Who's Nostalgic? 1997 Timetable Highlights

Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by Mixbury
I am correct in thinking the implementation had neutral coloured carpets?

EDIT: This is the first version I remember:

Since the theme is nostalgia, I preferred it to New First. Don't recall ever seeing that blue/grey combination.
It is long before my time but I have come across this photo many times since I became an aviation geek - to this day I think it looks like a very inviting and comfortable place to spend a long-haul flight! The spotlights built into each seat still look classy IMHO
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Mixbury
This is the first version I remember:

Since the theme is nostalgia, I preferred it to New First. Don't recall ever seeing that blue/grey combination.
The blue/grey scheme was the original 1995 F. The walnut coloured theme was a refresh.

Originally Posted by bwaflyer
judging by the overhead lockers, it looks like a 767
I thought so, but I've never knowingly seen the inside of a DC10 (I hardly used LGW until c. 2000)
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'd happily pay to have these timetables available again, even if they were only available in PDF format. Surely some BA intern or summer student could put one of these together as a project. The information is all there electronically but it's just not all in one place or in a friendly format. Just trying to find out things like routes, schedules or classes available via ba.com is far more time consuming than using a "paper" solution. I always carried one around in my briefcase and usually another in my suit pocket. Spent many happy hours browsing.

I remember they used to send you a special EC version (depending on what level you were at) with a different cover and additional information. I still have many copies from the time. I remember the day that a BA agent told me they would be published no more - very sad.
James91 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Thanks for posting, this is very interesting.

I particularly like the 'raid the larder' feature in Club World. I think Mr Cruz must have seen that and misunderstood the concept!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The original was the light coloured one, the blue/grey was a replacement as the lighter one wasn’t practical.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The 767s had a unique 2-1-2 seating arrangement with a single Captain Kirk style seat in the centre section.

Here's a photo from the 1993 timetable
Attached Images  
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:49 am

1999 is as far back as it goes:
https://web.archive.org/web/19990117...no_dhtml.shtml

World Traveller
Catering for you
You'll be refreshed throughout your flight with a pre take-off juice and complementary bar service, which offers a wide selection of wines, spirits and juices. Enjoy delicious food from our award-winning four course menu with a choice of entree. If you have any dietary requirements, place your order 24 hours in advance and we'll be happy to arrange vegetarian, vegan or other specific meals.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by CMK10
I remember that too, can't remember if it was the 747-100 or 200 that had the configuration but it was REALLY tight.
Flew Qantas HKG-SYD upperdeck Y in about 2001. Was front row literally glued to fuselage. FA saw me and brought me into either J or F. First premium experience where I was totally overwhelmed. Those were the days.
gustavmahler likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
The timetable seems to suggest that Gold card holders and 'ordinary' First passengers could get into the Concorde lounge at Terminal 4. I thought it was just for Concorde passengers.
Back in 1997, BA Gold really did mean that you meant something to the airline. But it would be interesting to compare numbers from then and now.
Prospero likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Can I help you
The original was the light coloured one, the blue/grey was a replacement as the lighter one wasnt practical.
But the lighter scheme photo shows walnut panelling, which was a later feature (and one that remained until NF).

The original F flatbed did not have walnut trim.

Originally Posted by Prospero
The 767s had a unique 2-1-2 seating arrangement with a single Captain Kirk style seat in the centre section.

Here's a photo from the 1993 timetable
Ah, being '93, that's pre '95 flat bed; those are recliners.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Judging by the general naffness, that must be "TAT"

JAXBA likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
With regards to the pictures of First...

The blue single seats came out in I believe 1996. The Kelly Hoppen refresh from 2000/2001 with the faux walnut panelling did not include the light carpets. I am guessing that photo above is a cabin mockup or a test aircraft because the actual carpets were the thicker dark blue ones. I don't recall ever flying with an aircraft that had the lighter coloured carpet and am not entirely surprised given the state they'd be in very quickly!
Genius1 and JAXBA like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by Fraser
With regards to the pictures of First...
I don't recall ever flying with an aircraft that had the lighter coloured carpet and am not entirely surprised given the state they'd be in very quickly!
I do remember the light carpet, and yes it raised an eyebrow as soon as you saw it, especially on the 777s when you realized everyone was going to disembarque through door 1.

Possibly a slightly esoteric sub-thread...
JAXBA likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
I remember the mini economy cabin in the DC10 from DFW it was great and then I think if became the precursor to WT+ ie full fare passengers only.

The little Y cabin was trialled as "Economy Select"..must have been early 1990s? Ex LGW only I think using ex BR DC10s..

Last edited by no longer atc; Jan 25, 2018 at 10:52 am Reason: sp
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Access to BA lounges with Malev Duna and LOT Voyager cards

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.