Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

young children given seats away from parents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

young children given seats away from parents

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by wantmymoneyback
rather not share online- suffice to say they do not meet requirements.
Well it's not going to turn out this way on the flight itself, unless there is some other unstated factor. If you call up you can resolve it, and probably faster than participating in this thread. You just got an uninformed agent the first time, that's all.
deeruck and bisonrav like this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Have you tried calling ba again as suggested up thread?
my wife is waiting for a call back
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Collierkr
ok so does BA guarantee all will be sitting together or is it a 2x2 thing?
2+2 or 1+3 are both possible. As is all four together.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:52 am

we are spread across rows 13,14 and 15
Don't worry, it will get fixed at check-in.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SteveF
2+2 or 1+3 are both possible. As is all four together.
As mentioned earlier all we need is 1 adult per child, however for the sake of the other passengers my argument is BA are better giving the children the middle 2 seats with an adult either side.

1+3 = 1 very happy parent!!

Please note many of my comments have been slightly in jest and we are responsible adults and will not expect other passengers to look after our children...... Probably/maybe
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by benjai
Why is there even a debate on this? Policy clearly states that 1 adult will be sat next to 1 young child. OP is not asking for all 4 to be sat together, just for them to follow policy. Why are people saying OP should have paid/is too cheap?
Because they don't want children in business in the first place and anything that discourages breeder parents from bringing their offspring is fine by them.
chrisboote likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Can anyone clarify what counts as "next to" in the CW ying-yang configuration. I know on a short-haul flight, as has been mentioned upthread, it could mean in front/behind/across aisle as well as directly by one's side.

Assuming a 14F/48J config, it seems to me that if we stick someone in e.g. 14A then:

- 13A could count by virtue of being directly in front (and I mean in front in terms of position in the aircraft, not the way 14A is facing )
- 15A could count by virtue of being directly behind
- 14B could count by virtue they are sharing the divider
- 15B could count by virtue that 14A steps out over them

It might be a bit of a stretch to say 13B is "next to" but perhaps it counts? But depending on the interpretation, 14A could have up to 4 other seats that BA consider meet the requirements. I wonder if any experts know the exact definition for the CW layout?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Traveling LGW- TPA on Saturday with wife and 2 children ages 5 and 3 in J. DId not pay to reserve seats.

We have been given 4 random seats in the cabin. Wife called up to confirm 1x child will be with each adult and was told not the case as we had not paid for seat selection.

Have BA gone mad??? I presume by law they have to sit each child with an adult?

If not I wish the stranger who gets my 3yo good luck and enjoy your flight.....
Saturday is a long way off so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:43 am

I don't understand why BA's system doesn't automatically allocate seats as soon as the booking's confirmed, when families book. It's very obvious from the booking that it includes children, so why doesn't it quietly allocate in the background (i.e. not telling the passengers what their seats are, so they could still pay and book seats they most want, if required), and therefore avoid this kind of problem waaaay down the line? Especially if it had an algorithm that selected the less popular, but still seated together, seats. Then everyone wins.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)

1+3 = 1 very happy parent!!
Agreed, but also a legitimate, legal possibility that you should be prepared for.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by kb9522
All because the parent was too cheap to pay for seat selection

Don't be rude, not everyone can/wants to just throw away 300 GBP.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
Doesn't it benefit everyone in the cabin if families are kept together. Any 3+1 or 2+2 configuration will inevitably involve a certain amount of back and forth to confer, swapping so childcare is equally shared or because child wants other parent. At least that's been my observation. This can be distracting for other passengers especially on a night flight.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by benjai
Why is there even a debate on this? Policy clearly states that 1 adult will be sat next to 1 young child. OP is not asking for all 4 to be sat together, just for them to follow policy. Why are people saying OP should have paid/is too cheap?
It does? I can't find it. The advertising clearly states this... but it doesn't look like the CoC does. The only thing BA is really obligated to comply to is the CoC.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by HilFly
When this happened to a friend of mine, he offered to leave the diaper bag with the guy sitting next to his toddler. The guy suddenly decided that he would offer to switch seats.@:-)
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Charming - a nice dose of passive aggressive bullying to get his own way
Yeah right. As if it actually happened. These are not things that happen in real life.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:12 am

wow.. i have never seen a more judgmental bunch.. first off, lets forget the fact that it is ludicrous to charge for seat assignment for business class and simply focus on what the OP is ENTITLED to. BA clearly states that children will sit with parents. so for all of you idiots, yes idiots, who keep talking about how cheap the OP is, etc you really need to get your heads out of your... you know.. so BA is racing to the bottom and somebody (who paid for business class on an inferior product; i've flow the LGW-TPA route many times and it is always the oldest plane) is simply trying to get what is entitled to him and he is being chastised and called cheap?? am i missing something here??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.