Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG, British Airways & Niki

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
IAG can wait a couple of years and when Niki is on the rocks again, make another bid.

I don't see a bright future of high profits and expansion for Niki, and another leisure downturn or chronic competitive pressure could see them up for sale again.
From Reuters:

“We cannot help but feel a bit dismayed that while the creditors’ committee’s decision may be the most advantageous for them, they are doing the airline itself a disservice,” said Berenberg analysts in a note to clients.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
From Reuters:

“We cannot help but feel a bit dismayed that while the creditors’ committee’s decision may be the most advantageous for them, they are doing the airline itself a disservice,” said Berenberg analysts in a note to clients.
Quite so. The change of jurisdiction to Austria was also quite self-serving.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
How this decision came about does smell a little fishy, however, when Lauda Air existed many moons ago, it was one of the best airlines in Europe. The industry is very different now, but I wish Niki all the best. Competition to Lufthansa Group in VIE is very welcome.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
How this decision came about does smell a little fishy, however, when Lauda Air existed many moons ago, it was one of the best airlines in Europe. The industry is very different now, but I wish Niki all the best. Competition to Lufthansa Group in VIE is very welcome.
Lauda clearly said he regretted making Lauda Air so luxurious and would do things differently when starting Niki (v 1.0) to stay with the times. The pitch on Niki aircraft was knee crushingly bad. Don't hold your breath for Niki v 2.0...
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Lauda clearly said he regretted making Lauda Air so luxurious and would do things differently when starting Niki (v 1.0) to stay with the times. The pitch on Niki aircraft was knee crushingly bad. Don't hold your breath for Niki v 2.0...
Really? I never felt that the seat pitch on NIKI was any worse than the others. Certainly no worse than Iberia Express or Vueling.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I never really had a problem with Niki 1.0 and was a great fan of Lauda Air, but I also have no illusions here. The market has moved on and apparently passengers make their travel decisions based on price alone. I still feel free to buck that trend and fly who I like at a price I feel fits the service. The general Y seat pitch on Niki was still better than the current BA.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:58 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by headingwest
Really? I never felt that the seat pitch on NIKI was any worse than the others. Certainly no worse than Iberia Express or Vueling.
Did you ever ride on their E190?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
It's been reported elsewhere quite a few of the flight and cabin crew have already left for other jobs.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Did you ever ride on their E190?
So you're talking about one particular aircraft? For what it's worth all the E190s that I've flown in have been a tight fit!

I always enjoyed flying NIKI, so the seat pitch was obviously not an issue....certainly not 'knee crushingly bad'!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Doubt it. Lauda has the backing of Thomas Cook, who will use the fleet to serve the leisure charter market. It is very unlikely that Lauda will repeat the Niki low cost experiment that ended rather abruptly with a sale to AB.

actually the operating ting cost of Niki were way lower compare to AB or germanwings
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:56 pm

Austrian press said they paid 50million €. Holy cow.

https://aktien-portal.at/m/mobile_boerse_news_wien.html?n=50000
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:52 pm

https://aktien-portal.at/m/mobile_bo...n.html?n=50000
If true, no wonder Mr Walsh walked away.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.

https://aktien-portal.at/m/mobile_bo...n.html?n=50000
That seems to refer to this article from Kurier - https://kurier.at/wirtschaft/lauda-z...ki/308.124.731 - which makes quite a bit of interesting reading.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:27 pm

Why? Perhaps that's what it was worth.

As I said earlier, you can bet that Willie and friends only wanted NIKI because they thought they were getting it on the cheap. They had never planned to buy it, it was never in their strategy.

Personally I'm glad that they never got their hands on it. The first thing they'd have done was dump as many employees as possible.

I say good luck to Lauda, he's a clever man who I believe has a passion for what he does and cares about the people he works with.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Time will tell if Lauda was clever or not. Niki has not been operating for several weeks now and I would imagine will require significant investment to get it back to where it was. I don't think the deal actually includes the aircraft which judging from the IAG bid were leased.

Still competition is to be welcomed by the consumer,
headingwest likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.