Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Thanks Karfa. It is an Avios upgrade but when using MMB it pops up with a cannot do contact your travel agent.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Thanks Karfa. It is an Avios upgrade but when using MMB it pops up with a cannot do contact your travel agent.
So just ignore that. As long as it is booked and ticketed you can do the UuA but you need to contact BA directly to do it if there is reward space. The MMB UuA function rarely seems to work for any booking apart from the simplest non-TA returns.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Others may have more specific information about MH shortly, but as a general rule it's pretty much irrelevant whether you can book flights for cash. If you're trying to make an Avios booking, you need award space. No award space, no ticket - it's as simple as that.
I realize that. It just seemed unbelievable that there would be no award space for the next 10 months. But, I am unfamiliar with the use of Avios on MH (or MH award space for partners in general). I'll keep searching but may end up purchasing a revenue fare.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Nurse Traveler
It just seemed unbelievable that there would be no award space for the next 10 months.
Just as a test, EF told me that on 12 March 2018 there is one U class seat on the first two KUL-LGK flights, and they duly appear on ba.com.

I then tried 15 November 2018, on which there is one U class seat on each of the first three KUL-LGK flights - same result on ba.com.

I can also get EF results to match ba.com results for first, business and economy cabins on some KUL-LHR flights. So overall, it seems that ba.com is accurately reflecting the same results as a third party source suggests.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Quick update - called BA and although the fare bucket was OK for the upgrade the ticket had special restrictions on it so was not possible to proceed.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:11 am

UUA with domestic leg

I am looking at a holiday in LAS at Xmas and it prices at £1200 in WTP as opposed to £2400 in CW. This would be ex GLA via LHR. As it's a peak time, for both of us the UUA cost will be 100k, I have checked availability. This works out as a very decent 2.5p per avios if I have done my sums right.

As the avios CW for LAS from LHR and GLA is 75k am I right in thinking that availability dependant that the GLA - LHR legs should upgrade at no additional avios cost.
​​​​​​
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cw novice
I am looking at a holiday in LAS at Xmas and it prices at £1200 in WTP as opposed to £2400 in CW. This would be ex GLA via LHR. As it's a peak time, for both of us the UUA cost will be 100k, I have checked availability. This works out as a very decent 2.5p per avios if I have done my sums right.

As the avios CW for LAS from LHR and GLA is 75k am I right in thinking that availability dependant that the GLA - LHR legs should upgrade at no additional avios cost.
​​​​​​
no, if you also want to UuA the GLA-LHR you would also have to pay the additional avios fo that - around 3-4k avios from memory. It’s a short flight though so you may wish to save your avios for something else.

It’s only reward bookings where the domestic booking does not cost additional avios when connecting to/from a long haul flight.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
deleted

Last edited by Blueboys999; Jan 15, 2018 at 8:30 pm
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Nurse Traveler
I am trying to make an Avios booking on MH. MH has revenue flights (I didn't search for award space on a 3rd party tool) but I have checked BA.com for a November 2018 itinerary and nothing is available (It doesn't show any results). I've tried various time points on different days of the week for next month, and the months following but no results. Is there a trick to booking an MH flight? This is for economy KUL-LGK.
How many seats are you looking for? For quite a while it has been MH's practice to release just 1 seat in each cabin for reward tickets so if it's more than that I think you'll be out of luck especially as the Economy seats seem to be snapped up early.

Just to add that I have found KUL-LGK to be a poor redemption value and it's such a short trip that Economy does just fine and can be very cheap on both MH and its competitors on that route.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:36 am

Upgrading using Avios
You can upgrade from economy to premium economy on all published fares except Q, O, and G.

I hope somebody can explain this to me:
When you book tickets on BA.com, how do you know what ticket type you bought? Before you pay? to make sure it is not Q, O or G?

Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mike_Smith
I hope somebody can explain this to me:
When you book tickets on BA.com, how do you know what ticket type you bought? Before you pay? to make sure it is not Q, O or G?
Using the new website, it seems that you can't.

But you can price the itinerary using ITA, remembering to deduct £8 from each base fare component to get a match to the ba.com price (because of the GDS fee which is included in the ITA quote). That detailed price breakdown will show you the booking classes used as well as many other bits of information.

Alternatively, you can buy the ticket on ba.com and then check the booking class afterwards, using MMB to open the booking, opening the panel for the flight, and clicking More flight information link. If the booking class is not to your liking, you can cancel within 24 hours of booking for a full refund (traditionally, only by phone but MMB may sometimes now allow you to do this online).

Or, once you have bought the ticket, there are other services which will allow you to check the booking class.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
If I buy the following direct from ringing ba can I upgrade the long haul segments from cw to f with avios?

ams/Lhr/jnb/upington This domestic segment on on South african

back CPT/Lhr/ams

or does the upington bit prevent me upgrading the long haul sectors?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:56 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by simonsmith
If I buy the following direct from ringing ba can I upgrade the long haul segments from cw to f with avios?

ams/Lhr/jnb/upington This domestic segment on on South african

back CPT/Lhr/ams

or does the upington bit prevent me upgrading the long haul sectors?
Can you get the Upington flight with BA though? Despite a good search I can't see anything for that but someone more knowledgable than me may comment on that. If it's a straight booking with BA and on 125 ticket stock then yes you could UuA.

KARFA made this great but simple summary which is in the TP Run Thread IIRC. Summary guide to bookings which can be upgraded with Avios. So, the general rule for UuA is this:

BA issued tickets (can include other carriers) ^
TA issued (on BA stock) booking with only BA flights ^
TA issued (on BA stock) booking with other carriers
Tickets issued on non-BA stock

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; Jan 17, 2018 at 5:09 pm Reason: adding summary
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PETER01
Can you get the Upington flight with BA though?
No. Airlink (SA associate) is the only airline that flies to UTN.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Globaliser
No. Airlink (SA associate) is the only airline that flies to UTN.
Thanks Globaliser , I am always amazed at your airline knowledge and I do learn a lot from your posts on FT many a subject especially ticketing, routes etc. Keep up the good work as I certainly appreciate it and no doubt many others do as well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.