Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL enhancements

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Of course, any "for Life" guarantee is predicated on the good character of the provider and I certainly would not class BA as an "honourable" company...
Markie and simonrp84 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Fitch
Of course, any "for Life" guarantee is predicated on the good character of the provider and I certainly would not class BA as an "honourable" company...
And of course it's the "life" of the programme not the member. It's far from unimaginable or indeed unprecedented that the programme is effectively discontinued by recurring significant changes, usually to the detriment of the members.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)
Originally Posted by Dave_C
So clearly very few know the details of what changes will be announced, but I’m curious as to what BA believe they want to achieve with these rumoured changes.

My guess is that number one on the list will be a reduction in costs. Seemingly everything in the airline is geared around that, so the Executive Club should be no exception.

That would seem to imply either a reduction in benefits, or a reduction in the number of people that get those benefits.

Rather than fiddle with the tiers, from a perception point of view, would it not be better to change the number of tier points earned, and make them more closely aligned to the fare class? I certainly remember when Club World segments earned 120 and not 140 tier points and was somewhat surprised about the increase.

I also remember when Silver was 700 to obtain and 500 to retain, with Gold at 1500 / 1200 (iirc). Tweaking the tier points earned would be a less headline grabbing way of achieving the same result.

As someone who on April 8th should requalify for my sixth year of GGL at just over 3,000 tier points, I agree with the broad sentiment, that 5,000 is too many for me to get to. We’re only mid-March and I’m now at around 52K status miles with M&M and fully expect to be SEN by the end of the year.

Being Gold for Life, I would be exceptionally disappointed if BA decided to withdraw that benefit. One hopes that if they did decide to make changes there, they would either raise the level, or close it entirely, but not then withdraw it from those that have obtained it. However, given what BA have been doing recently, could certainly see them decide to say “screw you”.

So lots of speculation, not much fact, curious to see what actually happens.

Interestingly all three of my last flights have had the CSD - on the advice of the iPad - come and have a chat with me, much more than just a welcome, asking did I realise how many lifetime tier points I had and how close I am to GFL. I was surprised by the first and now somewhat amused by the third.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
I don't understand why they would change it.

The Concorde room isn't that special really, Cathay first lounge is much nicer and any emerald can visit. The food and champagne costs for Concorde room I would assume still more than pay for the additional spend those who reach 5,000TPs will spend.

yes you can earn it with Qatar airways quite easily but you have to fly BA to get the benefits for Concorde room or GGL.

After the flying I have to do to reach 3-5k TPs I'm sick of the Concorde room menu and drinking alcohol everytime I fly. I would be an alcoholic if I was to get my money's worth! i also know that many GGLs struggle to use their jokers/vouchers in time because they fly so much

i know very little has been released about it so far but I know any changes would mean that I would severely reduce my spend on oneworld airlines and Ba in general if I thought these benefits would become unnattainable
SuperstarDJ likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by ianfly
Cost. Servicing GGL members costs money. Jokers cost money. Giving free changes on bookings doesn't bring in money in service fees.
Markie likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Cost. Servicing GGL members costs money. Jokers cost money. Giving free changes on bookings doesn't bring in money in service fees.
I'm sure that can't be a massive cost.
I've personally used a joker once and a couple of GUFs.
​​​​​​In order to do so, I end up flying BA and therefore spending my money with them. Remove those benefits and I for one don't have any real reason to remain loyal beyond maybe 1500TP.

As others have said, most GGL members aren't doing TP runs to gain their status so they must be spending far more than the average joe, whether company spend or out of their pocket.
Surely losing them isn't good business, but BA seem hell bent on removing as many premium things as possible and replacing them with cheap economy options that surely can't be cost effective
?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Well if BA were not thinking about GGL changes, this thread sure as hell has given them the ideas for a change!

aks120
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by aks120
Well if BA were not thinking about GGL changes, this thread sure as hell has given them the ideas for a change!

aks120
At the very least, I would say:

Change the number of flights needed for status. 4 BA metal flights to go from blue to GGL in a year isn't enough.

3000TP to requalify for GGL. Why?
No other level has a reduced number of tier points the following year so why is GGL special?
At the very least, it makes it a little more challenging and may give some to fly OW more rather than easing back.
Ties the CCR card in nicely as well.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
What happened in the past when BA changed qualification levels...Did it affect the existing years qualification, or did it start from the following TP collection year? It'd certainly seem unfair to move the goalposts mid TP collection year.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by englisha
What happened in the past when BA changed qualification levels...Did it affect the existing years qualification, or did it start from the following TP collection year? It'd certainly seem unfair to move the goalposts mid TP collection year.
We don't have the same year anyway.
Mine ends on the 8th Dec whereas others could be May 8th, so what affects me might not affect you.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xenole
We don't have the same year anyway.
Mine ends on the 8th Dec whereas others could be May 8th, so what affects me might not affect you.
I get that, but what I mean is that if they announced a change on, say 5 April 2018, it would seem fair that anyone mid TP year (ie 8 March 2018 and earlier) get to finish their year off before the changes take effect. All hypothethical of course, like most of this thread.

I remember when the changes were made to EU qualifying levels, bringing them in line with the UK, BA were quite generous in allowing requalification at the lower rates for quite some time after.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GFL
Originally Posted by ianfly

The Concorde room isn't that special really, Cathay first lounge is much nicer and any emerald can visit. The food and champagne costs for Concorde room I would assume still more than pay for the additional spend those who reach 5,000TPs will spend.

yes you can earn it with Qatar airways quite easily but you have to fly BA to get the benefits for Concorde room or GGL.

After the flying I have to do to reach 3-5k TPs I'm sick of the Concorde room menu and drinking alcohol everytime I fly. I would be an alcoholic if I was to get my money's worth! i also know that many GGLs struggle to use their jokers/vouchers in time because they fly so much

i know very little has been released about it so far but I know any changes would mean that I would severely reduce my spend on oneworld airlines and Ba in general if I thought these benefits would become unnattainable
I'm with you on this. If you fly regularly and look after your health, it's hard to drink tons of alcohol etc, so I think it's the occasional flyers who actually book F etc who make the most of it. I probably have one or 2 glasses of wine if it's lunch or later and I'm in the mood, and that's about it.

The CCR benefit is a clever one. My last 2 BA long hauls have departed from T3, and as you say if you're getting 5k TPs, it's quite possible much of that is on other oneworld airlines for many customers, so the CCR visits aren't as frequent as they could be.

I think BA may actually shoot themselves in the foot long term, with many travellers who currently make an effort to earn the 3k TPs for GGL giving it a miss. There comes a point where the additional effort as a customer just isn't worth the bother. The HNL TP crew have got to be a pretty marginal group after all?! We shall see. Maybe not after the Radio 4 programme

Best learning for me from this thread is I need to go to the Cathay F lounge in T3 rather than the BA lounge (with its shocking "First" dining)!
Markie, deboyzoned and Oaxaca like this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: BA GGLFL, EK Gold
Card renewed under 'for Life' status

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
And of course it's the "life" of the programme not the member. It's far from unimaginable or indeed unprecedented that the programme is effectively discontinued by recurring significant changes, usually to the detriment of the members.
Some of these concerns may be allayed if I tell you that I have just had an email from Mr Hillier reminding me that my 'for Life' membership is being renewed. I've checked the website and sure enough, there is a note in there saying that my renewal letter is on the way. The card I presently have expires at the end of April, membership year end was 8th March. I hope that this may reduce anxieties about BA's future plans in this regard - I have no reason to doubt their intentions to honour their commitment to the 'for Life' cards.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by SuperstarDJ
I'm with you on this. If you fly regularly and look after your health, it's hard to drink tons of alcohol etc, so I think it's the occasional flyers who actually book F etc who make the most of it. I probably have one or 2 glasses of wine if it's lunch or later and I'm in the mood, and that's about it.

The CCR benefit is a clever one. My last 2 BA long hauls have departed from T3, and as you say if you're getting 5k TPs, it's quite possible much of that is on other oneworld airlines for many customers, so the CCR visits aren't as frequent as they could be.

I think BA may actually shoot themselves in the foot long term, with many travellers who currently make an effort to earn the 3k TPs for GGL giving it a miss. There comes a point where the additional effort as a customer just isn't worth the bother. The HNL TP crew have got to be a pretty marginal group after all?! We shall see. Maybe not after the Radio 4 programme

Best learning for me from this thread is I need to go to the Cathay F lounge in T3 rather than the BA lounge (with its shocking "First" dining)!
sssshhhhhh! Don’t tell everyone!
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life, SQ PPS Club, UA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IThink
Interestingly all three of my last flights have had the CSD - on the advice of the iPad - come and have a chat with me, much more than just a welcome, asking did I realise how many lifetime tier points I had and how close I am to GFL. I was surprised by the first and now somewhat amused by the third.
I had the same experience as I closed in on GfL this year - several times a CC, without prompting, congratulated me on approaching this milestone. Nice to finally get over the finish line.

It's funny to read all of the gripes about the lounges, though - I never found them to be of much use, since I don't eat in them, nor do I ever drink before getting on a flight. I'd much rather find a quiet, empty gate in the terminal, unless the "outside" deck of the BA Gold lounge at LHR is fairly empty. The interior of that lounge is always so packed and busy it's not even worth it. And don't get me started on the unventilated individual loo cabins in the lounges - gross! Give me the normal terminal anytime.

To me, this 15-year quest for GfL is all about early boarding, no matter what kind of ticket I'm on. So even after I'm no longer flying C-class on my company's dime, I can at least board first, stow my crap and create my little psychological cocoon far from the maddening crowd.

ThatT1Feeling likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.