Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Newspapers: Telegraph and Mail to be removed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newspapers: Telegraph and Mail to be removed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
What is it about the Daily Mail that every time it is mentioned on the forum, it is discussed/condemned with language that’s just as hateful, prejudicial and polarising as one would (allegedly) read in the publication itself ?
So totally agree, it is a question that has bamboozled me years on this forum.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Before condemning the DM totally, do remeber that it was at the forefront of the campaign to get justice for Steven Lawrence, and took legal risks in doing so.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
What is it about the Daily Mail that every time it is mentioned on the forum, it is discussed/condemned with language that’s just as hateful, prejudicial and polarising :
British Airways have had to put up with similar for years on here.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
I like that I can take the center pages of puzzles out of the Daily Mail and put them in my handbag for moments of boredom during the journey. I am also a fan of the Telegraph puzzles but I usually save those for when I get home.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by noniron
So totally agree, it is a question that has bamboozled me years on this forum.
I suggest that you attempt to read the DM in that case, all will become clear very quickly. It's a vile publication and deserves all the flak that it gets.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Worcester
Before condemning the DM totally, do remeber that it was at the forefront of the campaign to get justice for Steven Lawrence, and took legal risks in doing so.
A point I oft make. Not a fan of the paper, but that was journalism of the highest quality.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
All papers take a Political view on stuff that they report. The Wail is normally right wing, the Grauniad is normally left wing.

The one thing that annoys me most about the Grauniad is that many of its writers, and its famous cartoonist, are property millionaires, or multi-millionaires, but insist on writing their Trotskyite drivel as though they were truly members of the Working Class. The only members of the Working Class that they come across are their servants.

The only reason I would complain about the loss of newspapers on BA flights is that we lose the ability to choose.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:47 am

I'm not a fan of either but that's beside the point.
I know the Telegraph wouldn't have disappeared in Lord King's day because I saw him in 1A on an ARN-LHR flight (jeez prob close to 20 years ago) reading it. Lord Marshall was in 1C with the Times. Not a sign of a Daily Mail anywhere though! And no circuits before landing either even though it was a Friday afternoon
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:17 am

I'm happy to see the DM go. The xenophobic tone of it of late has been horrendous. I'll miss the DT crossword. It's a thing I used to do with my Dad, when I was growing up.

OK, so he used to do it and I watched. But eventually I started to join in. Happy memories.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by simonrp84
I suggest that you attempt to read the DM in that case, all will become clear very quickly. It's a vile publication and deserves all the flak that it gets.
Actually, that is untrue, and exposes your own political position rather than a subjective analysis.

Grauniad reader perhaps?
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by AlanA
Actually, that is untrue, and exposes your own political position rather than a subjective analysis.

Grauniad reader perhaps?
Really? Even most people who's politics are aligned with the Mail can't stand it in my experience. And while people consider it a joke, unfortunately it's not a very funny one because some people actually take its bile seriously. That paper has caused genuine division in our society purely for the nefarious ends of its owner. It has absolutely no interest in whats best for Britain, only his agenda, I can't believe anyone can't see that. I know people who believe all sorts of complete nonsense about immigrants, the poor, disabled, people on benefits etc. Completely untrue, and easy to show it's factually incorrect, but it sticks and turns people against each other. Horrible. But I guess if you're a comfortable member of middle England it's easy to miss and think it's all a jolly good show. The Mail is no better than the Sun, which is at least honest about what it is. Other papers all have biases in their opinions, but tend not to source them from and appeal to the pits of humanity.

And frankly, while I'm sure this was for financial reasons, the rampant xenophobia makes it wholly unsuited for an internatonal airline representing Britain to the world. It's an embarrassment that people would come to Britain and be given the Mail.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AlanA

Grauniad reader perhaps?
Nope, this probably says more about you than me. It's easily possible to be right-wing and still despise that rag.
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
... except in the BA lounge at Gatwick South, where it is found in abundance. Make of that what you will :P
...and in the CCR today, where The Sun is accompanied by the DM, Times and FT. Personally I'd happily see all of these replaced with copies of Private Eye.
Dave_C, LochAwe and Worcester like this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t think even the Oasis of Calm (Galleries First) could be a big enough safe space for many contributors to take refuge. Perhaps before the Wing took away some room but then there’s too many people in those small spaces now and it all feels very full...
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
fin
Yup. Private Eye beats them all.
LochAwe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.