Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA current newsflash here / London Cancellation list for Tuesday here
Rebooking policy for operating flights on Monday and Tuesday here / EC261 main thread here
ba.com/helpme one stop shop on BA.com giving lots of advice and pointers to where to claim expenses.
For EC261, delay/cancellation compensation is not payable for this event but BA is still liable for the Regulation's “Right to care” provisions. Refreshments can be claimed after 2 hours of delay departing (3 hours for flights longer than LHR-Rome, 4 hours for longhaul), £200 guideline for hotels - OK to book your own and charge back. £50 guideline for taxis. Meals, drinks and communication costs are also covered. Keep / photo receipts. If on a Buy on Board aircraft, use Avios to buy items - it will be faster to refund. For missing baggage, it's OK to claim essential items, such as clothing, toiletries. Keep / photo the receipts.
Print Wikipost

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I am waiting for a call back from AA, that is who initially took my money for this ticket. I cannot get thru to BA but I have been unable to find anyway to get from London to Brussels tomorrow in time for the start of my mid day meetings. BA have not rebook that cancelled segment or given me any indication they plan to help me out, that segment just disappeared from MMB. It actually doesn’t look like there is anyway to get to Brussels tomorrow at all, even late at night. At this point I am lookong for flights back home to the US and plan to ask AA to designate this a trip in vain and refund my money.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
.....while dreaming of building snowmen with their kids.
You’d struggle to make a snowman with what little snow that fell at Heathrow today.

Clearly staff are suffering as well, but that’s exactly why it is in their interests, as much as passengers, that somebody should be held accountable. Despite a 300 page report after 2010’s Snowmaggedon, the BA customer experience today seems very similar. HAL bore the brunt of criticism last time, it will be interesting to see where the blame lies this time.

as a piece of Critical National Infrastructure, a trip in front of a parliamentary select committee for Alex & his senior management buffoons would seem like a good starting point.

Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:15 pm

Simon Calder now reporting on the BA LHR chaos: British Airways: 50,000 passengers stranded after de-icing meltdown at Heathrow | The Independent

Rough estimates of the numbers affected (c-w-s could no doubt calculate it with much greater precision):

The Independent has calculated 27,000 BA passengers are stranded in London, a further 20,000 stuck in European airports, and another 3,000 at airports elsewhere in the UK and neighbouring countries after their flights to Heathrow were diverted.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: BAEC
Colleagues were on the SOF-LHR today which was delayed 7hrs but I understand arrived eventually.

I’m supposed to be on the same ba891 tomorrow so let’s see....a colleague is also doing the outbound lhr-sof so hopefully I can get some real time info from him. If he gets to LHR from his house up the m40!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by stephem
I am waiting for a call back from AA, that is who initially took my money for this ticket. I cannot get thru to BA but I have been unable to find anyway to get from London to Brussels tomorrow in time for the start of my mid day meetings. BA have not rebook that cancelled segment or given me any indication they plan to help me out, that segment just disappeared from MMB. It actually doesn’t look like there is anyway to get to Brussels tomorrow at all, even late at night. At this point I am lookong for flights back home to the US and plan to ask AA to designate this a trip in vain and refund my money.
There are Prem seats on the 06.47 Eurostar which will give you plenty of time to get to your meetings. Why not just take that?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, UA Platinum, AA Gold
I had luck getting through to AA within about 3 minutes as I have a similar situation. Unfortunately I was advised they could do little more than tell me availability if I wanted to retain my booked class of service and try to get where I need to go as the ticket was "locked" by BA. I'm just hoping after being on hold for one hour, being disconnected, and another hour on hold that someone will be able to book me on the interline I was able to find for myself and my colleagues... I'd cancel and book it myself but I'm restricted from doing so by my employer.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
There are Prem seats on the 06.47 Eurostar which will give you plenty of time to get to your meetings. Why not just take that?
whatever Availability you might have seen is fleeting, I have logged on and done searches repeatedly and even gotten as far as being at the credit card page and having inventory disappear. If you go back and find that now it’s still there I’d be very surprised. My plan right out of the gate was to take euro star, but I just haven’t been able to get anything booked
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:39 pm

whatever Availability you might have seen is fleeting, I have logged on and done searches repeatedly and even gotten as far as being at the credit card page and having inventory disappear. If you go back and find that now it’s still there I’d be very surprised. My plan right out of the gate was to take euro star, but I just haven’t been able to get anything booked
Have you tried booking on voyages-sncf.com? That was showing 'last seats left' when I checked a few mins ago.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:49 pm

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
another cancellation update.

BA428 LHR-AMS
BA429 AMS-LHR

BA438 LHR-AMS
BA439 AMS-LHR

New flight BA567 AMS-LHR 09.00 - 09.25
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Simon Calder now reporting on the BA LHR chaos: British Airways: 50,000 passengers stranded after de-icing meltdown at Heathrow The Independent

Rough estimates of the numbers affected (c-w-s could no doubt calculate it with much greater precision):
Plus the passengers stuck in places like YYZ,AUS,SFO,IAD etc. While I agree that LHR can't be run like big snow airports like YYZ,ORD,MSP,DEN and Scandinavian ones how much does each one of these total gong shows cost BA?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA Blue :(
BA179 takeoff at 00:24 due JFK 2:20. That will be fun for the passengers.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:19 pm

Have you tried booking on voyages-sncf.com? That was showing 'last seats left' when I checked a few mins ago.
I dont think that is real time inventory. I dont have a UK address so couldnt book on that exact site, but when I clicked on a button in the top right corner and changed to US and "bought" a ticket it said it had not been confirmed and that they would process the ticket request within 2 days. I highly doubt there is any real inventory and now this is one more thing I will have to chase to cancel ;-)
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just to add to the diversion list, NCL - which had all of its afternoon departures to LHR cancelled - has nevertheless received BA's services from:
BA895 KEF
BA799 HEL
BA903 FRA (a 767 which arrived 8 hours after its scheduled departure)
BA641 ATH
Not sure how they are going to deal with this tomorrow, but 4 of BA's 7 NCL-LHR scheduled services have been cancelled, though one looks like the slot sitting service.
Apparently BOH has been getting more diversions, the (potentially) most recent landing around 0:30. I am not sure it's another BA service, but I learned of it because the driver was being called by his dispatcher desperate to get him back roundabout 20 minutes before dropping me off at my hotel in London (long story). According to driver there were diversions going to BOH all day today.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by jessicaNWL
Hello all! Was on BA12 SIN-LHR sched. 11 Dec 23:15. Luckily a bout of insomnia had me up at 4:45a in Singapore and saw the dreaded red bar in the app: cancelled. Called the regular hotline in USA as that was the only one open so early, and had a waiting time of over an hour quoted. Called the silver hotline in the USA and was helped in minutes, rebooked on BA16. Lucky for me I think - a lot of people will be disappointed.
Also, call centre staff deserve major thanks and kudos for being amazingly nice and helpful even though my guy on the phone reported that a lot of people were freaking out at them.
Anyone know the likelihood of BA cancelling BA16 as well? I think it comes via SYD, so they must need to get it in?
No problem with today's BA16 as that is coming from Sydney - and in fact last night's BA15 did get away so no problem for Tuesday either

Singapore isn't too bad for a cancellation- 10s of ways to get you home one stop even if SQ isn't a direct option and plenty of staff to assist. But good result getting on the BA16!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Found out 20-21 hours prior to departure that my flight today 11 Dec (BA0633) got cancelled. And by find out, I mean I checked the app myself as no email or text has been received yet.

I managed to get through to a call centre tonight (assume in India?) where I was told they cannot rebook me on A3 or EZ (or any non OW airline) over the phone, they couldn't reroute me on OW flights until 12/12 (Club or otherwise) and that really I should head to the airport (at 1 am local time!) to ask the airport staff to rebook me on A3 (or call A3/EZ to ask them to book me on their flight as a cancelled BA passenger!).

After having been stranded in Florence in November 2015 during the couple of days of mass cancellations due to fog, where I faced a Sisyphian loop of BA outright refusing to assist me in any meaningful way and passed me on to the locally contracted staff who passed me back on to BA customer service and so on for 48 hours, I figured that it's best to just go ahead and book myself with another airline.

Hedged my bets by booking an A3 economy ticket as the very sympathetic agent said that availability was somewhat limited.

A few years ago I would have assumed being a club passenger with gold status would have meant something but really these days the service is on par with Ryanair.
shefgab and Silver Fox like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.