Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

young children given seats away from parents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

young children given seats away from parents

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by kb9522
I can't believe some feel it's acceptable to dump their kid on a stranger and expect them to take care of it. All because the parent was too cheap to pay for seat selection
Why would you pay for something you can get for free under BA's T&Cs?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by simons1
seriously that's what i'm not understanding... everybody seems to be fine with BA charging for something they shouldn't but they have a problem with the OP simply trying to get what BA says he gets for free?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: EK,BA,QR
I think that this thread is reaching, if not reached, the end of it's useful life. The same facts and fallacies are being regurgitated time and again. As has been said before, it'll be alright on the day. Looks like you'll have to wait till then, unless you pay to reserve. I hope that you all have a lovely flight with the wee ones.
omaralt, ahmetdouas and bisonrav like this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by omaralt
seriously that's what i'm not understanding... everybody seems to be fine with BA charging for something they shouldn't but they have a problem with the OP simply trying to get what BA says he gets for free?
Originally Posted by simons1
Where is it in the CoC? I can't find it.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Don't be rude, not everyone can/wants to just throw away 300 GBP.

Then they shouldn't. Nor should they complain when they get what they paid for which is nothing.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Then they shouldn't. Nor should they complain when they get what they paid for which is nothing.
The great thing is that it works 99.9pc of the time - kids get properly and appropriately seated with their parents, with no fee. Hooray - long may it continue!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Don't be rude, not everyone can/wants to just throw away 300 GBP.
Who said anything about throwing it away? OP wanted a specific seating arrangement... he has to pay for it. It's not like I'm telling OP they would have to do a raindance while ceremoniously tossing the money into a bonfire to get his desired seating arrangement.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
But quite clearly, what they paid for is in accordance with the terms and conditions of carriage - i.e. that children will be given need-based, non-changeable accommodation near their parents. This does not appear to have happened - i.e., they did not get what they paid for (and they paid potentially quite a lot of money for the actual sets!)
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
But quite clearly, what they paid for is in accordance with the terms and conditions of carriage - i.e. that children will be given need-based, non-changeable accommodation near their parents.
Where?

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ns-of-carriage
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by KARFA
Exactly. I quoted the same about two posts in to the thread. Unfortunately the whole thread seems to have taken a number of very weird tangents which are somewhat irrelevant to the OP's initial question!
Indeed, I was trying to repeat more clearly the suggestion to contact BA. As for the rest, I felt like I was reading the AA forum on a bad day for a while :-/

Let's all back away from the realm of making up implausible, almost fantasy scenarios where one might suffer disadvantage.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I wish I could say I'm surprised this has ballooned to 112 messages, but I know better...

To the OP, I wouldn't wait for BA to call you back, as that pretty much never happens in a timely manner unless you are GGL or traveling in First. That said, I'm sure it will get resolved.

I'm pretty amazed how many have not picked up on the humour that was intended by several to add levity (free childcare, handing over the nappy/diaper bag, etc.).

Regarding why BA does not give free seat assignments in this scenario (unless you have status or the party has at least one traveler under age 2), it's part of their attempt to get more people to pay for seat assignments, which certainly makes them a lot of money. Though it would probably be logistically easier to block those seats earlier in the process. And the OP specifying what he thinks would be ideal does not in any way deserve criticism that they are being cheap. Seat assignment costs add up for families without status! Oh, and the reason BA does this for parties with a passenger under the age of 2 is to make sure there are enough oxygen masks to cover the infant sharing a seat with an adult.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by kb9522
Where is it in the CoC? I can't find it.
No, it isn't in theCofC. But it is clearly spelled out on the BA website, consistent withthe published guidelines of the CAA:

"We will make sure each child under 12 years sits next to an adult from your booking."
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:59 am
Formerly known as tonivitanza

Originally Posted by wantmymoneyback
Traveling LGW- TPA on Saturday with wife and 2 children ages 5 and 3 in J. DId not pay to reserve seats.

We have been given 4 random seats in the cabin. Wife called up to confirm 1x child will be with each adult and was told not the case as we had not paid for seat selection.

Have BA gone mad??? I presume by law they have to sit each child with an adult?

If not I wish the stranger who gets my 3yo good luck and enjoy your flight.....
Why on earth didn't you pay the seat selection fee? That's what you need to do.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:01 am
Formerly known as tonivitanza

So you ignored the information about seat selection, and decided that everyone else who paid for the chance to select their seat location can just get up and move to a seat they didn't prefer, so that you can sit next to your travel companions without having to pay a seat selection fee? Doesn't seem right to me. If you want or need to sit by certain people, then pay the seat selection fee. See? There. DONE.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SCToni
Why on earth didn't you pay the seat selection fee? That's what you need to do.
Because they offer it for free.....

its like saying why don’t I pay for travel on the underground for the children???? Because it’s free

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.