Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG, British Airways & Niki

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by wyvern
Vueling is not that bad actually, I have flown them a few times this year on routes BA/IB don't fly and if you pay for priority checkin and boarding and an extra leg room seat it is very pleasant, and with Priority Pass for lounge access it is no different to flying BA shorthaul in Economy.

Where I would like IAG to take a leaf out of LH's book (and that of other other carriers with LCC subsidiaries/associated airlines too) would be (1) to offer Avios and TP/equivalent earning on all IAG flights across all IAG FFPs, (2) to allow spend of Avios across all FFPs, and (3) to extend applicable status benefits across all IAG airlines - while not all IAG airlines offer the same benefits, most offer some form of priority check-in/boarding/seat selection pax with status in their own programme. Extending status benefits in this way would cost IAG very little (maybe some lounge access costs at third party lounges, though they could exclude third party lounge access with other IAG-group FFPs), but would drive some sales to IAG airlines and increase customer loyalty.

Implementing these changes would also make things less confusing for passengers. At the moment flying on VY or IB and trying to earn BA Avios, or vice versa, is complex when it should be simple. At the moment with BA as my main programme, I am incentivised to fly on another OW airline if BA do not fly the route need, but there is little incentive to book VY, EI or Level if I need on a route not flown by BA or IB. If I want to earn Avios or TP flying with VY it gets complicated (book flight on BA site, then access on VY site to pay for seat selection and priority checkin etc).

If VY/a subsidiary is going to operate in Germany/Austria/Eastern Europe, at the moment there is more incentive for my to fly LH group and earn on *A and receive *A status benefits, however this could change if IAG offer earning, burning and status benefits across IAG.
What you suggest about full FFP benefits across all group airlines of course appeals to frequent fliers (what’s not to like); it would however seem to be at odds with IAG’s business model. There seem to be two airline groupings under the IAG umbrella - full service (BA/IB) and LCC (VY/Level). The divide also reflects whether or not they have long haul operations. EI of course is a mixed bag with LH routes and legacy tendencies (e.g. business class cabins) yet isn’t a OW member. Excepting EI, the plan seems pretty clear - if it’s an LCC carrier you only get an LCC product and no FFP. Even offering avios is little more than Shell doing the same for a tank of petrol and a Mars bar.

I suspect IAG have sound business reasons for this. Lounge access is far from cost free in ones own lounges, never mind third party offerings, which presumably need to be acquired solely for status pax on exclusively VY routes. A status passenger in an F lounge could get through far more than the ticket’s cost in JW Blue and Champagne. Whether or not offering status benefits might drum up extra business is quite academic if you believe you will lose money on that business.

So I tend to feel, although extending status benefits across all IAG carriers would be nice, I would struggle to argue a business case for it.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by florens

What about non-UK citizens? As a Swiss citizen, I can‘t set up an Avios account.
Set up an Aer Lingus account, they'll set you up an avios.com account as part of the process. It's been most useful to me for moving Avios from IB to BA, as I have a HHA.
florens likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by greg5
Set up an Aer Lingus account, they'll set you up an avios.com account as part of the process. It's been most useful to me for moving Avios from IB to BA, as I have a HHA.
Yes, that also works. When you make a booking on Vueling you are given three options in this space:
- Club Vueling (Vueling on Avios.com)
- Aer Club (Aer Lingus on Avios.com)
- Avios Travel Rewards Programme (the UK scheme)

My own view is that if you are doing more than a few flights on Vueling you best set up a Club Vueling account. Even if for no other reason that it's another transfer route for Avios transfer between airlines, when one route goes down. Also the email system gives advanced warning of deals and special offers, including targeted Avios bonuses. A similar argument can be made for travel on Aer Lingus, not least because many fares earn Avios on EI but not on BA. If a UK resident then and serious about all of this you are probably going to want all three plus of course Iberia Plus, the latter up and working fully.
greg5 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
A German court has agreed to allow insolvency proceedings to move to Austria for Niki. This could further complicate the deal and may end up scuppering it.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: Some
Looks like this is over:

Acquisition
RNS Number : 6328C
International Cons Airlines Group
23 January 2018

INTERNATIONAL AIRLINES GROUP UNSUCCESSFUL IN NIKI ASSETS BID

International Airlines Group (IAG) announced on December 29, 2017 that it had agreed to buy assets of the Austrian airline NIKI under the German insolvency process, subject to customary closing conditions.

On January 12, 2018 NIKI insolvency proceedings opened in Austria initiating a new sales process. IAG resubmitted its bid on January 19, 2018 and has been advised today that the bid was unsuccessful.

IAG is disappointed that NIKI will not be able to develop and grow stronger as part of the Group.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
More news here:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...-idUSKBN1FC0GR

It looks like it went back to Niki Lauda after all. Not so bad I'd say.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:46 am

So an Austrian court decides to sell it to an Austrian....hmmmm

WW will I’m sure expand Vueling and Level aggressively into Vienna now.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
I doubt that very much. Vienna will always be expensive to operate from. I think they only bidded for NIKI because they thought they would be getting something on the cheap!

I say good luck to Niki Lauda.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:04 am

Hopefully, if anything just to lower fares of OS/LX/LH in this part of the world.

I'd welcome IAG to these parts, just doesn't mean I would fly them
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:18 am

Why the secrecy?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Glad Niki didn’t go to Vueling, hopefully Niki will be successful and take over the vacuum left by AB and belair
headingwest likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by RolfD
Glad Niki didn’t go to Vueling, hopefully Niki will be successful and take over the vacuum left by AB and belair
Doubt it. Lauda has the backing of Thomas Cook, who will use the fleet to serve the leisure charter market. It is very unlikely that Lauda will repeat the Niki low cost experiment that ended rather abruptly with a sale to AB.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Yes does not look good given the far right parties in government and their Austria First policies. On the other hand, IAG is very disciplined when it comes to takeovers and won't overpay.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Worcester
Yes does not look good given the far right parties in government and their Austria First policies. On the other hand, IAG is very disciplined when it comes to takeovers and won't overpay.
On the other hand there's no real reason why Lauda or the creditors want the price made public, nor any complications to the "price" including delayed/conditional payments, rolled-forward lease commitments, etc..
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
IAG can wait a couple of years and when Niki is on the rocks again, make another bid.

I don't see a bright future of high profits and expansion for Niki, and another leisure downturn or chronic competitive pressure could see them up for sale again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.