Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by KARFA

if you only booked yesterday you should be able to use the 24 hr cooling off period and cancel to get everything back. Call BAEC today to do it.

Really? I thought that only worked for US bookings!

Thank you!

I will call them right away!

Update: After a 38 min hold on the Gold line, got it all sorted! Thank you, KARFA!

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jun 2, 2018 at 4:28 am
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: ba gold
Has anyone seen recently that the expanded avios availability for GCH doesn’t match up to V class availability
for instance on jun 6 Tlv-lhr there is 9 v classes on the ba 166 using a US pos while only 2 avios seats available for a US-based gold account. Would calling the gold line help or am I out of luck?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by a mirrer
Has anyone seen recently that the expanded avios availability for GCH doesn’t match up to V class availability
for instance on jun 6 Tlv-lhr there is 9 v classes on the ba 166 using a US pos while only 2 avios seats available for a US-based gold account. Would calling the gold line help or am I out of luck?

I have some vague recollection that V class availability is always with reference to UK POS not your EC home POS. Looking at your example using UK POS V is indeed at 2 which would seems to bear this out.

BA 166 0 TLV
06/06/18 7:20 AM LHR
06/06/18 10:45 AM 777
J9 C2 D2 R0 I0 W9 E5 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M7 L4 V2 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: ba gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
I have some vague recollection that V class availability is always with reference to UK POS not your EC home POS. Looking at your example using UK POS V is indeed at 2 which would seems to bear this out.
Thank you.
good to know for next time which POS to check on expertflyer
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:25 pm

Can someone help me? I am looking to book award flight on AerLingus flying from ZRH to DUB direct flight for a family member. I called BA to check how many avios I need and the taxes, I was told 6500 avios and abt 60+ DBP. Does that sound right? 60+GBP? I checked United and it requires 8000 points plus 35USD. From looking at infor at the beginning of the thread, I was expecting 7500 avios needed and abt $35 USD. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks much!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Keflyer
Can someone help me? I am looking to book award flight on AerLingus flying from ZRH to DUB direct flight for a family member. I called BA to check how many avios I need and the taxes, I was told 6500 avios and abt 60+ DBP. Does that sound right? 60+GBP? I checked United and it requires 8000 points plus 35USD. From looking at infor at the beginning of the thread, I was expecting 7500 avios needed and abt $35 USD. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks much!
in terms of taxes/fees/charges this is what would be due on an EI revenue one way in Y ZRH-DUB:

Switzerland Airport Passenger Security And Noise Charge (CH)£26.70
EI YQ surcharge (YQ)£16.80
LX YR surcharge (YR)£19.10
so total is £62.60
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Try booking the Aer Lingus flight on avios.com, the taxes etc may well be much lower. You can try doing this before transferring the Avios over.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:41 pm

Thanks for the help! So using avios dont save me much over United. Or buying the ticket outright is 79CHF/87GBP without check in bags.
Thanks again!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: Tunnocks Tea Cake Platinum
Hi folks I have tried searching for this but can't seem to find it being asked before.

I'm looking to use a companion voucher for GLA - LHR - JFK. On top of that I would like to pay cash for a ticket for a 3rd person to join us, is it possible to have all three on the same PNR? or would the third person need to be a separate booking?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
If you have BA EC Gold , you get can this on one PNR

Otherwise it will be one PNR for the award booking, and another for the cash booking...
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by LHR FLYER
Hi folks I have tried searching for this but can't seem to find it being asked before.

I'm looking to use a companion voucher for GLA - LHR - JFK. On top of that I would like to pay cash for a ticket for a 3rd person to join us, is it possible to have all three on the same PNR? or would the third person need to be a separate booking?
Unfortunately you can't mix a redemption booking with a revenue one but you can do a TCP (To Complete Party). In effect as I understand it it is just a note on the booking to note the fact there is another PNR that your travelling together but ultimately it's still separate 2 bookings.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by memesweeper
If you have BA EC Gold , you get can this on one PNR

Otherwise it will be one PNR for the award booking, and another for the cash booking...
Is that right?

I've never heard of that before and I had a 241 with a cash booking for a 3rd person and it had to be 2 PNR's. Genuinely curious!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01
Is that right?

I've never heard of that before and I had a 241 with a cash booking for a 3rd person and it had to be 2 PNR's. Genuinely curious!
no it’s not. I think that it is being confusined with TCP and free seat selection.

you can’t have reward and cash tickets on one booking. In the OP’s situation there would be two separate bookings, one for the 2-4-1 and the other for the third person made by cash.

As a GCH the OP can also do TCP and free seat selection across on to the other booking as long as they are in the same cabin and flight.

Linking bookings (called TCP - To Complete Party) is available to any status, it is not a gold specific benefit. All TCP'ing two bookings does though is add a note on one referencing the other. This can be done by the BA agent on the phone. It is not any kind of merging of bookings.

However, what is a gold/owe benefit and not available for other tiers is free seat selection for the non-gold/silver booking passenger. If you are a GCH/owe and there is someone travelling on the same flight and in the same cabin on a separate booking, you can request free seat selection for the other person so that you can sit together. This second step, after doing the TCP, is usually sent off to the infamous back office to process and takes a few days to do. At no point are the bookings merged or combined. They will remain as two separate bookings.

PETER01, memesweeper and ubiest like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:27 pm

Thanks for the clarification KARFA ^
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat
Just tried to lookup on the BA Website RFS for a couple of Domestic Flights on JAL whislt in Japan, but no availability is coming up at all for the whole of October..

Is this a job for the call centre?

Ta,
Andy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.