Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

young children given seats away from parents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

young children given seats away from parents

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
[QUOTE=TabTraveller;29133470]
Originally Posted by wantmymoneyback

Hmmm that kinda is what he is saying though?

Your friend sounds like a bit of an arse. If I happened to be sitting in a preferred window seat I'd suggest that the child and parent move elsewhere to less desirable seats if they couldn't be bothered to pay to sit together.
You're making a lot of assumptions there.
1StRanger and mikeyfly like this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Your friend sounds like a bit of an arse. If I happened to be sitting in a preferred window seat I'd suggest that the child and parent move elsewhere to less desirable seats if they couldn't be bothered to pay to sit together.
“Couldn’t be bothered to pay” really?

He shouldn’t need to pay and it’s the call centre worker who couldn’t be bothered to learn the policies and procedures.
1StRanger likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred Plus, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I appreciate this info is a bit late now, but I've never had an issue with BA waiving the fee and seating us together just after booking. It makes sense for them to do this at time of booking when cabin may be half empty, rather than waiting until closer to day of travel, or even the day of travel, when they end up having to move people who may have paid for seat selection.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Not at all- Happy to have some stranger looking after my 3yo. Possibly take him to the loo. Feed him his food- oh did I mention the allergies......... Sounds like great value for money this seat selection.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
“Couldn’t be bothered to pay” really?

He shouldn’t need to pay and it’s the call centre worker who couldn’t be bothered to learn the policies and procedures.
Are all agents blessed with seat shuffling powers? Sounds like a potential FT thread if they didn't look closely at paid seats , blocks, status, etc. Should they queue it for another team?
awayIgo likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: BAEC

Not at all- Happy to have some stranger looking after my 3yo. Possibly take him to the loo. Feed him his food- oh did I mention the allergies......... Sounds like great value for money this seat selection.
You are saying you want all four pax together. BA doesn't guarantee this unless you pay.

BA guarantees each child will be sat next to an adult. This will happen, even if last minute at the airport and with you ending up in crappy seats.

Throwing your toys out of your pram because you can't get a freebie of four seats in a row is unreasonable, which is why I'm calling you out on it. Making comments about a stranger looking after your child is very much the level of rational argument I'd expect from said toddler.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)

Nothing requires a seatmate to babysit your kid. Why do parents always assume that just because someone is sitting next to their kid that they would have to feed and take care of them too? Sorry, but there is no such obligation whilst sitting next to your child. Anytime someone uses this line on me, I show them my noise-cancelling headphones. Better to catch flies with honey...
offtothehills likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by V10
Are they seated a long way from the parents?

Ultimately this will get sorted one way or another, an airline is not going to make itself open to any responsibility for anything that happens to a child that they seated away from its parents - they will make sure seating gets moved around to accommodate.
when are people who want to fly with children going to get smart and pay up for the assigned seats??? I just don’t get this lunacy.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: IHG Gold, VS Silver, EK Silver, BA Blue
Talking

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Nothing requires a seatmate to babysit your kid. Why do parents always assume that just because someone is sitting next to their kid that they would have to feed and take care of them too? Sorry, but there is no such obligation whilst sitting next to your child. Anytime someone uses this line on me, I show them my noise-cancelling headphones. Better to catch flies with honey...
Hold on here, don’t be so dismissive.

Could be another money making scheme for BA, parents can pay to have their kids looked after by other pax. BA can share revenue 50/50 with pax offering the child care. Potentially saves on in flight entertainment/meals too as pax would be too busy with childcare, no time to relax and eat.

Last edited by Long JB; Dec 4, 2017 at 4:26 pm Reason: Typo
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Collierkr
when are people who want to fly with children going to get smart and pay up for the assigned seats??? I just don’t get this lunacy.

Why would you pay for something that you get for free according to BA policy?

I understand the case with let's say UA on basic economy where it explicitly says you are not guaranteed to sit with your kids but as said above, BA will get kids a seat with at least one adult in the same booking.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Mict
Why would you pay for something that you get for free according to BA policy?

I understand the case with let's say UA on basic economy where it explicitly says you are not guaranteed to sit with your kids but as said above, BA will get kids a seat with at least one adult in the same booking.
ok so does BA guarantee all will be sitting together or is it a 2x2 thing?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr
ok so does BA guarantee all will be sitting together or is it a 2x2 thing?
Not for the first time.

however we will make sure each child under 12 is seated with an adult from your booking
So yes, for the umpteenth time, parents are ENTITLED per BA policy to be seated together with their child under 12 without having to pay for a seat selection.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...|||||L2|||||||
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
Does anyone here seriously - and I mean *seriously* - think that someone should need to pay to be seated next to their young child? For anyone who really does think so, then you should explicitly sign up to relevant safety regs (kids oxygen masks before adults etc), and also implicitly accept to being regularly disturbed, fragments of food etc. landing on you. There's plenty of stuff the Bose QC35's won't cancel out which are much worse than not sitting in your preferred seat.
chrisny2, wyvern, englisha and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Wayland
Does anyone here seriously - and I mean *seriously* - think that someone should need to pay to be seated next to their young child? For anyone who really does think so, then you should explicitly sign up to relevant safety regs (kids oxygen masks before adults etc), and also implicitly accept to being regularly disturbed, fragments of food etc. landing on you. There's plenty of stuff the Bose QC35's won't cancel out which are much worse than not sitting in your preferred seat.
Nope. No one has said that. The OP suggested that his whole family of four ought to be seated together and this is clearly trying it on.
offtothehills likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Nope. No one has said that. The OP suggested that his whole family of four ought to be seated together and this is clearly trying it on.
and that is what I was saying should not be an expectation... all four together = no. If you want that you should pay.
nlkm9 and TabTraveller like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.