FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Did BA pull all 2019 F Avios Availability?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:41 am
david55

Originally Posted by lostflyer
Aside from first post and unhelpful speculation not adding much I would not necessarily rush to be so concerned about this change. One thing that does strike me is that it probably is a precursor to dynamic pricing and would be an interesting way for BA to dip their toe into the water on this?

I am wondering if there is some way they may want to distinguish premium routes with standard routes - and the premium routes are the ones where dynamic pricing will play a part? Perhaps linked to status? After all Golds and above are likely to have more Avios than lower tier members, so perhaps they might suggest 9 to 12 months out availability for First Redemptions is restricted to Gold and above? This is then tied to dynamic pricing in the sense that perhaps you are willing to pay more to get the seat in advance, reduces avois liabilities and gives BA a good way to get to the end of the year and see if dynamic pricing and route restriction and / or Executive club level restrictions work?

The other reason I suggest it is that it would drive loyalty still and could be touted as a genuine enhancement for higher tier members? Perhaps increase qualification flights from 4 to 6 or 8 for Gold and maybe tier point number but this is a sweetener for those who complain about not getting availability.

Anyway just a thought and wanted to offer something more contrary to the doom and gloom!
I will probably get flamed for this.....but we are very infrequent fliers who have been saving miles for several years now to fly F on BA to Europe. The miles we collect ( AS and AA) have been losing partners to the point where BA is just about the only airline we can redeem to our final destination. (Athens)

So if your hypothesis is true we, the casual flier who will only take up a precious seat on one flight perhaps in our lifetime, are screwed.