Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who's Nostalgic? 1997 Timetable Highlights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by T8191
I’m surprised nobody has yet mentioned the old West London Air Terminal, from whence I travelled (having deposited my luggage) from LHR to SIN in 1967

OK, it was not on BA, but a British Eagle Britannia trooping charter. Nostalgic, though! Curiously, ‘cos dem’s da rules, my parents had to drive me from Richmond (10 miles from LHR?) into Central London (20 miles.) to drop me off
I posted about it on a previous nostalgia thread, including about the buses towing the luggage trailers.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:53 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by HilFly
I posted about it on a previous nostalgia thread, including about the buses towing the luggage trailers.
If ever you catch the film "Travels With My Aunt" you can see them in action!

The one thing I cannot see here are those different coloured boarding cards for ET (Brown) and CE (Blue). Traveling in CE was very expensive in those days. The one that comes to mind was Ł178 return to CDG
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Though this is British Caledonian, it does creep into the BA relevance given the takeover. These are the mid-1980's fares BCal charged on their domestic routes - they were probably cheaper than BA out of LHR to try and drag the market to Gatwick in those days - they were also competing against an hourly 757. I recall flying on one of BCal's late morning LGW flights from Manchester for the standby rate. Also shown are a number of UK regional airlines who no longer exist in that form (Spacegrand went through several iterations to become Fly Be).

Fares were eye-watering then. But you got a hot meal and a bar service, even on the Manchester run.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
If ever you catch the film "Travels With My Aunt" you can see them in action!

The one thing I cannot see here are those different coloured boarding cards for ET (Brown) and CE (Blue). Traveling in CE was very expensive in those days. The one that comes to mind was Ł178 return to CDG
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:33 am

Heres one for Pucci. BR seating plans
Genius1 and RoyalSwazi like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Qatar Airways
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:38 am

Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:36 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

Heres one for Pucci. BR seating plans
Thank you! Now the 747s all belonged to Sabena. We had an arrangement with them and we had Sabena staff aboard. Personally I would not have had most of them working in the hold. One or two were lovely but the rest were as lazy as the day was long.

The DC-10 was one of my favourite aircraft of all time - although it nearly bankrupted us once after they were all grounded following the AA crash on take off from ORD and all that this revealed about the maintenance. My Father was worried every time I flew after the TK Paris disaster.

As far as I am concerned the F back then (I cannot speak for BA as I did not work there in the 80s). The seats were luxurious even though they did not turn into beds. The Champagne was Krug and we used to change into long dresses to serve lunch and dinner. The film was indeed shown on a big screen and I think that instead of those Stethoscopes (chargeable in Y) were sorts of headsets in F but I can't remember. Afternoon Tea was delicious. We served a Chicken Crumble that I have tried to emulate but which is not as good. I must actually give that another go. it was the first time that I saw Perrier in cans. We had a complete open chiller for soft drinks.

One cannot live in the past, but it is fun to look back and see what all the enhancements have done.
JAXBA likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I can remember my first F flight from UVF to LGW in 1995. Krug was indeed served as well as a Chateaubriand carved in front of you. The strange thing that I somehow seem to remember was that entry into the F cabin of the 747 was direct. No entrance galley to turn left at. The galley was to the right and you basically walked into the F cabin. Do I remember this correctly?

Last edited by charlesrhona; Jan 30, 2018 at 7:11 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The classic B747 had thick silver grey curtains which would have been pulled back with red ropes, they would have been pulled inflight.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:53 am

BR memory lane for pucci

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Thank you! Now the 747s all belonged to Sabena. We had an arrangement with them and we had Sabena staff aboard. Personally I would not have had most of them working in the hold. One or two were lovely but the rest were as lazy as the day was long.

The DC-10 was one of my favourite aircraft of all time - although it nearly bankrupted us once after they were all grounded following the AA crash on take off from ORD and all that this revealed about the maintenance. My Father was worried every time I flew after the TK Paris disaster.

As far as I am concerned the F back then (I cannot speak for BA as I did not work there in the 80s). The seats were luxurious even though they did not turn into beds. The Champagne was Krug and we used to change into long dresses to serve lunch and dinner. The film was indeed shown on a big screen and I think that instead of those Stethoscopes (chargeable in Y) were sorts of headsets in F but I can't remember. Afternoon Tea was delicious. We served a Chicken Crumble that I have tried to emulate but which is not as good. I must actually give that another go. it was the first time that I saw Perrier in cans. We had a complete open chiller for soft drinks.

One cannot live in the past, but it is fun to look back and see what all the enhancements have done.
sorry about the scratched lens on my galaxy,heres a few pics.Is that you Pucci😉
Ý

RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pennineuk
I'm reminded by the timetables here that you could once fly 757 MAN-LGW for a short time, which was a nice change from the 737s used. All very different now!
I see UNST airport on the map, three letter code UNT.
I used to hand write tickets from Belfast - Edinburgh - Unst.
Weird that the airport is now closed.

Unst is of course famous for that bus stop
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Though this is British Caledonian, it does creep into the BA relevance given the takeover. These are the mid-1980's fares BCal charged on their domestic routes - they were probably cheaper than BA out of LHR to try and drag the market to Gatwick in those days - they were also competing against an hourly 757. I recall flying on one of BCal's late morning LGW flights from Manchester for the standby rate. Also shown are a number of UK regional airlines who no longer exist in that form (Spacegrand went through several iterations to become Fly Be).

Fares were eye-watering then. But you got a hot meal and a bar service, even on the Manchester run.
I remember Gill Air well. They were a super little airline, I really feel they could have survived but Bank of Scotland had other ideas.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by pennineuk
I'm reminded by the timetables here that you could once fly 757 MAN-LGW for a short time, which was a nice change from the 737s used. All very different now!
Look at that London - Manchester service!
pennineuk likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Sealink
I remember Gill Air well. They were a super little airline, I really feel they could have survived but Bank of Scotland had other ideas.
I seem to remember flying NCL - MAN on Gill Air. Did they fly that route or am I losing my marbles?
pennineuk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.