Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG, British Airways & Niki

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by bhbloke
Will be interesting price negotiations now that Lufthansa have sullied the Niki brand by grounding it. Guess that will play into IAG's hands to drive down the price?
40 million euro according to the German press.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
If IAG buys Niki it will get a hold of central Europe market and the crown jewel the German market with slots at congested airport such as WIE, TXL and DUS. Oneworld will have access again to the entire continent.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by RolfD
Oneworld will have access again to the entire continent.
Not if it's run by Vueling, as suggested upthread.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
While loving the idea of a OneWorld presence in central Europe again, I would not welcome that expansion of the Vueling brand. LH would love it and walk all over them. At least LH gives you a semblance of legroom, a drink, a snack and a punctual arrival. Vueling gives you none of those.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
While loving the idea of a OneWorld presence in central Europe again, I would not welcome that expansion of the Vueling brand. LH would love it and walk all over them. At least LH gives you a semblance of legroom, a drink, a snack and a punctual arrival. Vueling gives you none of those.
However Vueling will provide a lower price which is the driving factor for most people over legroom snacks and punctuality. The world has moved on from traditional SH operations.

Last edited by kanderson1965; Dec 29, 2017 at 5:05 pm
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Let's be honest -- the LH snack is not terribly appealing, and the LH densification is making their birds feel rather tight. I agree with your points regarding a drink and punctuality, however I suspect that LH would do everything possible to squeeze any IAG owned operation out of that locale which could be beneficial for passanegers (lower fares) but not for the long term sustainability of their business models
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The key question here has little to do with snacks and legroom, the heart of the matter is why is IAG doing this? The answer to my mind is that they want a backdoor route into Europe's second largest aviation market where they are currently under-represented. IAG have the biggest and third largest European markets pretty much sewn up. What model would suit them best? Bear in mind VY already have some footprint in DACH, I would have thought maintaining the Niki brand in the style of Aer Lingus the more likely outcome.
florens and Worcester like this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The key question here has little to do with snacks and legroom, the heart of the matter is why is IAG doing this? The answer to my mind is that they want a backdoor route into Europe's second largest aviation market where they are currently under-represented. IAG have the biggest and third largest European markets pretty much sewn up. What model would suit them best? Bear in mind VY already have some footprint in DACH, I would have thought maintaining the Niki brand in the style of Aer Lingus the more likely outcome.
Absolutely. Aer Lingus shorthaul is Easyjet quality. Much nicer than Ryanair but not full service.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:26 pm

Deal done.

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - British Airways’ owner IAG (ICAG.L) said on Friday it would buy Niki, Air Berlin’s (AB1.DE) insolvent Austrian holiday airline, for 20 million euros ($24.01 million) and provide additional liquidity to the company of up to 16.5 million euros.

Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Beeing the only bidder has advantages, of course. According to German Business papers, price was said to be 40 M €, so looks considerably cheaper, but the additional liquidity provided is almost equally large.

OK, future will show what role this new IAG member will have. Personally I hope they will make it OW member, covering the white spot left by AB, to cover Eastern Europe.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are some more specifics here on the FT's website (paywall), an extract below:
https://www.ft.com/content/358464e8-...3-513b1d7ca85a

Peggy Hollinger, Industry Editor

British Airways’ parent, International Consolidated Airlines (IAG), is paying a total of €36.5m to acquire Niki, the insolvent Austrian airline, after Germany’s Lufthansa pulled out because of competition concerns. IAG beat interest from other potential bidders with a bid of €20m to acquire the carrier and up to 15 Airbus A320 family single-aisle aircraft, as well as a portfolio of take-off and landing slots at airports, including Vienna, Düsseldorf, Munich, Palma and Zurich. IAG said it would also inject a further €16.5m to provide the carrier with liquidity.

The new company, to be a subsidiary of IAG’s low-cost carrier Vueling, will employ about 740 former Niki employees to run the operation. Willie Walsh, IAG chief executive, said: “Niki was the most financially viable part of Air Berlin and its focus on leisure travel means it’s a great fit with Vueling. This deal will enable Vueling to increase its presence in Austria, Germany and Switzerland and provide the region’s consumers with more choice of low-cost air travel.”
Elsewhere it is reported that Vueling will set up a separate, Austrian incorporated 100% owned subsidiary, and will be run separately from Vueling at least initially.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
The 15 aircraft makes more sense, but I suppose those are retained on a lease otherwise it looks like an incredible price given the going rate for an A320.

What also makes sense in not repeating the mistakes of BA Deutschland, another LCC is probably the safer business model. Will be interesting to follow hoe this evolves with Level.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
So this also means Niki will no longer be part of OneWorld.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:34 pm

So this also means Niki will no longer be part of OneWorld.
Correct, Mr. Walsh would have said something very different if that was the objective. However Vueling is now in the world of Avios.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Not if it's run by Vueling, as suggested upthread.
you were right, Niki will become a part of Vueling. who in their right mind will fly with vueling?
rossmacd, RoyalSwazi and Tafflyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.