Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways falls from #1 in consumers favourite brands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways falls from #1 in consumers favourite brands

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Despite all the protestations I think BA is just about in the right place. Being in Dubai I fly EK all the time. When given the choice between EK and BA I fly BA because they are just good enough not to be terrible and generally much cheaper than EK. I just want to get where I am going with adequate service. Why should I give EK another 30% more in Y for a bit better IFE and better food.
What I read in the bold, contrary to WorldLux's post, is as below:
1, BA's product is so bad that they have to lower their price to lure flyers like you who wants to pay less;
2, EK's product is so good that they command the market by raising the fares and enjoy a better margin than BA.

Not very promising trend...
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Genius1
I completely agree with this. Complimentary still mineral water, tea and coffee plus a time and length of flight appropriate complimentary ambient snack would go a long way.
This is what I have argued since day one BA introduced BOB. I am glad someone think alike.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Sealink

I totally get that. The PR surrounding BOB was so clearly fake, as if customers asked to pay for on board service was annoying,to say the least.

I Have mentioned before, imagine BA said “Listen, we are losing out to Ryanair and easyJet, we have to accept that hundreds of thousands of pax will go to Stansted for a cheaper fare, so this is how we will stay competitive” I probably would have accepted that. But their PR is appalling.
I actually wrote a long article on this for HFP this weekend - it was half of the piece on the new A321 seats - but pulled it at the last minute. Basically they treat people like Simon Calder, Tom Otley, me (!) as idiots and serve up the most pathetic press releases, eg failing to mention the new 10-abreast seating in the release last week on the new Gatwick IFE in WT. Or taking us all out for a nice flight and telling us Do&Co is going to cater the whole network. I could go on. It doesn't work. 'Even' The Sun has been on the mark with its recent BA coverage and doesn't buy into BA press machine.

The thing is .... some stuff is OK. From what I see on here and in my email box, the new LGW CW seat is going down well - but this wasn't in the press release either. Perhaps if we'd all gone to see the new 777 and been told, yes, the seats are narrower but everyone is doing it, we held off as long as we could, we have put in big new TV screens and improved the food and we still think we are classier than Norwegian then they would get the sort of coverage they want.

Instead it is like watching a bad kids magician. 'Look over here, over here, there is nothing over there, nothing to see, nothing to see'.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Airprox
You do know it's a reference to her song right...?
No I didn't, which is exactly the point...
It still is a display of poor judgement and bad taste, as many won't have heard the song or yet know who the female is.
Dave_C, icebird and T8191 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Prospero
I reckon the introduction of BOB was a influential factor in the rankings - in my view, the complete removal of rudimentary on-board hospitality killed the "feel good" effect, and consumers are responding accordingly
Anybody with an ounce of common sense could see that BoB on BA was not going to be popular with customers. Even after several months of poor implementation, BA management could have knocked it on the head, but instead chose to continue, therefore subjecting more and more (potentially once a year holidaymakers) to the new dismal hospitality that Euro Traveller has to offer. Will they be booking BA next year?

If anyone at Waterside is surprised by this latest indication of the BA brand perception, they really aren't worth the wage that they're paid.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Petrus
It still is a display of poor judgement and bad taste, as many won't have heard the song or yet know who the female is.
I had to Google who she was and then went to youtube to listen to the song. Pretty sure I've never heard it before, and I'm in the demographic that likely would have. Of course, not living in the UK probably has a lot to do with not hearing her. We do get a surprising amount of UK artists on the radio here, but I had not heard her before.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I had to Google who she was and then went to youtube to listen to the song. Pretty sure I've never heard it before, and I'm in the demographic that likely would have. Of course, not living in the UK probably has a lot to do with not hearing her. We do get a surprising amount of UK artists on the radio here, but I had not heard her before.
But I guess you are familiar with Clean Bandit? They bring in diifferent soloists for their tracks, and Ms. Glynne is the most well known. [And I'm most definitely not in the "right" demographic! If you're over 40 years old I can see little of this is going to work out.....]
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
But I guess you are familiar with Clean Bandit? They bring in diifferent soloists for their tracks, and Ms. Glynne is the most well known. [And I'm most definitely not in the "right" demographic! If you're over 40 years old I can see little of this is going to work out.....]
I've lived in the UK continuously for over 40 years, and I'm still asking "Who's that?" about some people in the video. Yesterday, nobody I asked knew Jess' surname - although the connection to her song was explained to me.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: BAEC
What’s the overall importantance and/or impact of this result? Will questions be asked internally or will it be swept aside?

I’m just wondering if a crisis meeting or any meeting would be held to discuss why we (BA) are not number 1 anymore? We can all speculate and articulate our own reasons of course.

Surely Walsh would have picked up the phone and asked the question to Cruz? I’d be interested to hear if anyone knows what goes on in reaction to this.

If the papers get hold of it BA could get another bashing, well mostly from the Mail of course!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I've lived in the UK continuously for over 40 years, and I'm still asking "Who's that?" about some people in the video. Yesterday, nobody I asked knew Jess' surname - although the connection to her song was explained to me.
Yeah, she was the one that, when I'd see the video, I'd say I must look on Flyertalk to see who she is.

The name means nothing to me but looking on YouTube I have heard some of her songs.

It's amazing how many records she's sold and I don't know who she is.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
If the papers get hold of it BA could get another bashing, well mostly from the Mail of course!
A raw Google search reveals it's already in The Metro, The Mirror, The Independent etc amongst others.

Lego voted UK's strongest brand as British Airways falls from top 20 | Metro News
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
But I guess you are familiar with Clean Bandit?
Yes, although "Rather Be" is the only song to be big in Canada. Of course it is her featured on the song, but not appearing in the video I don't think? I didn't recognize the voice outside of that song anyway.

Mind you the radio I listen to is leaning more to toward Nothing But Thieves or Royal Blood - or classical depending on my mood!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
When BoB was launched, someone on here posted words to the effect that BA/M&S was the perfect partnership - two brands that don't know what they are anymore. Like many good tongue-in-cheek comments, it made a good point to me.

My opinion, that taking a brand in two diametrically opposite directions at the same time is a near-impossible task, has not changed, and this is just an example of the outcome. One can question the validity of any survey, but as recently as Nov 2017 BA was trumpeting its recent success in this one, so one can assume the company considers it valid...

As Raffles points out above, you can't fool all of the people all of the time. BA has lost control of the public narrative, and it takes actions matching the words, rather than just empty words, to regain that.
Knickam likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
The cognitive dissonance the BA board are experiencing now must be incredible.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Petrus
I didn't know the woman (I had to google her) and I didn't know the song title or its singer (but I heard the song multiple times on the radio), however, aside for the "babe" part, I didn't think it was a bad taste joke. To me the director's tone was a hint to something public related to the woman. It's the Thandie scene that's really, really poor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.