Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

young children given seats away from parents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Traveling LGW- TPA on Saturday with wife and 2 children ages 5 and 3 in J. DId not pay to reserve seats.

We have been given 4 random seats in the cabin. Wife called up to confirm 1x child will be with each adult and was told not the case as we had not paid for seat selection.

Have BA gone mad??? I presume by law they have to sit each child with an adult?

If not I wish the stranger who gets my 3yo good luck and enjoy your flight.....
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Hang up and call again.

CAA guidance is here: https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/On-...ng-allocation/

Note that it is guidance, not law, albeit there is a safety implication.

Failing that, try again to swap at check in, at the airport, and on board.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:02 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Are they seated a long way from the parents?

Ultimately this will get sorted one way or another, an airline is not going to make itself open to any responsibility for anything that happens to a child that they seated away from its parents - they will make sure seating gets moved around to accommodate.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
BA.com is clear children should not be allocated a seat away from at least one adult in the booking. As suggested by Cymro, call again.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ving-your-seat

Make sure your family sits together
To get the best choice of seats and make sure your family sits together, it’s best to reserve your seats in advance, for which you might have to pay.

If you don’t reserve your seats in advance, we’ll do our best to seat your family together a few days before your flight departs. However, the seat selection may be limited at that time and your seats may be split across different rows or the aisle. We will make sure each child under 12 years sits next to an adult from your booking but children over 12 years are booked as an adult in our system and may sit separately.

Seats are free when you travel with an infant (under 2 years) who won't be travelling in a seat of their own. You can choose a seat for you and everyone in your booking, free of charge, as soon as you've made your booking (except for bookings of over 9 people).
NoTravelIsFree likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Bear in mind that in BA speak “next to” also includes aisle seats across from each other, and used to also include two aisle seats line astern in shorthaul config, although I’m not sure if this is still the case.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:20 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=V10;29132647]Are they seated a long way from the parents?

Yes- Few rows and opposite side of cabin. In reality BA should be trying to put the 2 kids in the middle seats with an adult either side.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:23 am

Assuming this is the BA2167 - that's a pretty astonishingly full flight for Saturday:

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Seat Map Search:
Departing LGW on 09/12/17 for TPA
Flying BA flight 2167 in Business/Club

A       E   F       K   
1       X       X   X       X       
2       X       X   X       X       
3       X                   X       
4       X       X   X       X       
        A       E   F       K   

A   B       D   E   F   G       J   K   
10      -   -       +   -   -   +       -   -       
11      -   -       -   -   -   +       -   X       
12  W   -   -       -   -   -   +       -   -   W   
13  W   -   -       -   -   -   +       -   -   W   
14  W   -   -       -   -   -   -       -   -   W   
15  W   X   -       -   X   -   -       -   X   W   
        A   B       D   E   F   G       J   K   

Seats
Premium Only             P                        
Available                +                        
Handicap-Accessible      H                        
Paid & Premium           #                        
Occupied                 -                        
Blocked                  X                        
Lavatory                 L                        
Paid                     $                        

Wing                     W                        
Upper Deck               U
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
In F, it includes seats directly behind - for example, 1K and 2K for children aged two and above, which seems ridiculous to me.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Could you not just have paid rather than wait to have other people moved to suit you?
SK, sgm, deeruck and 16 others like this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by skipness1E
Could you not just have paid rather than wait to have other people moved to suit you?
Given BA have an operating requirement to sit them together - why should they pay?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by skipness1E
A passenger should not have to pay to ensure that an airline is following its own policies.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Silver
Saw it happen coming back from Madrid this summer. Mum and 2 boys a Little older than yours but not much in completely different rows and blocks. Crew and other passengers worked it out with a couple of swaps.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Paying for seat selection feel a little Easy Jet and totally unnecessary when BA have a policy...... I would be interested to know how many leisure flyers actually pay for seat selection.

My wife tweeted BA. Got an instant call back and was told they will arrange. They have the first 4 rows blocked for situations like this. Is that F? Used as overflow if oversold and operated as J cabin?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Good for you, and no way should you pay, as suggested by another poster, when you have T&Cs to confirm that at least each one child will be with one adult. The airlines are quick to roll them out in their own favour
wantmymoneyback likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wantmymoneyback
Paying for seat selection feel a little Easy Jet and totally unnecessary when BA have a policy...... I would be interested to know how many leisure flyers actually pay for seat selection.

My wife tweeted BA. Got an instant call back and was told they will arrange. They have the first 4 rows blocked for situations like this. Is that F? Used as overflow if oversold and operated as J cabin?
Looking at the seat map, it is. Although I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying that it's used specifically for situations like this... if allocated seats in an unused F cabin, there's a risk you'll automagically be moved back to where you were.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.