Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
Boarding a flight somewhere in Europe a while ago. Announcement for priority boarding for Gold, Silver and Bronze. Excitable 4 year old boy pipes up “Not you daddy, you’re Gold Guest List and they didn’t say that”.

A case of DYWMDI (Don’t you know why my dad is)!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:52 am
Suspended

Sometimes f amateurs are dykwia's.
I was standing in the f line for an AS flight San to Abq...guy subverts the clearly marked and stanchioned f line and asks the ga if f was boarding yet. She said no, and he just stands there waiting..then gets directed to the back of the line.

Once on board the erj he realized his choice of 1a was terrible. No bin, no underseat, bulkhead. He asks the fa if there is another open seat he could move to. I was in 2c, and 2d was open. Fa points him at my row.
He looks at me and says "but I want a row to myself!" . Then he makes eye contact as if to say "swap?"...but I was too busy chuckling.

Then he bragged to the fa that he flies this route all the time..she responds with "me too..I must have missed you each time" lol

Last edited by Proudelitist; Jul 11, 2018 at 2:44 pm
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Okay I'll bite!
For newyorklondon, are the initials of the VERY,VERY, VERY well known person BJ, or I guess currently CJ?
Just curious.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Please say it's CJ
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysonBA663
Boarding a flight somewhere in Europe a while ago. Announcement for priority boarding for Gold, Silver and Bronze. Excitable 4 year old boy pipes up “Not you daddy, you’re Gold Guest List and they didn’t say that”.

My kids do this and I bloody hate it. I mind less when they call out queue jumpers who assume kids won’t be travelling F.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Okay I'll bite!
For newyorklondon, are the initials of the VERY,VERY, VERY well known person BJ, or I guess currently CJ?
Just curious.
Ha! I didn't recognize this person, but definitely not CJ! Also, I bet CJ would have got her passport in order by now!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
Mistaken gender address ("Hello Mr..." to a transitioned American woman) at check-in (JNB-CPT) led to a double DWKWIA ruckus last week.

It all went rapidly downhill after the initial greeting. From the snippets I overheard, standing behind her, pax's US passport had an updated photo, but the gender marker had not yet been updated via the Gender Designation Change process.

It was a double DYKWIA because:
1) She's very, very, VERY well known back home apparently, and this kind of behaviour just WOULDN'T FLY (no pun intended!) in the US.
2) Don't You Know What I Am?

I felt a bit conflicted, to be honest; she was not behaving well at all, but clearly this was a very sore point for her.
Would the initials have been LC?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:19 am

Why only initials ? What's wrong with calling them out with their names ?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
Why only initials ? What's wrong with calling them out with their names ?
Wish you would, as I have no idea who you are talking about!
origin and aidy like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Originally Posted by AlwaysonBA663

My better half is a retired B744 skipper with BA. When he was operating a flight we were travelling on and did the welcome aboard PA, the kids used to pipe up "That's not the Captain,that's daddy!" Always made people in earshot laugh..
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by no longer atc
Wish you would, as I have no idea who you are talking about!
The most high-profile American transgender women I can think of are Caitlyn Jenner and Laverne Cox. I was guessing one of them and they fit the initials, which means for once the people I've heard of are actually the people others have heard of too!

Edit: also the Wachowski sisters.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
On yesterday's Mumbai to London flight, where there was a large crowd by the boarding area. Group 1's and First passengers had formed their own queue by the side, and the BA staffers knew that we were all G1 (or F). A gentleman in his mid-60s came along and in a rather imperious tone, said "make way, I'm in First Class, make way please". Well, so were the rest of us and he was promptly dispatched to the back of the G1 queue by the staffer. Chuntered for a while before we boarded.
T8191 and TWCLAM like this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by gingerlucy
The most high-profile American transgender women I can think of are Caitlyn Jenner and Laverne Cox. I was guessing one of them and they fit the initials, which means for once the people I've heard of are actually the people others have heard of too!

Edit: also the Wachowski sisters.
Ha! I wish I knew who it was, but none of the above; I genuinely have no idea, despite the fact she was clearly very, very, VERY well known in the US!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:18 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I confess to my DWKIA sins today .

On MH, last night when boarding in KUL, there was a lot of people standing near the boarding machines when priority boarding was announced. Everyone approached the boarding doors, and quite a bit a lot of them were turned back. Whilst waving my passport and (the boarding pass slid in it) in the air, I literally said "Business Class" slightly louder than I have intended..... got a lot of evil looks but was first on the plane nevertheless...

it wasn't until 10 minutes after I boarded would everyone else started boarding...
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:59 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Witnessed my first slightly DYWKIA moment at the gate in DME yesterday. After a long, fraughtful day, finally standing in the priority queue waiting for boardind to start, two queues had been formed with groups 1 & 2. Two middle aged blokes walked up and tried to push by everyone to get to the front and we’re promptly stopped by a middle aged lady, pointing out to both where the end of the priority queue was. Bloke 1 loudly exclaims that they are group 1 and said lady points out that she is also. Second bloke pipes up that most people in the queue weren’t probably priority boarding anyway when I pipe in that the gate agent has went along the length of the queue and appropriately directed those without priority boarding (group 1 & 2) to the general boarding holding area. His mouth firmly clamped shut. Yesterday was not a good day and could well have been reading about myself on here had they decided to take their conversation further.

Six or seven of us had a bit of blitz mentality yesterday after our original flight was cancelled 12 hours previously and spent hours rearranging things to get the last flight of the day but kept each other’s spirits up during the delay and despite the complaining amongst ourselves, held it together and continued our camaraderie until we got to LHR but these two self entitled eejits could have quite easily been the straw that broke the camels back.

S
wrp96 and memesweeper like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.