Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by PETER01
Thanks Globaliser , I am always amazed at your airline knowledge and I do learn a lot from your posts on FT many a subject especially ticketing, routes etc. Keep up the good work as I certainly appreciate it and no doubt many others do as well!
Thank you for those kind words!

But much of what I pass on is that which I know how to find quickly. The answer to that question, for example, is one for which Wikipedia is pretty reliable and up-to-date for most airports: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upingt...d_destinations
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:55 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Thank you for those kind words!

But much of what I pass on is that which I know how to find quickly. The answer to that question, for example, is one for which Wikipedia is pretty reliable and up-to-date for most airports: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upingt...d_destinations
Well, after a personal life changing event 2 years ago one thing I have learnt is if you need to say something, especially positive things!, just say it but I digress there but you do a fantastic job on many a thread answering peoples queries and especially after 18 years on FT!

Ah, your being generally modest in your reply there and I note you and a *few others are regularly on here in this specific thread. That is the secret though, knowing where to find things and more importantly how to interpret and use them like the ITA Matrix, Fare Rules and 101 other things! There aren't enough compliments on FT and personally I just can't grasp ITA Matrix and my pea brain just can't process f/b:c and how to find the best fares and all that (same with Excel Spreadsheets and doing formulas etc!)

Watch others and learn is my motto!

* too many to mention but the likes of KARFA, rossmacd etc
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
No. Airlink (SA associate) is the only airline that flies to UTN.
Very many thanks all: Ba have said it can all be booked with BA by ringing them . The UTN sector is SA coded. Will having this in the booking affect whether or not i can upgrade the long hail sectors. ie; should i book it separately?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
quick question, do golds still get free cancellations?

Wanting to book a MEL-HGK flight on cathy pacific just to satisfy onward travel requirements and cancel it once im in the country
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aceman
quick question, do golds still get free cancellations?
No, not for a long time now. GGL still do, though.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prospero
01 Additional Gold benefits
  • Additional reward availability in economy (V class)
Back in 2016, there was a period when this was not showing up on ba.com for Golds. I don't know from experience whether it could be booked offline, but the problem was fixed by the end of August 2016: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27147718-post538.html

Sadly, it looks like it's gone from ba.com again.

This may or may not be linked to another difficulty, which is that (true) award availability on Comair flights is no longer shown on ExpertFlyer.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Mrs T and I are out in PHX Aug/Sept - I’ve some people to see in the Bay Area and am looking at using avios to fly PHX - SJC or SFO return . I can see available AA flights in Y using BA .com for 10/9 to 17/9 . However (am I right) it’s HBO? - there are some first tickets to SFO at 60k plus taxes . Ideally like to use SJC. Any idea how to get the best deal? We will have at least 1 checked in bag from the TATL flights and don’t really want to faff using storage at PHX
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
Mrs T and I are out in PHX Aug/Sept - I’ve some people to see in the Bay Area and am looking at using avios to fly PHX - SJC or SFO return . I can see available AA flights in Y using BA .com for 10/9 to 17/9 . However (am I right) it’s HBO? - there are some first tickets to SFO at 60k plus taxes . Ideally like to use SJC. Any idea how to get the best deal? We will have at least 1 checked in bag from the TATL flights and don’t really want to faff using storage at PHX
I think you get a free bag as a BA Gold but if not it's only $25e/w.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See:
Are AA domestic economy redemptions always HBO?
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
It's not HBO in the way that BA HBO fares are. A domestic, Economy Class award flight on AA does not include any free checked bags, but even low-tier elites (oneworld Ruby) get a free checked bag for each passenger on the reservation record. If one has no status, any passenger who checks a first bag would pay $25.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Cheers Pauldb, guv1976 & jerry a. laska

Thanks for this, very informative. I was wondering if the Avios reward bookings would drop into the (newish) BE offering on AA.

I am Gold and Mrs T Silver so if I have read it right, i will get booked into Main Cabin on AA; our status will allow checked bags, a cabin bag and personal item. I should also be able to select seats.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Cheers Pauldb, guv1976 & jerry a. laska

Thanks for this, very informative. I was wondering if the Avios reward bookings would drop into the (newish) BE offering on AA.

I am Gold and Mrs T Silver so if I have read it right, i will get booked into Main Cabin on AA; our status will allow checked bags, a cabin bag and personal item. I should also be able to select seats.
Not only will you be able to select seats, you will be able to select "Main Cabin Extra" seats, some of which offer more leg room than seats in First Class!
Telecasterman likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:59 am

I have just booked two flights using the Scandinavian WT+ c£500 fare which in both cases I did the upgrade with Avios for the transatlantic sectors at totally different times (one was back in December) the other today. They were all off-peak zone 5 bookings for the four transatlantic sectors. In all cases I have been charged 14,000 Avios (10,000 less than the listed upgrade price). It was always odd that the upgrades were cheaper at peak, could this be new upgrade pricing or an error that coincidentally happened twice. Overall I saved 80k Avios for my partner and I. It makes the Ex-EU WT+ upgrades a real bargain. Although it cuts out the flexibility of a standard redemption ticket and the connecting flights are in Y, its made up for by earning Avios on these tickets and TPs.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:55 am

BA changes point cost for short distance award ticket?

Folks,
I have a quick question about using avios to redeem an one way economy flight between new york and washington on American airline. I am able to find multiple seats available on BA website, however the pricing is 7500 instead of 4500 points (as the flight distance is only 300 miles) throughout the entire schedule (Feb to Nov 2018). Has BA quietly changed his pricing chart for award ticket? I heard some rumors about their dynamic award tickets and never confirmed from any source...

Thanks for replying in advance,
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
To quote from Post 3: "Redemption rates for travel on American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, and TAM will start at 7,500 Avios rather than 4,500 Avios, effectively pricing Distance Band 1 flights as Band 2." This has been the case for 2 years now. Band 1 redemptions for USA domestic flights will be priced as Band 2 from 02 Feb 2016

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.