Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

young children given seats away from parents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

young children given seats away from parents

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by MPH1980
Given BA have an operating requirement to sit them together - why should they pay?
Because the rest of us do?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SCSA
But its stated that they don't have to pay on the website. Whether you agree with this or not, it is stated. Some of us have status or full Y tickets and don't pay for selection, there are many exceptions and a child sitting next to an adult is just one of them.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:59 am

The years of flying with my children under 12, not once did I pay for seat selection - why would I if BA policy is to seat children next to parents. never had a problem, generally BA get it right - they know who the under 12s are and who they are flying with and pre-allocate accordingly. You get the seat you are given, might be windows and aisles, might be aisles and middles but that's the lottery if you choose not to pay

As to what happens if for whatever reason allocation goes wrong, I've seen it happen to others twice and Adult Pax will be moved to accommodate (once notified in the lounge and the other on board, and it was a fait a complis not a request).
bisonrav likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: EK,BA,QR
This is a hypothetical situation in all reality. I very much doubt it will happen.
However, to avoid stress, worry and anguish, really, I'd pay for the seats for more or less complete peace of mind for my family's sake. It's not worth the worry otherwise. Yes, BA should etc etc. - but I'd want to be in control of what I do and not leave it to BA. After all, none of us is actually guaranteed pretty much anything on a flight, not just parents with children.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC
So if I pay for my seat am I then made to feel like a heel if I don't want to move so a parent and child can sit together?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I feel like the relevant information from BA is
If you don’t reserve your seats in advance, we’ll do our best to seat your family together a few days before your flight departs. However, the seat selection may be limited at that time and your seats may be split across different rows or the aisle. We will make sure each child under 12 years sits next to an adult from your booking but children over 12 years are booked as an adult in our system and may sit separately.
From https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ving-your-seat

So, contact BA a few days before your flight departs if your children are not yet allocated seats near (according to the BA definition) the adults. Implicitly, they will not allocate you such seats more than a few days before departure.

Much of the posturing and aggression in above posts is not needed.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by wantmymoneyback
Regarding the 4 seats in a row- my comments relate to the fact that it would be better on the other people flying if kids are in the middle pair with an adult either side so the kids have a floor space and are not infringing on anyone else’s space/isle. This doesn’t make my flight easier was more thinking of the other passengers around us.
Can you perhaps clarify what seats you currently believe to be allocated to your family? I suspect a lot of the discussion here is beyond hypothetical.
offtothehills and KARFA like this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flatlander
I feel like the relevant information from BA is

From https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ving-your-seat

So, contact BA a few days before your flight departs if your children are not yet allocated seats near (according to the BA definition) the adults. Implicitly, they will not allocate you such seats more than a few days before departure.

Much of the posturing and aggression in above posts is not needed.
Exactly. I quoted the same about two posts in to the thread. Unfortunately the whole thread seems to have taken a number of very weird tangents which are somewhat irrelevant to the OP's initial question!
T8191 and bisonrav like this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:33 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
So if I pay for my seat am I then made to feel like a heel if I don't want to move so a parent and child can sit together?
Realistically, I would think that BA will do what it can to accommodate your reserved seating if at all possible. However, it's still covered by its Ts and Cs so you're not being "made to feel like a heel", you're complying with conditions that you've agreed to.

Originally Posted by BA website
Sometimes we may need to change reserved seats, even after you have boarded the aircraft. Although we will do all possible to prevent this, it might be unavoidable for a number of reasons including a change of aircraft due to operational, safety or security reasons, so we cannot guarantee your reserved seat.
If you’ve paid to reserve a seat, and we're unable to offer you that seat or a suitable alternative when you board your flight, you can claim a refund.

Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: LH HON
Request a refund. Or fly private plane.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:45 am

According to your profile - you don't - according to that - you are firmly in the list of people who don't pay.

There are a long list of exemptions to having to pay for seat selection - including (but not limited to): Gold, Silver, Bronze (and all their one world equivalents), disabled people, group bookings, corporate bookings where free seat selection is thrown in ...

Are you begrudging everyone on that list who wants to sit together with someone else but not pay ... this is all operational procedure after all?

And let's not forget we're talking about CW here ... 1 CW return and a semi-cheap domestic or European short haul and you've got free seat selection at 7 days out.
englisha and msm2000uk like this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:17 am
Original Poster

we are spread across rows 13,14 and 15
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
we are spread across rows 13,14 and 15
Which seats? It's quite possible to be spread across those rows and still meet the requirement that each child in the booking occupies a seat next to an adult in the booking.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:32 am
Original Poster

rather not share online- suffice to say they do not meet requirements.

Been an interesting read. All I can say is if we are left with these seats then I feel sorry for whoever gets the 3yo as a neighbour and for the FA trying to instruct him to put on his seat-belt/stay seated.

I really do not think it is being unreasonable to expect to be sat next to a child below the ages of 12 as per BAs terms.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
rather not share online- suffice to say they do not meet requirements.

Been an interesting read. All I can say is if we are left with these seats then I feel sorry for whoever gets the 3yo as a neighbour and for the FA trying to instruct him to put on his seat-belt/stay seated.

I really do not think it is being unreasonable to expect to be sat next to a child below the ages of 12 as per BAs terms.
Have you tried calling ba again as suggested up thread?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.