not let the company know how it's customers feel? Be nice if airlines could produce products and services that customers actually want, rather than be forced to take. But then it sounds like you don't care either way, so why do you bother to post anything here?
ttama likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.