Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways falls from #1 in consumers favourite brands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways falls from #1 in consumers favourite brands

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:50 am

I guess it's cheaper having a few people smiling, rather than having people who are ticket trained to be able to actually get you where you need to go when things go wrong.
Crampedin13A and simonrp84 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It appeared after the introduction of the self service checked luggage machines. Some of the staff were then redeployed as greeters, Asda style, but they typically don't do many greetings, unless there is eye contact. On the other hand I can see they are very useful for those visiting T5 for the first time and don't know where to go, plus those who need mobility assistance.
I liked it. As you said CWS if you look at them they say hi, otherwise they don't interrupt. The best way to approach it in my opinion, before the first time you spoke to staff was usually at the automatic check in counter. This customer service approach it barely uses any resources given that there are so many passengers visiting T5 everyday, there seems to be one staff member per entrance to T5, of which there are what, 4?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by chongcao
I actually think a hybrid version: very luxury in front, and very budget in the back with a middle point in between, will work in the long term.
Very luxury in front and very budget at the back isn't a great idea. Remember that you have customers moving between cabins as they travel (mixing J and Y trips) and some other that pay massive sums for Y tickets. Having a very budget experience when in Y can lower their perception of the BA brand. Price sensitive customers looking for dirt cheap fares, will always look for the least expensive option and most of the time it will be an LCC as the service is the same.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Think I'll be allocating some of my budget on more lego items, I mean who doesn't want a massive £650 Millennium Falcon?

Sure, it's only the brand at the moment but surly, at some point profits tank too.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:17 am

As long as Walsh is in post at IAG and profits are maintained, investment in both the hard and soft product will continue to suffer. The person who succeeds Walsh will have their work cut out to rebuild the BA brand (Cruz will probably go when Walsh departs).
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by PAL62V
As I sit here on the Bronze line, making yet another inquiry as to where my refund is, and yet again I am on a call to an Indian call centre where there is definitely an issue with being understood and a lack of any ability on their part to divert from the script, I fully understand why this fall from grace has happened.
Possibly...but I really dont think thats the reason. I'm guessing 75% of the customers wouldn't need to deal with expense/delay claims etc.

What the majority of customers see is having to pay £2.30 for a twinings tea bag... ££ to reserve seats etc.

To me BA feels a bit like Tesco - its not cheap in the league of Aldi/Lidl nor is it premium like Waitrose. Its in the middle where one shouldnt be
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:27 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BA6948
Well QR, EK, SV, RJ, AY and many others can have very J cheap fares. The problem is that BA wants to be everything at the same time: low cost in Y and quality airline in premium cabins. But some of its passengers move between cabins and the experience is appalling in Y. In premium classes it is average when compared to other airlines. Cruz claiming BA is a premium airline doesn't cut it.

Traveled last week to Lisbon with Joon (Air France new budget airline). We had to stay on the ground at CDG for 45 for teh fog to clear up at LIS. During the 45 minutes wait, cabin crew came with mineral water and served all passengers. After take off, CC came around the cabin offering free coffee, tea, water and juice to all pax. They also had BoB items in their trolleys. At no point, were they waiving the BoB menu and asking passengers if they wanted something from the menu. They just proactively offered the free drinks. If you asked for a coffee, they would also ask you if you wanted water. I found that so nice that I asked for muesli bar and a smoothy from the menu. The flight attendant charged me only for the smoothy (not sure if it was because I am Platinum or just a goodwill gesture). But it was a nice experience. And I realized that event though it was BoB, there was a lot of interactions with the crews and you felt, ok they give free drinks so I might as well buy something to go with it.

A colleague of mine traveled from LHR to LIS on the same morning. He stayed 50 minutes on the tarmac. He wasn't even offered water from the tank. Asked if bought from the BoB. He said, no, BA is so mean!
You're preaching to the choir, I think BA J is an appalling product. I've only had good experiences in F with them so far and will continue to use F with them until I see otherwise. If it comes to having to book in Business I actively avoid them =]
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Being fresh [relatively] from a recent J round-trip LGW-KIN, I have to say it was "OK" ... but despite being on the refurbished G-VIIX, the seat was as uncomfortable and inconvenient as ever. We derived no real pleasure from the journey at all, despite edible food and good CC both ways.

Roll on June, when we're back on AA for TATL and Trans-Con.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Calum
Think I'll be allocating some of my budget on more lego items, I mean who doesn't want a massive £650 Millennium Falcon?

Sure, it's only the brand at the moment but surly, at some point profits tank too.
OT: Considering where Lego was ~15 years ago and how the toy market has evolved, I'd say that they must be doing quite a few things right. Lego stores popping up everywhere, kids and adults buying the stuff, etc. Compare that to the many toy shops that closed down over the years due to increased competition from tablets and online retailers.

Originally Posted by Severn40
The person who succeeds Walsh will have their work cut out to rebuild the BA brand (Cruz will probably go when Walsh departs).
British Vueling ?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by kosy91
Possibly...but I really dont think thats the reason. I'm guessing 75% of the customers wouldn't need to deal with expense/delay claims etc.<br /><br />What the majority of customers see is having to pay £2.30 for a twinings tea bag... ££ to reserve seats etc.<br /><br />To me BA feels a bit like Tesco - its not cheap in the league of Aldi/Lidl nor is it premium like Waitrose. Its in the middle where one shouldnt be
<br /><br />The middle is not generally bad if you know how to position it, take Amazon as a pretty standard middle of the road brand that is killing it because people believe them to be cheap, useful and OK in terms of quality and service. There is nothing wrong with providing a useful service at a reasonable cost with reasonable quality.<br /><br />Both BA and Tesco's problem is that customers perceive them to be not especially cheap and yet don't get any sense of getting a much better service than with the genuinely cheap options. BA's pursuit of maximizing profit in combination with the perception that customers only care about price was always going to damage the reputation over time. And I think that's the real problem here, it's finance industry-driven 'short-term'-ism. They squeezed record money out of the company feeding off a pool of customer trust and willingness to give them the benefit of the doubt..while poking holes into that pool to expedite the drainage.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by T8191
Being fresh [relatively] from a recent J round-trip LGW-KIN, I have to say it was "OK" ... but despite being on the refurbished G-VIIX, the seat was as uncomfortable and inconvenient as ever. We derived no real pleasure from the journey at all, despite edible food and good CC both ways.

Roll on June, when we're back on AA for TATL and Trans-Con.
Having just completed HKG/PEK - LHR in F and CW I happily booked CX for next months trip in J. Much superior product all round, for me anyway.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by kosy91

To me BA feels a bit like Tesco - its not cheap in the league of Aldi/Lidl nor is it premium like Waitrose. Its in the middle where one shouldnt be
Exactly. BA management think they're Google or similar, widely trusted by consumers and pioneering a new market where everyone else will follow when in reality they're at risk of turning into Tesco a few years ago or M&S on the clothing side, totally confused about what they stand for and which customers they want to target. I was genuinely surprised last year when BA retained the number 1 position, but I suppose it's based on massively delayed survey data so the real impact of recent changes hadn't been seen in the survey data at that point.
Silver Fox and GaxxyFlyer like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
This was only a matter of time, surprised this did not happen sooner?
Originally Posted by stevie
Having just completed HKG/PEK - LHR in F and CW I happily booked CX for next months trip in J. Much superior product all round, for me anyway.
I have to agree, even thou the crew at CX are supposedly unhappy they still blow BA out the water service wise imo - not to mention the wayy better cabin.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:34 am

The safety video will make sure everyone loves the brand.
Especially the "don't be so HARD on yourself" bit. So fitting in this #metoo environment. Surprised no one has picked up on this and started a social media rage storm against the brand.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Exactly. BA management think they're Google or similar, widely trusted by consumers and pioneering a new market where everyone else will follow when in reality they're at risk of turning into Tesco a few years ago or M&S on the clothing side, totally confused about what they stand for and which customers they want to target. I was genuinely surprised last year when BA retained the number 1 position, but I suppose it's based on massively delayed survey data so the real impact of recent changes hadn't been seen in the survey data at that point.
BA is also taking a hit on passenger reviews sites such airlinequality.com. They have a bad score of 5/10 and based on recent review, it is only a matter of time they drop to 4/10. All their main competitors in Europe are 6/10 or more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.