Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Silver status for sale on eBay?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Risky to buy as well at that price with some careful planning you could probably get silver for that amount without the risk of BA cancelling your card and leaving you with nothing.

But why pay that amount if you don't fly enough to get silver? Mind you not as daft as buying someone else luggage tags.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Some interesting BA related items on eBay at the moment. Concorde inaugural LHR-JFK flight menu for £1,000 or for £2,000 you can have the final flight menu. Some original BOAC posters for around the £400 mark or for £123 you can get a chubby model 747 handmade in mahogany!

Wonder how many takers there will be for an AF Concorde Omega chronograph: £31,000?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:31 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Not sure if selling the giftable status is within the T&C, but to give a different perspective on selling amenity kits, pyjamas, and stuff on ebay..

I think it's okay to do it. I don't because I don't fly all that much long-haul premium cabin and have a use for the stuff I get (or sometimes, I give it to friends).

It might not be mightily attractive financially (even though selling on ebay has gotten more convenient and less time-consuming over the years). But those little somethings are very valuable to some people. Some people even collect stuff like amenity kits, KLM huisjes, Lufthansa rubber ducks or even chocolates or promotional material from defunct airlines.
IMO, it's better such stuff gets in the hands of people who value it than to be thrown away. It's not just about the money, but also about the environment, about reusing stuff. I donate books I don't need anymore. I sell old smartphones on ebay. In my mind, that's preferable to have those things rotting in some drawer or shelf, only to be thrown away a few years down the line.

(But of course, I do understand that some people's time is just to valuable to sell little things on ebay.)
D1L likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Are you not supposed to leave pillows, blankets and sound cancelling headphones though? I don't know, I've never been tempted to take them.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by 1flyer
Not sure if selling the giftable status is within the T&C, but to give a different perspective on selling amenity kits, pyjamas, and stuff on ebay..

I think it's okay to do it. I don't because I don't fly all that much long-haul premium cabin and have a use for the stuff I get (or sometimes, I give it to friends).

It might not be mightily attractive financially (even though selling on ebay has gotten more convenient and less time-consuming over the years). But those little somethings are very valuable to some people. Some people even collect stuff like amenity kits, KLM huisjes, Lufthansa rubber ducks or even chocolates or promotional material from defunct airlines.
IMO, it's better such stuff gets in the hands of people who value it than to be thrown away. It's not just about the money, but also about the environment, about reusing stuff. I donate books I don't need anymore. I sell old smartphones on ebay. In my mind, that's preferable to have those things rotting in some drawer or shelf, only to be thrown away a few years down the line.

(But of course, I do understand that some people's time is just to valuable to sell little things on ebay.)
I don't think anyone is questioning selling amenity kits, or gifts you are given (such as gin houses and rubber ducks). The issue is with stealing things from the aircraft and then selling them, such as pillows etc.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by flyuk
Are you not supposed to leave pillows, blankets and sound cancelling headphones though? I don't know, I've never been tempted to take them.
Taking them from the aircraft is theft in my book.
Dave_C, Jimmie76 and David_Doyle like this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
I thought as much. Although I have an unintentionally large collection of slippers. People are obsessed with slippers here.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Cringe-worthy and beyond tacky IMHO to be selling pillows, duvets, and headphones stolen from the plane
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
As others have said. Cringeworthy in the extreme. I almost suspect he might even be an intermediary to all this, sourcing people who he’ll pay a few quid to nick a blanket or keep their amenity kits intact and then sell on at a ridiculously inflated price.

Arguably the most tragic part is every blanket he’s selling, he’s designated ‘rare’. That’s pretty much fraudulent. A CW standard blanket isn’t ‘rare’ so to speak. There are probably thousands of them if not more, it’s rare because this individual or somebody else has stolen it from where it belongs
Lucanesque and dawntreader380 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
I wonder if the seller either has contacts in the cleaner/caterer side of aircraft servicing, where items such as PJs, blankets, amenity kits, etc. are loaded/removed from aircraft. Some could conveniently fall off during transit. Items such as amenity kits used to form part of customs bonded stores, but perhaps not any more due to lack of cologne/perfume with many carriers, and/or size of product.

Was there not a pax arrested by an airline downroute (for some reason AF and MRU pop into my mind) a few years ago as he had been clocked repeatedly removing cabin items and subsequently selling items online?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I'd buy a GUF2 if there was one going
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyFlyer
Was there not a pax arrested by an airline downroute (for some reason AF and MRU pop into my mind) a few years ago as he had been clocked repeatedly removing cabin items and subsequently selling items online?
This one? Canadian guy who made €10,000 from selling stuff he'd nicked from AF, arrested in Reunion.
AndyFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:08 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Maybe one of our resident BA staff should flag this to BA's Security and/or Legal teams. I'm sure they would be interested to take a look at his ebay account details. It's not like this guy is just taking a small souvenir from an occasional trip. He's running a business!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I’m shocked that someone would pay £15.99for Bronze baggage rage... I mean I’m now wishing I’d never thrown mine away.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by 1flyer

It is not okay to sell memberships, the T&Cs specifically prohibit it:

"11.1. Any purported purchase, sale, transfer, unauthorised use (including bartering), procurement or redemption of Silver/Gold partner Cards and/or Hilton HHonours Diamond Cards issued or awarded to another person or any other use contrary to these Terms and Conditions will constitute a fundamental breach by the Member of these Terms and Conditions and therefore the contract between British Airways and the Member.

11.2. Each Member acknowledges that a breach pursuant to Clause 11.1 above may also constitute an inducement to breach the contract between British Airways and the Member, intentional damage to the business of British Airways, conspiracy and criminal offences under applicable local or national law. Any breach pursuant to Clause 11.1 will constitute Fraud and/or Misconduct and will be dealt with in accordance with Clauses 12 and 13 below."

The removal of blankets, pillows, glasses, plates etc is theft, even if the OP is not the one stealing the items they are nonetheless handling stolen goods. Pyjamas, slippers and amenity kits are provided to the passenger and are theirs to keep.

Whilst I appreciate some onboard items are legitimately acquired, that is not necessarily always the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.