Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways falls from #1 in consumers favourite brands

British Airways falls from #1 in consumers favourite brands

Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mjh0
"Depriving Brits of free cups of tea equates to brand suicide." Discuss.
Strangely enough it also coincides with Lego reporting a large drop in sales and profits.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Sealink
He’s hardly being lecherous. God. This forum.

PS Notice all the BA haters seem to be, er, BA Gold. That will definitely show BA they’re on the wrong track.
I don't hate BA, I just don't tend to use their product where there is far better alternatives available. As I travel lot on AA domestic, BAEC status is really useful to me. I tend to just take 4 BA short haul positioning flights per year in Europe to connect onto QR's fantastic longhaul J product.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:23 pm

I didn’t need such detail and this isn’t an inquisition. I was genuinely curious and am enjoying the conversation. I’m sorry that I annoyed you.
You did not annoy me - not in the slightest. You just questioned my validity to share my comments to post on FT in this particular thread, to which I gave you the relevant credentials

Anyway....back on topic....
Sealink likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
You did not annoy me - not in the slightest. You just questioned my validity to share my comments to post on FT in this particular thread, to which I gave you the relevant credentials

Anyway....back on topic....

I’m happy to read this. It’s all too easy for me to be a keyboard warrior. And I’m not like that at all.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Despite all the protestations I think BA is just about in the right place. Being in Dubai I fly EK all the time. When given the choice between EK and BA I fly BA because they are just good enough not to be terrible and generally much cheaper than EK. I just want to get where I am going with adequate service. Why should I give EK another 30% more in Y for a bit better IFE and better food.

I admit that if EK were the same price as BA I'd probably switch but EK, like BA a few years ago, think that a premium Y product will get more punters. You could argue they get a lot more punters but it's hardly a level playing field.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Despite all the protestations I think BA is just about in the right place. Being in Dubai I fly EK all the time. When given the choice between EK and BA I fly BA because they are just good enough not to be terrible and generally much cheaper than EK. I just want to get where I am going with adequate service. Why should I give EK another 30% more in Y for a bit better IFE and better food.
I think that the bold parts of your comment pretty much sums up why BA anywhere close to the top brands among UK consumers. For them, BA is generally the more expensive option. Dropping out of the top 20 after being numero uno for 4 consecutive years is, to quote Blackadder, "a twelve-storey crisis with a magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24-hour portage, and an enormous sign on the roof, saying 'This Is a Large Crisis'."

FWIW I see no advantage for an average consumer to fly BA rather than U2 on routes both operate. Both fly the same type of aircraft. They have virtually the same hard product, and they sell you food on board.
T8191, wrp96, mjh0 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:44 pm

Yet my EK first experience wasn’t great. Showering at 36000ft was amazing, but the food was inedible, aside from starters.

Last edited by Sealink; Mar 12, 2018 at 1:58 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
2000 people is fare from the entire public. Do these people own apple products because there customer service is far below acceptable. we have a national obesity problem yet these 2000 people rate Coca Cola? Not defending BA just questioning the reliability of the survey
In imo, no one wa questioning the survey when they ranked ba within the top 20!!
Ba has been going down pretty fast which is sad !!
It is a solid brand , it is about time they picked up their pants !!
The board needs to first pay 2-3 quid & then smell their coffee & wake up
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
2000 people is fare from the entire public. Do these people own apple products because there customer service is far below acceptable. we have a national obesity problem yet these 2000 people rate Coca Cola? Not defending BA just questioning the reliability of the survey
I'm sure that when BA was #1 it was deemed reliable enough.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by chongcao
very luxury in front
But they're nowhere near very luxury in front. In fact, they're nowhere near luxury.
rossmacd, T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:06 pm

Absolutely, AA are excellent. My personal favourite is VS but their fares are generally extortionate. Maybe I can’t afford the service I want!
I found - at least from Ireland - VS Upper Class to be a bit cheaper than CW 9 out of 10 times, sometimes *a lot* cheaper. But it probably depends on your destinations, timing etc.

The sad thing is that BA was the first airline I flew as a child, and from that point onward, it was what I considered the gold standard for airlines for many years. I would say that my perception has been on a near continuous slide over the last 5 years.
Sealink and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Is there anyone in a senior and influential position in BA who actually understands how to build and maintain a great brand? Would a really experienced great brand builder even work there?
James Hillier?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I reckon the introduction of BOB was a influential factor in the rankings - in my view, the complete removal of rudimentary on-board hospitality killed the "feel good" effect, and consumers are responding accordingly
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Prospero
I reckon the introduction of BOB was a influential factor in the rankings - in my view, the complete removal of rudimentary on-board hospitality killed the "feel good" effect, and consumers are responding accordingly
I completely agree with this. Complimentary still mineral water, tea and coffee plus a time and length of flight appropriate complimentary ambient snack would go a long way.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
I totally get that. The PR surrounding BOB was so clearly fake, as if customers asked to pay for their on board service! The communication was annoying, to say the least.

I have mentioned before, imagine BA said “Listen, we are losing out to Ryanair and easyJet, we have to accept that hundreds of thousands of pax will go to Stansted for a cheaper fare, so this is how we will stay competitive” I probably would have accepted that. But their PR is appalling.
gypsyjaney likes this.

Last edited by Sealink; Mar 15, 2018 at 6:07 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.