Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Newspapers: Telegraph and Mail to be removed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newspapers: Telegraph and Mail to be removed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by London_traveller
Good riddance to the Mail. A hate-filled excuse of a paper peddling misinformation and division.
Respectfully, you don’t think the hyperbole you’ve just written there is divisive?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Pretty much the full range if you go to WH Smith.
"Could I see your boarding pass please. I'm sorry sir, your airline has instructed us not to sell this to you due to their fake news reviews"
bisonrav likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by bisonrav
But to veer wildly back on topic, I love the idea of access to journals via the app on day of travel. Could see that being a useful commercial tie in too. It's a real PITA to have a newspaper in the cabin, particularly in economy. I don't think there's anything sinister behind the removal, beyond the removal of bulk distribution deals.
While I agree, the reason I take physical paper media onboard is for when the tech fails, or, on some airlines where tablets etc remain off during taking-off and landing.

The only paper read that I buy is Private Eye, but they have yet to get into the 21st century and offer offline electronic subs.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by gorps1
Judging by the number of links in FT to Mail stories, regardless of the protestations, it would seem there are a number of Mail readers here who will be impacted by this decision.
Are you serious? No-one here wants to read about division, elitism and Tory values.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The BA lounge is the only place I ever pick up a Mail or Telegraph these days, so from that point of view it was decent marketing in terms of getting people to sample them.

(You should always be willing to look through a newspaper you would refuse to buy, just to see what is being peddalled. Irrespective of whether you agree with everything it writes, and I don't - except when it is about me! - the Mail is very good at what it does. Simply compare it side by side with the Daily Express which is, politics and values aside, an appalling example of a newspaper.)

I also ended up getting a subscription to Bloomberg Businessweek after reading a few in the lounge, so the giveaways do have an impact.
Jordan D likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: Meh
Good riddance to both these publications, I will not miss them anyway.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BA235
What are we left with? Times, FT?
So long as we are left with the FT, we will all be fine.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The Mail and The Times have the advantage of the smaller [tabloid] format, which makes paper-management so much easier both in the Lounge and on-board.

I shall miss the Mail, as it's the only occasional source I have for discovering who these supposed 'celebrities' are - they don't get much coverage in The Times
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
I also ended up getting a subscription to Bloomberg Businessweek after reading a few in the lounge, so the giveaways do have an impact.
That might be true for less mainstream publications but I very much doubt that this would hold true for either the DM or the Torygraph.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:52 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
[QUOTE=Flexible preferences;29124973]Indeed, and the Mail has hardly been friendly to BA of late.

Just like this forum then 😀😀
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by CloudGazer
HfP reports that the Daily Telegraph will no longer be offered on board, at gates or in lounges with immediate effect.

From 23rd December the Daily/Sunday Mail will cease to be offered too.

http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/12...-haul-flights/

On a personal note I'm very glad to hear about the withdrawal of the hateful Mail.
well I am very disappointed tgat the great Daily Mail is being removed.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

As for print media, I know they offer the FT but I've never seen a copy of The Guardian in a BA lounge...might be nice!.
Why? Does tge lounge run out of toilet paper? That’s the only thing the Grauniad is worth using, and even then it would leave skid marks
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They do cause people to leave a hell of a mess so it's probably a good thing.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
It is very good that BA will not be giving any space to the Daily Hate Mail.

The Torygraph I can take or leave, but good riddance to the Hate Mail.
redpalmetto likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Shame about the Daily Mail, but easily addressed as the DM has one of the best websites of any print media. As an avid reader of the paper using the DM's mobile app I can still access it. It is a mistake on the airline's part and puts it in the same league as the military dictatorships which ban the paper. I take the paper's content with a grain of salt and use it to gain an indication of the mood of the people. Yes, some of the articles can be infuriating, but worse are newspapers like the Guardian with its blatant bias. The DM isn't targeting BA and a quick scan of airline articles will show that it has featured other carriers (Ryan Air, Monarch, Thompson, EasyJet) just as frequently. No one else gives the exciting details of drunken idiocy onboard the flights like the DM does.
The loss of the Telegraph is just as bad. It's one of the world's better papers even if I don't agree with some of its opinions.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.