Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who's Nostalgic? 1997 Timetable Highlights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Fraser
The blue single [F] seats came out in I believe 1996. The Kelly Hoppen refresh from 2000/2001 with the faux walnut panelling…
Thank you for confirming my own recollection. I knew the walnut scheme was a later refresh by a designer, but I couldn't remember the name Kelly Hoppen. I kept thinking of Anya Hindmarch and the BAg, which I believe was the same time as the walnut?

This is indeed a very esoteric sub-discussion!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
If someone has a July 1996 timetable to check some flight numbers and times I have, I'd be most appreciative.

I have noted a BA5360 GLA to BHX at 06:45 and the same flight number continuing on to FRA at 08:35.
The return would be perhaps the 11:00 BA5361 from FRA to BHX, and the BA5407 to GLA at 17:45.

It definitely was an ATP on the Domestics, and was a jet (perhaps a 737) on the Frankfurts.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:46 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
https://web.archive.org/web/19990128...ba/newba.shtml

While I'm feeling nostalgic, I found the page on the website talking about the "new BA", aka the BA "that wasn't a British airline, but an airline of the world born and based in Britain".

I have fond memories of the 777 adorned with the "Animals and Trees" livery flying over my house as a teenager in Charlotte. Sadly, both the livery and BA in CLT are now gone.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The first picture with the light beige is the original colours and was fitted to the 17 seater First aircraft plus a couple more of the 14 seaters before it was changed to the blue/ grey colour scheme.

I’m doubting myself now, I know the original one had a beige carpet but was changed to to being impractical.
The picture here with the beige carpet is a 13 seater RR aircraft and they came even later.

Last edited by Can I help you; Jan 25, 2018 at 7:11 pm
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Love how Concorde is described as supersonic class. Thanks for sharing.
noFODplease likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Apart from anything else, I'm nostalgic of actually having printed timetables. I still miss them badly and no internet capability, however wonderful, will ever completely replace them in my mind. I'm still a pen and paper guy I guess.

IIRC Emirates still print one.

I too would like a paper timetable. On similar lines the one thing that the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair are good at is the 'where we fly' with the map etc.

I find that a lot of legacy carriers don't have this and timetables online are always clunky. They often want to know specific dates....I'm thinking I don't know yet.

By the time you go online and find it you could have found in a book quicker.

Thanks to the OP for this It's a shame BA don't fly to LUN anymore (for selfish work reasons) Before 2005 my flying was consigned to charter airlines and fights to Palma on Easyjet so it's good to see.

I'm looking forward to the days in the future of showing prints out from 2008 or even 2018 and people saying

"The EC club was better in those days.. back when they enforced group boarding" or "remember the days of EX AMS fare to BKK for naff all" etc

I think people's memories are often rose tinted. I'm not sure flying was any better experience then. I'm sure if you could work the system,
getting an upgrade would easier, pre centralised IT, but even in the time from when I started to fly regularly on legacy carriers (which has become a decade this year)
flying IMHO hasn't got any worse and arguably it's better.

I flew to SYD in 2008 and this was my first J class experience, I landed in Sydney and I remember feeling so tired and could barely my eye open by 1pm and felt like this for the first two days.

Flying to AKL in 2017 with Cathay on two A350 flights and I landed at 7am into Auckland and went the whole day working and fell asleep at 11pm. I travel to New Zealand quarterly at the moment for 4-5 days at a time and do it with minimal toil on my body clock.
Some of that is I'm sure I'm more used to jet jag but a lot of it is down to these new generations of aircraft.
James91 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
I remember flying WT on the UD of a 747-400 in 1994/5.

This timetable has the 747-400 UD as all CW in 1997.

I think I had an earlier timetable (1994) that showed two types of UD - one 100% WT and one 100% CW.

A few plane spotter type questions...

If anyone knows....

1) Were all the early 747-400's delivered with WT on the UD ?
2) As the 747-400s were delivered 1989-99, how many were there that had that configuration (There would have been 20-30 delivered by 1994 I think)
3) When did they change then to CW on the UD ?
4) Did they have the little side cupboards even when they were in 3+3 WT configuration ?
5) Was the front UD seat row 60 back then too ?

None of this is important of course, I am just curious....
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Is this the 767 or the DC10?

I seem to remember F flatbeds were on the 767s at one point, but they're not shown in these timetables.
Pretty sure that is a 767 with old style overhead lockers. I don't believe the First flat beds were ever fitted to the DC10 or classic 747 fleet. The last of the DC10s and classic 747s were retired in 2002/3; I'm not sure BA would've gone to the expense of refitting an ever diminishing fleet with just 6/7 years of active service left*

*Nobody mention Concorde (RIP)

Last edited by Genius1; Jan 26, 2018 at 1:56 pm
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
29/6 - PER via SIN & LHR to FBU (the old oslo airport) and back for my first trip for uni term holidays. WT as I could not convince my parents to fork out for CW (wonder why...). I was travelling with the only other Viking on campus. She was asked to move seats and got a bottle of champagne for her troubles. I was envious, despite my taste in booze only stretched to vodka, bourbon and moonshine in those days. Pre-take off juice and printed menu. Arrived home just in time to see the flag being lowered and Chris Patten in tears on CNN. Great service on all legs.

BA11/12 tended to have the best fares between PER & SIN, hence all my Singaporean mates would fly with them. As an avgeek I always enjoyed seeing the army of Hyacinth Buckets coming through customs. Those uniforms were hideous, but BA always provided great service:-)

On a separate note, I’ve collected printed timetables since the mid-eighties. I will never forgive my mother, bless her soul, for throwing out the ones I’d collected when we moved back to Norway from Africa in 1990.
JAXBA likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Surprised people haven’t commented on rows 26/27 on the 747 non viewing seats and the comments that smoking where permitted would be at the back of all cabins.

I had had an upstairs WT seat with no seat in front of me on the 2pm to JFK one day. I checked in relatively early as I used to love walking along the Dunlop bouncy travelators in terminal 4 and watching Concorde depart.

On boarding I was told that my seat had been changed as a group checking in from Paris had been allocated the upper deck. I was offered a seat in the 50s downstairs in the smoking section. It was an aisle seat. I said I didn’t want to sit there and they said there was no other seat so I asked for my luggage back. A phone call revealed that mine was in one of the first cans loaded and would take ages to unload the aircraft and would potentially mean crew going out of hours. I reaffirmed I wouldn’t sit in the smoking section and seat found in Club World within a few mins and we boarded and pushed back on time.

I remember getting a semi dressing down from the cabin crew when I asked them when the US arrivals video would be shown on how to fill in your I94 and customs forms. Wad told that people in Club World didn’t usually need to be shown how to fill in the forms so it wasn’t shown in that cabin.. that was me told
adrianlondon, JAXBA and PrimaVista like this.

Last edited by KeaneJohn; Jan 26, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I generally flew short haul so ended up on numerous 1-11s, 737s and ATP's so this is my series of timetable memories of BA.
I used to fly to Bilbao, Cologne and on the BA Shuttle and the NCL route, which was not a shuttle even though it is call-signed as shuttle these days.
I bought a Highland Rover ticket which gave you 8 flights around the mainland and Scotland - one of my favourite holidays. I did ABZ-KOI-LSI-INV-BEB-SYY-GLA-ABZ all on the Budgie.

A diverse range of products sold by BA in a diverse series of markets - all without the oneWorld alliance and internet capabilities.
JAXBA likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:29 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Bringing back memories. The old booklet timetable, 747 fleet out of LGW to East & West Africa, the old Landor livery (before tailfingate), 10 abreast in Y on some of the Caribbean 777’s ��, some really fantastic l/h crews from LGW, the arrivals lounge in the Hilton (or was it Sofitel?) & smoking areas in the lounges.

Memories.............

S
JAXBA likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
If someone has a July 1996 timetable to check some flight numbers and times I have, I'd be most appreciative.

I have noted a BA5360 GLA to BHX at 06:45 and the same flight number continuing on to FRA at 08:35.
The return would be perhaps the 11:00 BA5361 from FRA to BHX, and the BA5407 to GLA at 17:45.

It definitely was an ATP on the Domestics, and was a jet (perhaps a 737) on the Frankfurts.
I have the 1996 Summer paper timetable.

You are correct that there was a BA5360 from GLA to BHX at 06:45 arriving at 08:00 operated by an ATP. The service then continued on the same flight number to FRA at 08:40 arriving at 11:20, operated by a 737.

On the return BA5361 left FRA at 12:00 and arrived BHX 12:35 (737). The same flight number continued to GLA at 13:25 arriving 14:40 (ATP). BA5407 did depart 17:45 and was a 737.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:32 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by lukew
I have the 1996 Summer paper timetable.

You are correct that there was a BA5360 from GLA to BHX at 06:45 arriving at 08:00 operated by an ATP. The service then continued on the same flight number to FRA at 08:40 arriving at 11:20, operated by a 737.

On the return BA5361 left FRA at 12:00 and arrived BHX 12:35 (737). The same flight number continued to GLA at 13:25 arriving 14:40 (ATP). BA5407 did depart 17:45 and was a 737.
Didn’t BA have a route like that going to Paris too?

S
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Saltire74

Didn’t BA have a route like that going to Paris too?

S
Yes, BA5402 and BA5406 were ATPs from GLA to BHX continuing on to CDG under the same flight numbers but operated by 737s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.