Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who's Nostalgic? 1997 Timetable Highlights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Who's Nostalgic? 1997 Timetable Highlights

I bought a 1997 BA Timetable on eBay to replace one I'd long since lost. I used to fly BA once a year back then between New York and London (sadly always WT) and sometimes onward to Europe so this is a BA I remember very well. I have shared some highlights here.

Only one of those partners still flies

Did you say over 50 different movies in First?

I did like the square dot branding for Club

When CCR meant Concorde

The old Executive Club

Speaking of the Concorde, and a really CW heavy 777

Three class DC-10!

747-100 and 200

The 767 that was a mainstay of smaller US airports

And the early website.

Hope you enjoyed.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA GFL. AA EXP. Amex Plat. Mucci.
Great stuff! Fond Memories!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
Thank you for this. I do miss Deutsche BA.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
WT on upper deck??
noFODplease likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
WT on upper deck??
I did WT on the upper deck around that period - I was doing a lot of to and fro to the US at the time, and really enjoyed being upstairs. The passenger/toilet ratio was massively improved apart from anything else.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
WT on upper deck??
I remember that too, can't remember if it was the 747-100 or 200 that had the configuration but it was REALLY tight.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by CMK10
I remember that too, can't remember if it was the 747-100 or 200 that had the configuration but it was REALLY tight.
My only time on upper deck on a 747 was in WT (to CPT back in the 90s). But back then I could carry water onto flights, and once spent best part of an hour in the cockpit chatting away to the captains as they explained how parts of the plane worked. How things have changed, and not for the better. WT seemed so much posher back then, I even got a little blue toiletry bag. At least QR still give economy travellers toothbrushes, eye masks, etc - all BA give is a cockroach from the seat in front (seriously! on G-XLEK last month in the upper deck a cockroach walked from the seat in front onto my neighbour's meal tray! I'm sort of glad it came after we'd eaten instead of while we were eating.)
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
'Boeing 777 - 5 aircraft in fleet'
seavisionburma and tynmar like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Wt was definitely on the upper deck but had stairs to front not rear of cabin. Flew it a couple of times and it was great fun
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Very interesting, thank you for posting, I wasn't flying with BA (or anyone really) then... In 1997 I travelled from Portsmouth to Perth and back by sea!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jimlad48
Wt was definitely on the upper deck but had stairs to front not rear of cabin. Flew it a couple of times and it was great fun
BA certainly had WT on the upper deck of 747-400 (as well as the -200) for a while around 1993; I flew to SIN. I think there was preferred seating of full Y fare holders as well as BAEC. I dont think it was long after they shifted Club up there.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Used to do LHR-FRA in 1997 when I was a language assistant in Germany during my gap year. Probably did about eight returns in total. It looks incredibly quaint now, but in my memory it doesn't feel that different from the ET I live and breathe!
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I did WT on the upper deck around that period ...
Originally Posted by jimlad48
I also had a LHR-SYD in WT on the upper deck. It did make the journey more pleasant.

Back then, it was normally reserved for S class ticket holders - S class being the (non-standard) fully-flexible economy booking class used by BA then.

The stairs were at the front because the spiral staircase was at doors 1, as you can see from the seat map on the left hand side page.

On the 744, the staircase was moved aft to doors 2 and made into a straight set of stairs, because the stretched upper deck allowed this. That's the configuration with which we are all familiar today, and is shown on the right hand side page.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
1997 was the year I first flew for business . Discovered cradle seat club world and the hot cramped upper deck in Y on the 747 200 to orlando
I also remember the 5 across Y to Dallas in the DC10
it was the year BA flew with different tail fins ; they flew local domestic services in props
Manchester had a massive lounge
Terminal 4 was the bees knees as was Gatwick North
Deutsche BA were great; american Airlines first and club were terrible in those days
most of all you always had a copy of the BA timetable and collected paper tickets and coud upgrade Y to CE for a song at the airport.
It was 3 abreast in CE though!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:08 pm

Love this! I remember collecting those timetables through my teens in the early 90s.
Any pics of some timetable pages?
i definitely remember WT upstairs on the 747-200 (stowing away as a captain’s son) at the top of the spiral staircase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.