Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA current newsflash here / London Cancellation list for Tuesday here
Rebooking policy for operating flights on Monday and Tuesday here / EC261 main thread here
ba.com/helpme one stop shop on BA.com giving lots of advice and pointers to where to claim expenses.
For EC261, delay/cancellation compensation is not payable for this event but BA is still liable for the Regulation's “Right to care” provisions. Refreshments can be claimed after 2 hours of delay departing (3 hours for flights longer than LHR-Rome, 4 hours for longhaul), £200 guideline for hotels - OK to book your own and charge back. £50 guideline for taxis. Meals, drinks and communication costs are also covered. Keep / photo receipts. If on a Buy on Board aircraft, use Avios to buy items - it will be faster to refund. For missing baggage, it's OK to claim essential items, such as clothing, toiletries. Keep / photo the receipts.
Print Wikipost

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA is free to set some guidelines as to hotel costs, meals and so on. However this has no basis in law. Now £300 for a hotel seems a lot to me, and personally I would move to somewhere more cost effective, but BA actually can't restrict the amount spent to £200 unless it is prepared to put in the effort to book hotels for its passengers. If a claim was made for £300 BA would readily pay £200 but you probably would need to put in considerable effort to get the rest. I do know of cases where they have (reluctantly) paid more.
Fully agree. The default solution is that airlines have a duty of care and should organise accommodation and meals where specified by EC261. If they do not, the passenger is well within his/her rights to book a convenient alternative. I wouldn't book the Ritz and try to charge BA £1000/night, but take a decently cost-effective option in or around the airport. With the current levels of disruptions prices are bound to increase significantly, and if the best you can find is over £200, just do a printout of a hotel search engine to show that this was the option that you had and insist that BA reimburse what you paid.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I assume that there is no general problem in Stockholm and it is only LHR which causes the issue for you? I think that as advised above, in such cases, I would encourage anyone to book the cheapest alternative and claim back indeed. EC261 suggests "rerouting on the first available flight" without specifying that it has to be on the same carrier so if the airline cannot accommodate and do this directly, I would personally do it myself and push for reimbursement. That said, having a good travel insurance 'in case' is always recommended and would reimburse the cost of the new flights following cancellation due to weather almost invariably.
Thank you and to CWS for you help. After a long wait on the phone to BA in Bremen we manage to get two Club seats on the BA783 tonight. But it’s already been delayed 90 mins due to the outbound 782 being delayed... fingers crossed
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:45 am

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
BA2762/2763 cancelled

LGW-AMS vv

weather Amsterdam (Netherlands) at the moment is really a mess, wind is also picking up.

safe travels everyone.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by AceCobra1
CX lounge is so much better than the BA lounge. The staff are very welcoming too unlike the BA staff
Sssshhhh. Don't tell everyone. It will be packed

But yes, the CX lounge staff is extremely welcoming + no rustling with crisp bags.

Originally Posted by Trent900Powered
Flight yesterday cancelled, and subsequently directed to sort ourselves out as BA had run out of hotels. Headed to central London, and got a decent rate for a hotel at £195, tried without success to rebook flights, so gave up. Have now been automatically rebooked, but flying TOMORROW, so 2 days late. Subsequently need another night at a hotel. The same hotel is now £300!! I'll be damned if I'm moving.
The issue's obviously of what is reasonable. If there are dozens of hotels at lower prices, then it seems unreasonable to book such an expensive one. On the other hand, you could make the case that you booked the first night without knowing how long you'll be staying and the subsequent rebooking required an additional night and that it would be unreasonable to move across town just to be in the cheaper hotel as it would add further inconvenience to your delay.

With regard to flight cancellations ex LHR/LCY, I've never had any issues to be reimbursed by the airlines (be it BA, WX or other ones) though in most cases my flight was among the first to be cancelled and I'd just book the cheapest chain hotel within 3 (maximum 5) miles of the airport. By 8 pm, it was impossible to book anything around LHR besides some B&Bs with no public transport options available. The Crowne Plaza was around 150£ for the night when I last saw availability. Colleagues of mine (that don't have a flat/house in London) headed to places they know: Some stayed at the Hilton Bankside. Others stayed at other Hilton properties.

Originally Posted by stewaran
So may be worth checking non-BA options if your keen to get going
I'd think that most here would do just that while still queuing somewhere waiting to be rebooked (1 phone looking at flight availability and a second one on hold with BA).

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA is free to set some guidelines as to hotel costs, meals and so on. However this has no basis in law. Now £300 for a hotel seems a lot to me...
IMO depends on the dates. Hotel rates around very busy weeks can reach those levels fairly quickly. Many hotels in the city can be dirt cheap on weekends but be significantly more expensive during the week. I suspect that Trent900Powered stays either close to the City (either in the City or on the south bank across from the city) or around Canary Wharf, where prices can indeed increase dramatically on weekdays.

At the end of the day, the question is whether one is ready to sue BA over the incurred cost. If they just refuse to pay more than 200£/night, then you'll have to get a lawyer involved. Personnally I'd think that it seems unreasonable to me for a court to say that an overall hotel cost of 500£ for two nights would be unreasonable. That's a mere 50£/night more.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:51 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Foolishly believed the BBC doom about icy roads, so am now at T5 2.5 hrs before departure - a record for me at LHR. Landslide was busy wth queues everywhere, but security quick and airside feels full but not chaotic. Lots of red on the screens!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:57 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:02 am
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: BA
It will be done at the earliest opportunity usually overnight so I would keep checking. However many aircraft operated back to Heathrow empty today to enable a smoother operation for tomorrow.
PETER01 and markle like this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by markle
As someone facing a 4:45am taxi to LHR tomorrow, allowing extra time in case of traffic / security queues, any idea of when BA will publish cancellations for tomorrow?

Would rather not have such an early start only to find my flight's been canned.
Likewise I have a very early start and 3 flights tomorrow they are still scheduled at the moment. I would just say keep checking on your flight status on ba.com regularly and be in a position you can look at alternatives as early as possible. I'd imagine the situation is a bit more fluid now, well better than it was.
markle likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Fully agree. The default solution is that airlines have a duty of care and should organise accommodation and meals where specified by EC261. If they do not, the passenger is well within his/her rights to book a convenient alternative. I wouldn't book the Ritz and try to charge BA £1000/night, but take a decently cost-effective option in or around the airport. With the current levels of disruptions prices are bound to increase significantly, and if the best you can find is over £200, just do a printout of a hotel search engine to show that this was the option that you had and insist that BA reimburse what you paid.
The problem with days like today is also that hotels shoot their prices up. Hilton at Schipol was looking for £450 for a room tonight (I was looking after my AMS-LHR was cancelled). So demand and current environment play a huge part in this. 1/3 of AMS flights cancelled today - that's a lot of people looking for hotel rooms in the near vicinity.

Lets hope the early evening flight to LHR tomorrow fares a little better than today...
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR & BAEC Lifetime Gold, VS Red, EK Blue, HH Lifetime Diamond, IHG Gold, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by PETER01
Likewise I have a very early start and 3 flights tomorrow they are still scheduled at the moment. I would just say keep checking on your flight status on ba.com regularly and be in a position you can look at alternatives as early as possible. I'd imagine the situation is a bit more fluid now, well better than it was.
I also had an early start tomorrow, but decided to proactively cancel and get a full refund, and change to the Eurostar instead. The weather for Brussels looks pretty bad overnight with more snow forecast. The trains are packed as it is.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Originally Posted by mrvincent
The problem with days like today is also that hotels shoot their prices up. Hilton at Schipol was looking for £450 for a room tonight (I was looking after my AMS-LHR was cancelled). So demand and current environment play a huge part in this. 1/3 of AMS flights cancelled today - that's a lot of people looking for hotel rooms in the near vicinity.

Lets hope the early evening flight to LHR tomorrow fares a little better than today...
Hope so too as I am rebooked onto the BA 441 tomorrow. The weather is really bad with heavy snowfall, so not sure how travel will be tomorrow. Fingers crossed I guess.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Sorry my error - that was yesterday 178 diverted to Dublin, looks like today was fine!

Last edited by dwugson; Dec 11, 2017 at 10:19 am Reason: Correction
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:07 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by dwugson
Somewhat surprised to see that BA 178 is diverted to Dublin. Thought conditions were improving at Heathrow.
clear and dry at LHR right now. T5C is spookily quiet, just a YYZ (delayed from 11:40) closing up, and then JNB and HKG - never seen it so quiet
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
Trying to help some friends stuck in LHR where they have been told they can't get to their luggage during a long delay (they are not rebooked yet). Is there any way to insists on getting the luggage out? And if so, who would they need to speak to?
Unlikely I would say, or even "that's not going to happen", there are now tens of thousands of bags in Heathrow and a warehouse nearby. They are already shifting them on to their correct destinations, but the ability of the system to extract a couple of bags for individual travellers was probably lost lunchtime on Sunday.

Originally Posted by WorldLux
IMO depends on the dates. Hotel rates around very busy weeks can reach those levels fairly quickly. Many hotels in the city can be dirt cheap on weekends but be significantly more expensive during the week. I suspect that Trent900Powered stays either close to the City (either in the City or on the south bank across from the city) or around Canary Wharf, where prices can indeed increase dramatically on weekdays.
Yes, but we know the date here, and at the time of posting the Holiday Inn "Kensington Forum" (actually Gloucester Road) rooms were going for £135 and currently £145. AMS would be another matter, but hotel rates are below normal in London overall. Now in some cases someone may take the view that they're OK to pay the extra, but I'd rather urge caution on this occasion.

Originally Posted by markle
As someone facing a 4:45am taxi to LHR tomorrow, allowing extra time in case of traffic / security queues, any idea of when BA will publish cancellations for tomorrow?
I'm seeing cancellations in BA.com/arrdep already, though nothing like the rate of today, thankfully. AMS remains a bad idea. If it's still in the schedule by say 20:00 hrs tonight I would imagine they'll make an effort to get you to your destination (unless it's the Low Countries that is).
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
Wow that YYZ flight had quite the delay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.