Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, DeltaB!
Originally Posted by DeltaB
Obviously I don't want to miss out on the outbound flights while waiting on the inbound ones being released, so I've been trying to read up on one way bookings and adding on the inbound, making phone calls to Tokyo etc, but I think the addition on the 2-4-1 voucher complicates it.

Has anyone made a one way redemption recently with 2-4-1, then added one the return at a later date? Any tips/advice?
The complication of adding the inbound booking and phone calls to other BAEC numbers is almost always caused by wanting to use a 2-4-1 voucher, so what you have read will almost all have been about people trying to do exactly what you want to do.

As you may already have seen, we do have a dedicated thread which will answer many of your questions about this: BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion. You will see some very helpful FAQ in the wikipost at the beginning of the thread.

You might want to see this thread too: Calling Japan, Hong Kong or US?
DeltaB likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by DeltaB
I'm getting myself organised for (trying to!) book our honeymoon for April/May 2019 to SEZ. I currently have about 165k avios and the amex 2-4-1 voucher, so I think enough for First out and Club back, hopefully enough for First both ways by the time I come to booking...

Obviously I don't want to miss out on the outbound flights while waiting on the inbound ones being released, so I've been trying to read up on one way bookings and adding on the inbound, making phone calls to Tokyo etc, but I think the addition on the 2-4-1 voucher complicates it.

Has anyone made a one way redemption recently with 2-4-1, then added one the return at a later date? Any tips/advice?
you must do this by phone, not online. tell the agent you're going to book the return when the flights open up - I believe they then enter a code in the booking to indicate this. When you call to book the return, select the option for changing a booking. I did this recently for F out to JNB, CW back from CPT
DeltaB likes this.

Last edited by Yeoman5; Apr 9, 2018 at 8:52 am Reason: adding extra info
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
No, you can book the outbound online and still add the inbound by calling later.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:14 am

Mauritius Club availability?

What are the chances of getting 2 club seats one way in March 2019 there is no availabilty at the moment I am guessing hens teeth will be more likely? Or are there more releases as the year unfolds?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Unlikely, I would say. It's a prime route for redemptions, and with the refits the Club cabin is going down to only 32 seats if I remember correctly from the current 40-48.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:53 am

I forgot about the densification. .. I have the pleasure later this year back from JFK in one of the 32.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Theoretical q:

A paid WTP booking, upgrading into CW on a LHR-HKG leg. What would this cost in Avios and tax/fees amounts total for the upgrade? Just in the one direction (not sure if it's peak or off-peak).

Thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Theoretical q:

A paid WTP booking, upgrading into CW on a LHR-HKG leg. What would this cost in Avios and tax/fees amounts total for the upgrade? Just in the one direction (not sure if it's peak or off-peak).

Thanks!
Info in the Dashboard and here it is: Off peak is 36k and off peak 30k as it's just roughly under 6,000 miles. The extra taxes should be around £50 per person approximately but not sure of the precise details but it is around that amount IIRC from past experience.

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
To get the upgrade cash cost (i.e. yeh extra taxes/fees/charges due) just use BA.com and price up a WTP return to HKG and note the TFC, and then price up CW one way and WTP the other and note the TFC. The difference should be more or less what you pay.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Avios amounts are set out in the following table found in this post at the beginning of this thread, from which you can get the (higher) off-peak Avios number and the (lower) peak Avios number: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29235586-post7.html

You can get the TFC numbers by using ITA to price an itinerary that's WT+ in both directions, and then an itinerary that's CW outbound and WT+ inbound. It doesn't matter which booking classes, you just need the correct cabins. Using today's figures, the former TFC number is £456.11 and the latter is £507.61.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
To get the upgrade cash cost (i.e. yeh extra taxes/fees/charges due) just use BA.com and price up a WTP return to HKG and note the TFC, and then price up CW one way and WTP the other and note the TFC. The difference should be more or less what you pay.
I'm having a slow day.

So, here's what I have:

A CW redemption off-peak on that route would be:
90,000 & £365.41
A WTP redemption off-peak on that route would be:
39,000 & £313.91
Therefore, a WTP-CW upgrade should be approximately:
51000 Avios & £51.50

However, I feel the 1000 Avios over 50K seems like an odd number(?), while anything sub-£70 in taxes seems rather low? I thought such a route would typically be £150+ extra?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:41 pm

Another question. All the questions today.

If I theoretically part paid with Avios on a cash booking, to squash the overall cost of a booking, does this have any implication on eligibility to upgrade using Avios (again WTP-CW)?

I believe all WTP fare codes are upgradable, so don't see it being an issue, but genuinely don't know!

Further to this: let's imagine I pay for the ticket for a F&F account member, using some of my Avios to trim the price, and they then use their own Avios to upgrade the flight. Is that theoretically plausible? I want to avoid transferring Avios, ultimately, while maximising their redemption.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, here's what I have:

A CW redemption off-peak on that route would be:
90,000 & £365.41
A WTP redemption off-peak on that route would be:
39,000 & £313.91
Therefore, a WTP-CW upgrade should be approximately:
51000 Avios & £51.50

However, I feel the 1000 Avios over 50K seems like an odd number(?) ...
One of the potential sources of confusion is accidentally using the wrong bits of full redemption Avios prices to work out a one-way Upgrade using Avios. Better to use the UuA table that both PETER01 and I have copied from the meat of the beginning of this thread, as that's already had the hard work done.

If you really want to do it the hard way, do it from this table for full redemptions.

For HKG, I think it's Zone 7. A one-way redemption in WT+ is 60,000 peak; a one-way redemption in CW is 90,000 peak.

Therefore a one-way UuA is 30,000 peak. A one-way redemption in WT+ is 39,000 off-peak; a one-way redemption in CW is 75,000 off-peak. Therefore a one-way UuA is 36,000 off-peak.

... while anything sub-£70 in taxes seems rather low? I thought such a route would typically be £150+ extra?
I did the legwork for you earlier, so trust us on this:-
Originally Posted by Globaliser
You can get the TFC numbers by using ITA to price an itinerary that's WT+ in both directions, and then an itinerary that's CW outbound and WT+ inbound. It doesn't matter which booking classes, you just need the correct cabins. Using today's figures, the former TFC number is £456.11 and the latter is £507.61.
PETER01 and KARFA like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA
Hi, I was hoping someone could help offer some advice and the sudden avios closure has screwed me over i think.

Myself and my partner have been saving avios for alomst 2 years and we've finally saved enough between us to Thailand next year, and I have also qualified for 2x avios flight upgrade vouchers . On 1 April my partner transferred all her amex points to BA and then went to open an avios account so that we could link them to use the upgrade vouchers and there is no way to register anymore. Is anyone aware of any other way to combine our points because It seems really unfair that they’ve done this without any notice and pretty much prevented me from using my upgrade vouchers.

Thank you
David
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dai Phillips
Myself and my partner have been saving avios for alomst 2 years and we've finally saved enough between us to Thailand next year, and I have also qualified for 2x avios flight upgrade vouchers. On 1 April my partner transferred all her amex points to BA ...
What kind of upgrade vouchers have you got? Are they from Amex or a different source?

If the two of you live at the same address, then you'd qualify to form a BAEC household account. See this thread for more information, if you haven't already found it: Your guide to Household Accounts. That would take care of the question of being able to use the collective pot of Avios that you have between you, leaving only the question of whether you're disadvantaged in relation to the upgrade vouchers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.