Calling Japan, Hong Kong or US?

Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:15 am
formerly Christopher Sutton
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Calling Japan, Hong Kong or US?

Hi all, I need to book a return redemption in the next week, 4 seats across two bookings. Is anyone able to share any recent experiences of calling any of the above BA offices please? I think I’ve previously called Hong Kong when on BST which went fine. Seats were held and I paid BA UK later that day.

Many thanks, Chris

Last edited by SurreyFlightPath; Feb 12, 2018 at 11:49 am
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Is anyone able to help on this please? Many thanks in advance.
Chris
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by SurreyFlightPath
Is anyone able to help on this please? Many thanks in advance.
Chris
May help if you provide details .... From To, Dates, Class of Travel etc
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I have had no issues calling the US number which, out of hours, routes to India. I did a simple one-way Avios upgrade with no fuss, and everything was fine. The tickets haven't been re-issued yet but as the booking isn't until December I am not overly concerned.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See these threads and posts with reports from 2018:
Which is easiest for midnight bookings - Japan or US call centres?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29386766-post574.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29385144-post568.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29385365-post570.html
Reports from 2017:
BA Call Centres
Adding a return to a 241 - actual experience
Wanted - Idiots guide to 2-4-1 booking for Summer 2018
241 return booking phone number?
Adding a return to a 241: what do I say when I call?
what is best ba office to call at midnight GMT
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:19 pm

Just to add...if adding the return sector to an existing amex 241 where the inbound dates were out of range at time of booking it is now possible to book the flights online as a new one way avios booking then call BA UK office when open. Half of the avios on this new booking will then be refunded to reflect amex voucher use. The benefit of this is that there is no need to try calling open BA office in the early hours of the morning and the downside is the itinerary will be ticketed as two one way bookings. In addition the avios balance must be high enough to take a debit of double the required avios albeit for a relatively short time. May be of use for some people.

Last edited by cbagent; Feb 13, 2018 at 1:03 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Hi, does anyone know the blue exec number please for the USA? I called last night to add a return 2 for 1 booking and got through to the commercial line. By the time I spoke to the right person in Exec Club team half the seats I needed had gone so my parents now will need to travel back separately a day later.

​​​​​​​Many thanks, Chris
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cbagent
Just to add...if adding the return sector to an existing amex 241 where the inbound dates were out of range at time of booking it is now possible to book the flights online as a new one way avios booking then call BA UK office when open. Half of the avios on this new booking will then be refunded to reflect amex voucher use. The benefit of this is that there is no need to try calling open BA office in the early hours of the morning and the downside is the itinerary will be ticketed as two one way bookings. In addition the avios balance must be high enough to take a debit of double the required avios albeit for a relatively short time. May be of use for some people.
Thanks very much for that update, it's quite an important development.

Having only had one cup of coffee this morning I'm trying to work out the downsides to this approach of having a 2--4-1 split over two single bookings, which I suspect are quite small, but could it theoretically lead to paying more carrier surcharges? . The other downside would be if the trip had to be cancelled altogether then there would be 2 lots of cancellation / redeposit fees. Against that it would be easier to manipulate one of the bookings for changes and leave the other one untouched. Open jaw? I guess you have to be careful on zone selection?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks very much for that update, it's quite an important development.

Having only had one cup of coffee this morning I'm trying to work out the downsides to this approach of having a 2--4-1 split over two single bookings, which I suspect are quite small, but could it theoretically lead to paying more carrier surcharges? . The other downside would be if the trip had to be cancelled altogether then there would be 2 lots of cancellation / redeposit fees. Against that it would be easier to manipulate one of the bookings for changes and leave the other one untouched. Open jaw? I guess you have to be careful on zone selection?
I was pleasantly surprised to be able to do this a couple of months ago - I'd booked a 241 LHR-SCL, missed the return phoning up, but then booked GRU-LHR online when availability suddenly appeared later on in the day. I phoned up expecting to have to cancel and rebook the return as part of the 241 (there was spare availability), but they just refunded half of the Avios. There's no obvious sign that it's a 241 booking in MMB.

I added up the TFC and I think it's about £50 each more for two singles vs a return - there was no adjustment of those. I was happy just to accept what I had.

Not sure what will happen if I want to change the return to SCL-LHR if availability turns up, given the different zones.

Edit: I was slightly surprised to have to pay a surcharge on flights from GRU - I thought Brazil had banned then the same as Hong Kong?

Last edited by omk298; Feb 13, 2018 at 1:47 pm
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Just wanted to update the thread on my experience over the last few nights to book a JNB-LHR. I’m not sure if the revenue manager/analyst at BA is on holiday or something but booking four reward seat seats back for my parents and partner over the last few nights has been stressful to say the least!

I checked the Friday flights on Sunday night (12am) and there were 2J on each flight (BA 56 and 54) which was in-line with previous weeks’ availability on Fridays. I was keen to hold out for the Saturday return where in previous weeks there has been 9+ In J and a couple of F seats on the later 54. I set my alarm for just before 12 on the Monday night and - nope only 2J on each flight! I immediately called the US number and after a few minutes spoke to a friendly lady in Deli. My partner and I need to be back at work on the Monday so I prioritised our booking. We’re planning to travel back from Kruger during the day so I was keen to secure the later 54 service. Whilst covering off the security checks, Sod’s law one seat became booked on the later flight! Damn! I couldn’t believe my luck. I then proceeded to book the earlier 56 service for my partner and I, leaving my 60 year old parents in J’berg for the night.

The next day I prepared for my call with my parents thinking of how I could paint a glossy picture and benefits of the fact that they would be spending a night in J’berg afternoon all! They were actually fine about it.

Anyway, last night (having learnt my lesson on calling well in advance prior to 12am) My call was answered by a lovely chap in Delhi who was so so helpful and obliging in understanding and helping me to book my parent’s flight. We spoke about anything and everything whilst we waited for the clock to bong 12! I’m so pleased I managed to speak to someone so helpful because (after 2 nights of it) once again there were only 2J on each flight. His name was was Amit and he immediately secured me 2 seats for them and they are now all booked. Once again though I was surprised as previous Sunday flights have seen 7+ seats available in F but of course not the week I wanted. The only thing I can think of (apart from the revenue analyst being on holiday!) is that it is the week before half term and whilst it’s still an off peak day, BA are there to make money.

I also wanted to emphasise the point that there can be good BA customer service out of hours and whilst I know everyone has their opinions on outsourced foreign call centres, there are plenty of occasions when they come up trumps!

For info I called the US number and followed the voice prompts.

Chris

Last edited by SurreyFlightPath; Feb 14, 2018 at 7:21 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.