Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hand baggage-only fares have turned people into monsters

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hand baggage-only fares have turned people into monsters

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Whenderson
OK, this is largely a rant, but I'm just venting. Thanks for bearing with.

I flew to Bologna for a weekend away with the other half and had a great time - apart from the flight there and back.

The "gate rage" was palpable both ways with people lining up early and jostling, and some people cutting the priority line, then getting shouted at but not caring, just to get valuable overhead luggage space.

The whole atmosphere boarding on both flights was horrible.

Even in Business (which I don't generally fly within Europe, but sometimes do) you are not guaranteed overhead locker space unless you make sure you're the first to board, which doesn't always happen if you're lolling in the lounge. (First world problems, I know, I know...)

I just don't know what the answer is. I think the airlines (in the US, now here) have created a monster that can't be undone

I know BA are introducing zoned boarding but I don't think that will help - groups 2 & 3 will still mill around the gate and block it, I'm sure. And pity poor group 5 who will be the ones with hand baggage only who get on last and have zero chance of a spot in an overhead locker. You pays your money, I guess.

BA passive-aggressively hands out the "bag must go under the seat in front" label, but then don't seem to follow up any enforcement. Some people ignore the label (either arrogant or don't speak English) and bung two bags (one labeled) in the overhead locker (ie flight home last night - definitely arrogant: challenged by American woman and he just sneered at her). I'm sure cabin crew staff must hate the whole scenario too.

As a Gold-Card holder I'm seriously considering ditching BA on European routes for easyJet...if you go for Speedy Boarding with them there just doesn't seem to be the same vile atmosphere that has developed on BA. Their ground staff seem more empowered to challenge those who are bringing on the kitchen sink.

Sorry, as I said, just venting...
The answer is easy, actually. Enforce the damn rules. Boarding with the wrong group or using the priority lane when you're not entitled to it? End of the line. Trying to lug on an oversize bag or more bags than allowed? Gate check. Got gate lice problems? Tell them they need to sit the f down until it's time for them to board. The leniency GAs show these overly entitled travelers for fear of being the next subject of faux outrage on HuffPo is absurd. The rules are the rules. Period. Everyone holding a ticket agreed to them at the time of purchase.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Vgravity
What’s your strategy CWS? At what point in boarding do you rock up? And have you ever struggled to place your bag in an overhead? Does it make a difference where you’re sat on the plane?

I’d love to rock up at the last minute, but get anxious about finding overhead space.
Ideally I like to be among the final dozen or so passengers, or even the very last one, I'd normally arrive at the gate about 22 minutes or so before departure time, and if they are still boarding or there is a scrum of people trying to board I just leave everyone to it for a few minutes, perhaps go off to get a coffee or something. The scrum tends to dissipate after 5 minutes or so, in my experience. I am always HBO and have one large bag, within dimensions, with everything in it. It isn't a rollaboard, more of a duffle bag, so squidgy, which is a crucial help. No second bag. It has never gone in the hold, and usually I find a spot somewhere close to where I'm sat. I'm not too bothered if it ends up a few rows behind me. Worst case scenario - you have to wait a minute or two on departure but quite frequently kind people pass it forward (doubtless so they can get to their own bag!). The bag can just about squeeze under the seat in front, and I've probably done that perhaps twice in the last 5 years or so on shorter hops, so that's below the 1% materiality threshold for me.

Just be polite and gracious to the crew and ground staff, but stay happy. Flying shouldn't cause anxiety!

I have to say on AA I would normally not leave it to the last moment for all sorts of reasons. Using the Priority lane during group 3 or so is a good compromise - those passenger will be on the other side of the tensa and the Priority lane will usually be clear at this point.
Revenge and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:42 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
Ugh, hell no, baggage issues are bad enough as it is. You realize that people are going to a destination and need clothing for when they arrive, right? I never understood that about those LCC fares that only include under-seat storage. And all it does it increase fees as people now have to pay for hold or overhead bin space.

In my opinion, the answer to easier boarding is to give everyone one roller bag - either in the hold (any allowable size) OR overhead (standard size). Of course the tracking logistics of that are complicated, and the airlines would rather gate-check the bags when the bins run out, than give up those hold fees.
Nice idea, but given that choice most people will plump for the overhead option. Result - too many bags in the cabin.

I'd turn it around as all those airport fees paid as part of the ticket ought to cover you for the cost of handling one bag. You get one hold bag free (the airline can comp more for higher status tiers), and whatever you take on board goes under the seat period. Overhead locker storage is the most in demand and limited commodity, so charge it per piece for people that insist on using it if they're too important to wait for the carousel like everybody else. The airline knows exactly how much overhead space is allocated - once it's gone it's gone, and no faffing on departure trying to stow excess bags in every spare corner of the aircraft. Job's a carrot.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
I think the point really is why should anyone have to put hand luggage under the seat in front? There is little enough room. Is there a further discount for this inconvenience? Of course not! It's been said before and I agree, the hand baggage only fare turned BA into a cattle pen at the gates, at least the more modern aircraft are now introducing additional overhead bin space and also the BA crew should be stopped from putting their bags overhead. Also have you seen the size of them sometimes? Pop them in the hold lovies..
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: # Neodymium #
Yup.
I choose to travel with a small hand baggage item, that always fits under the seat.
I sacrifice my leg room, in return for zero stress, and the ability to board late/last with zero stress.
Pros and cons.
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:51 pm
Suspended

The whole issue is a result of airlines caving in to the public's demand for lower fares. If the fares were double what they are today and as they should be compared to fares in the past, the problem would go away. https://www.theatlantic.com/business...oticed/273506/

Instead, the airlines have caved in and as a result, you get all these issues like HBO fares and fees for a bag of peanuts, etc. which the public in their ignorance of being the victims of their own demands, complain about.

If I had my way, overhead bins would be removed completely from all planes. Nothing to argue about then.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by simons1
Standard BA issues then. Someone in Waterside Towers making the policy and staff on the ground who don't enforce it. Guaranteed fail and irritation all round as the OP showed.
Oh dear, how true, so how long will the group boarding policy last?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I am always HBO and have one large bag, within dimensions, with everything in it. It isn't a rollaboard, more of a duffle bag, so squidgy, which is a crucial help.
I needed a small holdall earlier this year and picked up the bag which c-w-s has recommended in a few threads (on my phone or I’d link to them). The thing which sold me was a comment along the lines of it being “invisible to gate agents” Not yet had occasion to use it as carry on but it is quite cavernous and when not in use folds up inside itself with the aid of zippers to something about the size of a large paperback. I’ll have to dig out the thread and leave a proper review!

I agree, a lot of stress in boarding is caused by people being inconsiderate around others. In my case, my usual medium backpack (North Face Borealis) can go under the seat in front at a push, but unless it’s almost empty I much prefer it in the overhead so that I have some room for my feet. There is almost always enough room for it sitting on top of others’ suitcases, and still leave space for jackets etc on top. What is frustrating is when people take up all of the space with their bags without placing them sensibly, eg putting smalll bags end on, or putting smaller plastic bags in a space that would be better used for a suitcass - leaving lots of space available but in small pockets.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Ideally I like to be among the final dozen or so passengers, or even the very last one, I'd normally arrive at the gate about 22 minutes or so before departure time, and if they are still boarding or there is a scrum of people trying to board I just leave everyone to it for a few minutes, perhaps go off to get a coffee or something. The scrum tends to dissipate after 5 minutes or so, in my experience. I am always HBO and have one large bag, within dimensions, with everything in it. It isn't a rollaboard, more of a duffle bag, so squidgy, which is a crucial help. No second bag. It has never gone in the hold, and usually I find a spot somewhere close to where I'm sat. I'm not too bothered if it ends up a few rows behind me. Worst case scenario - you have to wait a minute or two on departure but quite frequently kind people pass it forward (doubtless so they can get to their own bag!). The bag can just about squeeze under the seat in front, and I've probably done that perhaps twice in the last 5 years or so on shorter hops, so that's below the 1% materiality threshold for me.

Just be polite and gracious to the crew and ground staff, but stay happy. Flying shouldn't cause anxiety!

I have to say on AA I would normally not leave it to the last moment for all sorts of reasons. Using the Priority lane during group 3 or so is a good compromise - those passenger will be on the other side of the tensa and the Priority lane will usually be clear at this point.
Thanks, handy advice! Now which bag do you have?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Vgravity
Thanks, handy advice! Now which bag do you have?
The 43 litre Skypak. Here is one of many suppliers
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skypak-53cm.../dp/B00EHG1C82
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
The whole issue is a result of airlines caving in to the public's demand for lower fares. If the fares were double what they are today and as they should be compared to fares in the past, the problem would go away. https://www.theatlantic.com/business...oticed/273506/

Instead, the airlines have caved in and as a result, you get all these issues like HBO fares and fees for a bag of peanuts, etc. which the public in their ignorance of being the victims of their own demands, complain about.

If I had my way, overhead bins would be removed completely from all planes. Nothing to argue about then.
One thing about the article you linked is the 'dopamine rush' mentioned when people book bargain flights. I know that feeling. One that people on this forum are probably familiar with.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Ideally I like to be among the final dozen or so passengers, or even the very last one, I'd normally arrive at the gate about 22 minutes or so before departure time, and if they are still boarding or there is a scrum of people trying to board I just leave everyone to it for a few minutes, perhaps go off to get a coffee or something. The scrum tends to dissipate after 5 minutes or so, in my experience. I am always HBO and have one large bag, within dimensions, with everything in it. It isn't a
rollaboard, more of a duffle bag, so squidgy, which is a crucial help. No second bag. It has never gone in the hold, and usually I find a spot somewhere close to where I'm sat. I'm not too bothered if it ends up a few rows behind me. Worst case scenario - you have to wait a minute or two on departure but quite frequently kind people pass it forward (doubtless so they can get to their own bag!). The bag can just about squeeze under the seat in front, and I've probably done that perhaps twice in the last 5 years or so on shorter hops, so that's below the 1% materiality threshold for me.

The 43 litre Skypak. Here is one of many suppliers
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skypak-53cm.../dp/B00EHG1C82
perfect thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:55 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I assume this is referring to the pre-February boarding groups - Group 3 in the olden days broadly corresponds to group 7 now. Group 3 now are Platinums/ OW Sapphires.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
Originally Posted by Smid
Now if you've decided to save money with a HBO fare, then you shouldn't be getting wound up getting your case onboard in order to be off quick. Accept the hold luggage free of charge.......
At one point in my career I was taking up to 30 short haul trips a year. Admittedly my company paid , but if HBO fares had existed then I would have done the right thing by the company and chosen them anyway. BA were less punctual in those days too, so the last thing I would want was spending more time waiting at baggage carousels.. Nor do I want my valuables or business materials in the hold, nor carry a second bag for those things just in case. I am reminded of the time when two of my colleagues came off a flight from Spain , and at the baggage carousel one noticed their bag lock broken....and found some of the other colleagues kit in their bag!

These issues raised by the OP predate HBO, particularly at winter time with bulky coats, and I was glad my travel requirements were much less when HBO came out ....I really wondered at the time if the policy and process wonks at Waterside had ever actually been on their own flights. In fact, I still do!

Last edited by LostAntipod; Nov 20, 2017 at 5:26 pm Reason: Carousel
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
My pet hate is different but similar, again related to selfish self-centered fliers

How many times have I entered the cabin via elite Prtyboarding a little late as sauntered down from the airline lounge, boarding at same time as the usual last 10rows of economy passengers are let onboard, AND see an economy passenger/(couples) for say ROW-60 place rolla-case and hand-lugage-bag in overhead bin of first Y rows eg ROW 21 or ROW 31.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.