Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA A350-1000 training flights meet-ups thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: george77300
NEW NOVEMBER TRAINING FLIGHTS
26 Nov (Tues) to 29 Nov (Fri) on BA456/457 and BA464/465 (Total 16 Flights)
Ding Ding, The next A350 training flight with FTers in NOV. will be:
26 Nov:
457: george77300
———————————————————————————————————
The Oct. A350 familiarisation/training flights dates to MAD (Madrid, Spain) from London Heathrow (LHR) are below; The Aug. training flights are now complete and the calendar for dates the A350 flew in Aug. is in the First post below as an archive.

Oct. 2019 A350 Schedule: (first published 20/08/2019) AT RISK OF CANCELLATION! BOOK WITH AVIOS ONLY AT THIS STAGE IF YOU ARE ONLY FLYING TO TRY OUT THE A350.

Ding Ding, The next A350 training flight with FTers in Oct. will be:

2 Oct:

465: courtster, george77300

5 Oct.
456: plunet +1, Thomas PL +1
464: MrMutton, WoodleyBeacon
465: MrMutton, WoodleyBeacon

6 Oct:

464: Pack
465: Pack, plunet +1

7 Oct:

457: davm666

NO A350 TRAINING FLIGHTS AFTER OCTOBER 7TH. (7TH IS THE LAST DAY!)

If you wish to join in, please post your name directly into the wiki or in the thread and someone will add you. Format for new days or flights:

There is quite a bit of information in post 1 where a FAQ has been written to answer most questions you may have, please read that first! If you notice something missing or an error, please post and this will be added or corrected.

Updated to Post #1394
Print Wikipost

BA A350-1000 training flights meet-ups thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:51 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Well back in the Sofitel now, had a great day and return flight on the new A350.

Crew were wonderful, I do wonder if those returning from MAD get a better service as most of the crew do their first leg out to MAD and then will be better on the return (if there were any issues)...I think they have adapted to the delays mentioned as they told me they are now having 7 crew deal with the CW cabins and only 5 to deal with the WT cabins so they can be better in the club section. ^

I had the aft cabin to myself and was very smug I must say They DKWIA...

I was served my food and drink before I was even really ready! I spent quite a bit of time talking and check out the cabin and features so can't say when the food and drink came but definitely not an hour so hope this is improving for the remaining flights as well. Forward cabin in club was quite full, didn't venture into it.

I'm a fan of 16A or K, not a fan of 15 A K as the foot area seems somewhat limited if I'm honest compared to the other seats. Pics to come in the seat thread.

I also have a few pics of the bassinet (apparently the same as the old ones just the fastening method is different. (only the straps to secure it are under the flaps that we see in 1K and 15 AK, the bassinet itself is the same as it was previously I am told.

The bassinets in WT+ and further back are new and none were on board I am told...they push in to the special fixings (the metal round holes in the bulkhead).

The plane is very quiet, one could be forgiven for thinking it is electric (almost, not quite) when taxiing, even when taking off and in the air it is very quiet compared to the older aircraft...not so sure compared to the A380....that may be quieter still. (depending on where one sits).

As it was a night flight and quite dark, and I was alone in the cabin, I did note that the light pollution can be quite strong if someone has the 'home screen' on in front of you. I took some pictures and will post those later.

Talking to the crew, they let me look around WT+ although this is where the crew do paperwork and rest a bit, and a few points I haven't seen mentioned yet: the table in the armrest is now higher than previously so won't interfere with your legs or touch them when eating. I also sat in the front row of WT+ and it is indeed reduced leg room compared to the A380, it is quite a bit of room but I can touch my legs on the bulkhead without them being stretched so if you want to have them straight you probably want row 2 or further back. (I'm 6'1").

My feeling of being more cocooned in the CW suite is reinforced, it is more sculpted around you than the old CW seat which takes some getting used to, initially it felt too tight but after an hour you start to like it more. YMMV.

Big jackets won't be allowed to hang on the seat dividers, as they stop the emergency exit out of the suite, so only suit jackets and thin jackets will be allowed to hang in your suite. There was room to hang the jackets in the storage lockers at row 15 (side of the middle aisle seats) and in the locker on the right hand side of the club kitchen area (upper section has a rail to hang things, the lower section is for emergency kit).

A last point, small but shows some real thought went into the seat design, as the side storage areas of the seat need a button pressed to open them and even with the table in any position and food on the table you can still access that and open the storage area to get the TV controller for example.

Enjoy your flights everyone, looking forward to trying the plane on a long haul route.
opus99 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by jay_cee87
She’s on the move now, I’m at LHR and can see her. No idea why the delay though sorry.
I've had a quick scan and can't see a reply to this.

I was on the 464 on Thursday and had an hour+ delay departing. The reason given from the flight deck was that the loading of the cargo was slower than it should have been because of a shortage of ground staff trained/qualified to load the A350! The announcement was made around the scheduled departure time and the captain (one of four pilots on the flight) said that there were 5 or 6 more containers to be loaded, but this seemed to take about 30 minutes.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Wow. So many reviews of the new club suite which is nice to see. So if you’ve tried the seat could you please reply this and rate it out of 10! (Would be really appreciated).
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Also! For those who have flown the seat. How would you rank it with other business class seats in Europe.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
We were delayed today as well. They said it was due to the cargo loading.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Are you in the CCR tomorrow? I’m heading to HKG if you’re about ^

Yes I am!! - how lovely if we co-inside!! - i’ll DM you!
Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by gorps1
Service was also poor on BA465 earlier this week with service not commencing until 1 hour after wheels up. I spoke with the CSM who explained that a new service SOP was being used for training flights whereby the first drink would be served together with the meal. There was a problem with the oven which meant that service was delayed. I enquired why a new service SOP had been introduced and couldn’t the service SOP used for the 777 to Madrid continue to be used but I was informed that Product HQ had said this couldn’t be done. Service was rushed when it eventually began and FA’s from the back of the aircraft had to help to clear the Club cabin in preparation for landing.
hmmm. Same from AGP on an A320 last week. Food and drink all in same trolly. No pre-dinner drink but they were very generous with dishing out double helpings when we were eventually served Well over 1 hour into the flight. We were in row 11. Noticed the cheese plate has also been significantly downgraded. Not complaining as was an opup but just an observation. Cod was over salted and virtually inedible. No choice at the back!

Old Aug 17, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Are you in the CCR tomorrow? I’m heading to HKG if you’re about ^

Hello Tobias,
I'll be there today from 2pm onwards - let's meet up :-)
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Can anybody remind me what the A350 WiFi costs are please can’t seem to find it.
This is off the top of my head (so could be wrong). I’m sure it’s in the thread somewhere. Also first aircraft with data limits rather than a Messaging and Streaming plan of two different speeds due to aircraft WiFi limitations.

25MB - £4.99
75MB - £11.99
150MB - £17.99

(I hope that’s right or I’ll soon be corrected. )

EDIT: I’ll be in Club on BA464 today. So here’s to hoping she doesn’t break this morning.
alex67500 likes this.

Last edited by george77300; Aug 17, 2019 at 2:18 am
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CaroFos

hmmm. Same from AGP on an A320 last week. Food and drink all in same trolly. No pre-dinner drink but they were very generous with dishing out double helpings when we were eventually served Well over 1 hour into the flight. We were in row 11. Noticed the cheese plate has also been significantly downgraded. Not complaining as was an opup but just an observation. Cod was over salted and virtually inedible. No choice at the back!

Had the same tray back from PMO this week, cod was amazing and we had the pre-dinner drinks trolley too (I actually got a refill too on their way back to the galley from row 8, I was in row 1). EF crew did a great job, my glass never got half empty!!
CaroFos likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by george77300

Normally yes. But based on my Club Suites flight, and others, it’s one main service with food + drink. Treated differently to the 777 flight for some reason as mentioned above. Maybe to practice the CW service? I agree with others above, was very slow service and started from front and back so Row 5/6 was last to be served both food and drinks on my flight.
Agree, service was very slow. I was in 4A on 465 on Thursday and they forgot to offer me anything. The whole service felt chaotic, everyone running around looking confused..
CaroFos likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BotB
I had the aft cabin to myself and was very smug I must say They DKWIA...
I was in the same seat as you in 16A, though you did slightly better than me, there were 2 other passengers in my mini cabin, an FTer and their partner. But I've moved my longhaul bookings from 1A to 16A since it's a very nice seat, with good windows, quiet and private. I wasn't aware of any delay with my CE meal (though they seem to have lost one of the hot options) so I think I was served at the same time as the front of the main CW cabin. This is exactly the sort of thing that may get changed as a result of these Madrid runs, which with a busy Club cabin and fairly favourable weather must be quite a trial for the cabin crew.

Overall it is a quiet aircraft but there is a short term whoosh in the 10 seconds before takeoff, lasting for about a minute. The aircraft must have been very light, but it didn't seem to use much the runway before airborne.
BotB likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Was in 10A on this morning's early 456 rotation.

A few niggly things, the seatbelts being new made the shoulder strap quite fiddly to unclip after takeoff. Having a huge footwell but not being able to store the White Company bedding pack or pillow there also seems a bit over fussy. And having to keep the cover up whilst charging anything using the plug/usb means you lose a fair bit of surface area storage inflight.

CSM came around before takeoff for a chat, then after takeoff to apologise if the service was a little slow as crew were still getting used to it. Poor Paige seemed to be doing a lot of walking to serve everyone individually from the galley but made a good go of it

Otherwise seat area seemed more spacious, even though you lose the space around your legs. Seatback felt as though it needed to be a few inches higher when sat in the upright position.

A350 is certainly the nicest aircraft in the sky at the moment, IMHO.
bermudasun likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:43 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
wiki up to date to this post, graphics amended and added as appropriate. ^ (any corrections/additions/deletions please PM me or post in the thread and I'll sort it out! Thanks).

Calendar also updated to reflect flights the A350 has flown.

If anyone would like to have a copy of the graphic for their flight you can find (it/them) at this website:

https://imageshack.com/user/BotBFT

When you find your flight, and click on that image (you'll see it become the foreground with a black background, click on that image again and then you will see an inbox icon to the lower right of the webpage and you can download it using that. Hope that is useful for anyone that did want a copy. This applies for flights in the past as well, they are still there.

Anyone else care to join in the MADness? Only 11 days (after the PARTY PLANES tonight!) left to get on one...C'mon you know you want to...

Safe travels everyone. ^
81romeo likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:45 am

In the CCR
CaroFos and SleepySynapse like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.